Isometric Training

The most important concept behind HST is of progressive load. That is progressively increasing the load applied to the muscles. You can add isometric training to your HST cycle but it might be hard to progressively increase the load in a controlled way when using this kind of exercise. That is much easier accomplished by adding weight to the bar.

Basically, what I was thinking is that you do regular push ups correct? Then later you do a more advanced push up that would require more strength to accomplish etc. You catch my drift?

I think you can use isometric training, but I'm not sure it is what you would "want" to use if size is your primary focus. Isometrics will work for beginner lifters and is also a good way to rehab tendons, but for overload it just becomes a drain on your nervous system without a lot of...growth stimulus for lack of a better word. Eccentrics are probably the most potent when it comes to long term growth (as apposed to beginner growth) but normal shortening and lengthening contractions are the most practical.

Not quite sure what you mean with your push-ups example?

Isometric training is a form of static training eg. pushing against an immovable object, where there is no movement of the joints during the period of exertion. ie. the length of the muscle(s) being worked does not change.

Static-holds with dbs or a bb would be an example of isometric training. Good for grip strength which might help with all types of deads, chins, rows etc.

You could definitely incorporate isometrics within an HST cycle (but when possible, negatives would be better for hypertrophy). They would probably be best used towards the end of a cycle because it is possible to generate high tension with an isometric contraction (you can isometrically contract against a heavier load than you can concentrically contract against it). The downside to isometrics is that they tend to produce a strengthening effect only in the joint angle that is being trained. That works out just fine in the case of static-holds, as gripping a bar with the hands closed is exactly the position you want to strengthen.

To use static holds in an HST cycle you could use time and load as variables to work with for a progression; each time you did them you could add more load and/or try for more total time holding onto the bar.

As far as rehabbing tendons goes:there is some research on using eccentrics for rehab'ing weak or injured tendons:

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/26/3/360.abstract

I tried eccentrics for a forearm/elbow tendon injury. It did seem to help speed recovery compared to everything else I had tried. Not very scientific, I know.

Last edited:
Ex. Normal Push Up then move toward triangle push up.

Also, couldn't you just put weight on your back while doing a pushup to add more resistance?

A normal push up is not an isometric exercise.
If you paused for a long time at the bottom (or any point really), then you'd be making it isometric.

But in your example, yes if you move from easier to harder variations of Push Ups, it may be useful for a traditional HST setup because you have a form of progression to work with.
Having said that, I think most beginners would very quickly progress to a point where they'd need a weighted vest to continue progression. And those vests aren't cheap.

Back