JUST BEGAN HST TODAY AND NEED SOME GOOD ADVICES!

lace5555

Hi I just began HSTtoday, it was my first 15s workout and I would like to have some opinions about my workout

here it is:

EXERCISE SET WEIGHT INCREMENT

incline bench press 2 10 pounds each workout
dips 1 10 pounds each workout

lat pulldowns 2 10 pounds each w.o.
rowing 2 10 pounds each w.o.

front shoulder press 1 10 pounds each w.o.
rear shoulder press 1 10 pounds each w.o.
lateral raise 1 10 pounds each w.o.

shrugs 1 15 pounds each w.o.

barbell curls 2 5 pounds each w.o.
tricep extension 2 5 pounds each w.o.

incline leg press 2 40 pounds each w.o.
leg extension 1 10 pounds each w.o.

standing calves 2 5 pounds each w.o.

abs 2

TOTAL 22 SETS ABOUT 70 MINUTES
3 TIMES A WEEK
This almost a copy of the workout they give on HST website

I think that 22sets is maybe too much

1- Should I do only 2 sets per bodypart?

2-for barbell curls and lying tricep extensions, I increase the weight 5 pounds each workout is it ok?

3-when i will be in the 10s, the first week some weights I use are less heavy than some weights I used in the 15s

for example: on incline press, the last workout of the 15s I use 130 pounds for 15 reps, but in the first 4 workouts of the 10s the weights will be 100-110-120-120 pounds for only 10 reps,how can it be promoting growth since the week before I was doing 130 for 15 reps?
Do I have to add some extra (supersets,dropsets,etc)in order to compensate for that?

any advice would be appreciated

thank you

For 15s you could probably knock it down to 1 set for each. And yeah..70 minutes sounds a bit too long. I'd say you prolly want more like 45minutes total.

Can you really use 10lb increments on lateral raises? And why are your increments for leg press so high? Also, too many sets if you ask me, JMO.

You prolly want 5lb incs on small bodyparts (usually upper body) and 10lb incs on the larger (usually legs). Your smallest inc shouldnt normally be below 50% of your rep max.

Not to disregard anything Al and Hammer suggested, but I would probably go with closer to 10lb increments for upper body and 20lb increments for legs. For lifts such as lat raises, bi curls, etc. it is ok to go with smaller increments or to repeat workouts w/ the same weight to induce a sufficient stimulus.

don't make it a point to keep to a strict method of a certain amount of increment for small and a certain amount of increment for larger.. my weights change from 35 for decline flies up to 415 for leg press.. i do about a 25 lb increment for the presses but only 5 with the flies.. my rule of thumb is pretty much if the weight is under 75 or so it's a 5 lb increment.. between 75 and 200 or so it's a 10 lb, and then it becomes very different if you go much higher than that

Lace555

Lets see, mmmm :)

Shoulders
Military press alternate with lateral raises + bent over raises. Skip the behind neck press, alternate the sets every other workout.

Increments, build a excel sheet and use this:

From your 1 rep maximum - for 15's build up to 65 - 70%
10's - 75 - 80%
5's - 85 - 95%
5's with negatives 100% or slightly above.

Your increments should be 5 - 10% rather than using pounds or kilos, I also thinkk that you will struggle to increment 10 pounds for lateral raises, even 10 % might be a little too much.

2 sets should be used from your 5's onwards, the 2nd set being only a add on to the first, if your warm up to a certain weight then 1 set should do as that will be your working set.

Hope this helps
happy.gif

Fausto

baby a - yeah I agree with you...on something like bench. I was more talking about single armed WO like hammer curls or something. It also depends on what RM is aswell. But yeah, we're basically saying the same thing.

Guys

It is always safer to work with percentages, that way you never go wrong, regardless of the weight you use! :confused:

Rule of thumb

Upper body 5%
Lower body 10%

Back