L-Carnitine?

There is some interesting recent research on carnitine I thought I'd post here...

J Nutr 2003 Jan;133(1):84-9 Related Articles, Links

Carnitine and choline supplementation with exercise alter carnitine profiles, biochemical markers of fat metabolism and serum leptin concentration in healthy women.

Hongu N, Sachan DS.

Department of Nutrition and Agricultural Experiment Station, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996-1900, USA.

We sought to determine the effects of supplementary choline, carnitine and a combination of the two with or without exercise on serum and urinary carnitine and biochemical markers of fatty acid oxidation in healthy humans. Nineteen women were placed in three groups: 1) placebo, choline or carnitine preloading period of 1 wk followed by 2) supplementation with choline plus carnitine during wk 2-wk 3 and 3) all groups exercised in wk 3. Although there were no changes in the placebo group, serum and urinary carnitine decreased in the choline-supplemented group during wk 1. Introduction of carnitine to the choline group restored serum and urinary carnitine. Serum and urinary carnitine increased during wk 1 in the carnitine-supplemented group and, although the introduction of choline to this group depressed serum and urinary carnitine, they remained significantly greater than control. Serum beta-hydroxybutyrate and serum as well as urinary acetylcarnitine were elevated by the supplements. A mild exercise regimen increased the concentration of serum beta-hydroxybutyrate, and serum and urinary acylcarnitines; it also decreased serum leptin concentrations in all groups. The effects of supplements were sustained until wk 2 after cessation of choline plus carnitine supplementation and exercise. We conclude that the choline-induced decrease in serum and urinary carnitine is buffered by carnitine preloading, and these supplements shift tissue partitioning of carnitine that favors fat mobilization, incomplete oxidation of fatty acids and disposal of their carbons in urine as acylcarnitines in humans.

Check out a related thread at Avant Labs, where a member posted the entire article.

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/avantfo....&t=2977

The dosages (if I'm reading it right) was less than a gram of l-carnitine (l-carnitine l-tartrate) and choline (bitartrate) each.

1) I mentioned hongu et al earlier in this discussion

2) How long before a l-carnitine-l-tartrate is available with BIG hype from a supplement manufacturer?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hongu N, Sachan DS. Caffeine, carnitine and choline supplementation of rats decreases body fat and serum leptin concentration as does exercise. J Nutr 2000;130:152-7

That's the rat study. This one is more recent and the subjects are humans.

I agree carnitine hasn't lived up to it's "fat burning" hype. But l-carnitine tartrate is actually pretty cheap from places like Beyond-A-Century. And choline bitartrate is cheap, too. Considering the low doses used in the study, trying to replicate its results wouldn't really be expensive.

I'm not saying it would be successful...

Yeah, that is such a retro-supplement. Kinda like "gamma oryzanol" or "smilax". Something you might find if you went to Lee Haney's garage sale.

This is off-topic, but any of you guys try "Froogle"? (froogle.google.com). You can find just about anything. (Including choline bitartrate.)

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=choline+bitartrate

Looks pretty cheap.

Froogle, that's priceless. This is the first I've heard of it. I think I'll be using it alot now though. Thanks Jon
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jon Stark @ April 04 2003,2:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hongu N, Sachan DS. Caffeine, carnitine and choline supplementation of rats decreases body fat and serum leptin concentration as does exercise. J Nutr 2000;130:152-7
That's the rat study. This one is more recent and the subjects are humans.
Dude

Read what I said after the journal reference

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And those authors also have some other research in humans, but it shows very little at this stage.
and the comment is right, there is little evidence on Lcarnitine at the moment

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I agree carnitine hasn't lived up to it's "fat burning" hype. But l-carnitine tartrate is actually pretty cheap from places like Beyond-A-Century. And choline bitartrate is cheap, too. Considering the low doses used in the study, trying to replicate its results wouldn't really be expensive.
I'm not saying it would be successful...
There is little evidence that even the combo would make much of a difference in the longrun (in terms of fat loss, i have the full article) at that doseage, altho they said they only used 0.68g per day to eliminate the fishy breath that happened from the larger doses.

Back