Ladder sets and 4+2 clusters

wungun

So I've been on my 5rm phase for almost 6 weeks now, hitting new PR's and feeling pretty good.
But I'm surely maxing soon... As I'm in a cutting diet, I don't want to stop to do an SD as I have maybe 3-5lbs to drop til I'm happy. So I might try ladders and 4+2's on my main compounds to keep stimulating growth.
Ladder sets might be better in the 15-10rm part of the cycle, so I might just drop back down for 2 weeks of 10's.
4+2's seem like a great way to extend your routine...
You basically lift your 5rm max for 4 reps, stopping before failure... Rack and rest for 10 or 15 seconds, then grind out 2 more reps.
I dunno if this type of technique is better for strength or hypertrophy, but one benefits the other!

Myo, rest-pause, max-stim ... they're all similar in kind in execution; CNS sparing to reach an effective volume.

Just remember this - at the end of the day, the 'techniques' are not going to build more or less strength or muscle. All they are ever going to be are potentially optimal or near-optimal programming mechanisms that may or may not suit you better to put the work in in the more/most efficient manner.

Don't fall back on saying 'I do myo reps' and then wonder why the numbers aren't moving six months later.

I agree Jester. Myo Reps are an optimizing tool. My experience has been that they seem to deliver the best results on more advanced lifters who require a lot of effective volume but do not have the time or stamina to perform umpteen full sets. They can actually cause more harm than good on beginning and intermediate lifters. Choose your tools as wisely as you choose your program.

Back