Leg Results from HST

C'mon man, I know you're the bulkmeister and all that, but really, is there gonna be a difference to your heels between a $25.00 running shoe and a $95.00 "lifting" shoe? I tried on a pair, and couldn't see any. I even squat on a piece of rug barefoot sometimes.
Just like Aahnold, I think.

I think it would be a lot easier to do deep ATG squats wearing the lifting shoes with a heel. I have to lean forward more than I think I should be to keep my balance with cross trainers on which probably isn't doing my back any favors. I think the heel would help get rid of that problem.

But they are pretty darn expensive. I don't really want to pay that much for shoes just for squatting. Especially since I'm trying to save money to build a home gym. I may have to break down and do it though as I don't want to end up hurting my back.

I have seen some Adidas weightlifting shoes that are $200+
wow.gif
, but mikeynov recently posted a link to a weightlifting club that sell their own shoes for only $85 at the Max-stim forum.  $85 is not alot of money for a decent sports shoe.  My hiking boots cost $125 and are well worth it, (they have super support and grip for very rugged rock climbing/hiking and I currently wear them when I lift.)  I am considering buying a pair of the cheaper lifting shoes....(NOT ADIDAS)

All well and good: if it makes you feel better, do it. Personally, I've never had a foot slip, never felt like that 1/4" of foam under my heel was putting me 'out of position' or the shoe failing to flex with my movements. Truth be known, when I'm squatting 450 or yankin' a dead weight off the floor, my mind is on my spinal alignment and the weight. If I'm thinkin' of anything else, it's the completion of the rep.

Still, ya gotta love the stylish nature of those All Stars!

I agree w/ ya Quad. I have never noticed any problem. But guys who actually use the shoes claim it helps their squat....i.e. tighter shoes with non-compressible soles = better lifting. I know mikeynov wears them and recommends them. I wish I could borrow a pair and do some heavy squatting in them to see if their really is a difference. It seems going barefoot would be better than wearing running shoes according to that article.

What I actually found is that I squat a little less in oly shoes, but my actual mechanics are better, and the movement just FEELS more right.

Front squats in particular benefit from oly shoes, due to the nature of needing to stay upright to properly balance the weight.

Interestingly, it's also almost easier to proprioceptively 'keep your weight on your heels' with oly shoes as there is a difference in feel between the front and back of the shoe that makes it obvious when your weight shifts. So I think it's also a good learning tool for that.

I think the only advantage to these "olympic shoes" is that they have a heel.  I don't buy into all the BS about how they're more sturdy and they will improve your squat because it's a tight fit.  I do concede that it is more difficult to stay on your heels when wearing flat shoes.  I think the degree depends on how flexible your ankles are.  It doesn't bother me enough to spend money on the stuff.  Plus, I'm used to dressing like white trash when I work out so would feel odd wearing some expensive shoes.  

One thing is for certain, if you feel that you have to buy special shoes to squat, always buy the shoes with a heel.  The only guys who should be squatting in chuck taylors or other flats are powerlifters who have a stance as wide as most power racks.

Back