Friday 12/08/16

Morning session

LBBS (kg)
W-U: 60/10,10, 80/5, 100/5
120/5,5,5,5,5,10
Belted for sets @120
Last rep paused for sets of 5 @120

Notes
Squatting in the morning sucks. 120 felt like 135.

Left SC joint still sore. I can't put the bar in the racked position for front squats. Thankfully, back squats are ok.

Friday 12/08/16

Evening session

Deficit Sumo DL (kg)
W-U: 60/5, 80/10, 100/5, 110/5
120/1,1,5,5,5
130/5
Off 1" board plus O-shoes; hook-grip

Notes
You have to walk before you can run and, in my case, you have to crawl before you can walk.
Left SC-joint healing up so will be sticking with lighter reps for a little while.
Deficits should help me to develop more power off the floor. I will be doing lots of these.
Learnt a few things:
I've got tight hips (Scottish hips, as Dan John would say) so I need to work at keeping knees out more at the start of the pull, so that shins are vertical. My toes are not right out at the plates but I think having a slightly narrower stance is better for me. I may experiment with semi-sumo (a la Ed Coan) as well.
I've been allowing lats to lose some tightness at the start of the pull. Easy to fix that. Definitely felt better.
Hook-grip definitely felt better for my left shoulder too.
Left shoulder didn't feel any worse after this session so I think that's a good sign.

Hook grip is so far in front of reverse it isn't funny.

I would probably be doing a max effort and a repetition day for these, at this distance from the meet. Too late for a 12 week block setup and I'n unconvinced by those as optimal anyway

Reactions: Lol
Sunday 14/08/16
Evening Session
Deficit Sumo DL (kg)
W-U: 60/5, 80/5, 100/5, 120/5
130/5 - belted from here on
135/5
140/5
150/5
1" deficit plus O-shoes; hook-grip

Conventional DL
150/5 @RPE 7
O-shoes; hook-grip

Notes
Set up for sumo with shins at rings in knurling.
Focused on lat activation to stabilise shoulders and to keep bar close to body entire time.
Breaking 150 at a total deficit of ~1.5" didn't seem any harder than previously without a deficit. Good sign.
Final set of conventional deads for an extra bit of lower back work at relatively light load.
SC joint still sore but improving.

Tuesday 16/08/16
Afternoon session
LBBS (kg)
W-U: 60/10,10; 80/5; 110/5
130/5 - belted from here on
135/5
140/5,3,5
O-shoes

Notes
Back to 140 for sets of 5. It's been a while. Not my best form though.
Focussing on rock solid upper back at the start of each rep.

Wednesday 17/08/16
Night session
Bench (kg)
W-U: 60/5; 70/3; 80/3
100/3,3
102.5/3
90/7+4
No belt; wrist wraps

Parallel-grip Chins
10 - shoulder-width grip
7 - wide grip

Hip mobility exercises

Notes
Pushed for time. Haven't benched for two weeks and only managed a single floor press session in that time. Definitely a little down on strength tonight but not too bad.
Chins harder than usual tonight too.

Last edited:
Friday 19/08/16
Morning Session
Press (kg)
60/5,5,5,5,6

Evening Session
1.5" Deficit Sumo DL (kg)
W-U: 60/5,5; 80,5; 100/1; 120/1,1
Hook-grip

1.5" Deficit DL (kg)
120/1
140/1
150/1 - belted from here on
160/1
180/1 - RPE 10
O-shoes; hook-grip

Deadlift (kg)
160/6 - hook-grip
160/6 - straps
150/10 - straps
Socks; belted

Notes
In evening, began with sumo but got fed up with a light weight feeling so blasted heavy.

Decided to do some deficit conventional deads up to a max effort. I thought I might get a double @180 but first pull felt hard as heck so didn't bother trying.

Finished on regular deads in socks. After two sets @160, I could feel my thoracic erectors fatiguing halfway through the set @150. By the 10th rep I couldn't keep them tight at all once I broke the bar off the floor, so I didn't push for any more reps. Lower-back was tired afterwards but not as bad as before. Will see how it feels tomorrow.
Need to work on rows to get my upper-back strength up and I need to work on activating quads. Sumo deads may well help with that so I will continue to persevere with them.

Last edited:
I would do rack pulls from just below the knee for upper back. High pulls don't suck either.

Rows are 'ok', but I think maximising the chain movements will help considering the time line.

Anything snatch-grip doesn't suck either.

Hard to be unhappy with that deficit max.

@Jester: Cheers mate.
I recall that heavy rack-pulls did indeed help my deads come up in the past. I'll see if I can do something similar with blocks.
I may try some deficit sumo and conventional haltings. For some reason I've forgotten to give them a go.
I guess snatch-grip deads are equivalent to about a 4" deficit for me.
I actually laughed when I saw the 94s at the Olympics snatching over 180. Moradi got 182. Many people watching will have no clue just how ridiculously powerful these elite lifters are. Makes me feel such a worm.

Saturday 20/8/16
Evening Session

RDL to Knee (kg)
130/15,15
140/10,10
Straps

Floor Press (kg)
W-U: 60/15; 80/10; 90/5
105/5,5 - 3rd fingers on rings
105/4 - pinkies on rings
105/5,5 - 2nd fingers on rings
Wrist wraps

Shrugs (kg)
115/20,20
Straps

Kitchen Worktop Dips
BW/20,20

Notes
RDL to knee was obviously starting from the top, then lowering down to knees, brief pause and back up. Lats locked tight. Back tight and in extension. I'm hoping these are going to toughen up my lower-back. They felt good and my lower-back was pumped afterwards.
Experimented with hand placement for floor press. I think my wrists are ok with 2nd fingers on rings. I will try benching like this next time and see how I get on. It will slightly reduce ROM.
Shrugs were for left SC joint rehab. It's still sore but much better than it was. Performed these strictly and at a medium tempo.

So, in my last DL session I must've tweaked a nerve in my lower-back: lower lumbar region. Left leg is pretty weak now. I'm used to erectors always getting sore and fatigued but that soreness goes away quite quickly, so I knew this was different.
For the past few days I've been hobbling about like an old man (oh, I am an old man!). Anyway, I thought I'd try benching last night as I thought it had improved things by doing lots of mobility work, and it was going to be my only chance to bench this week. Unfortunately, benching made matters worse. Arching didn't feel particularly bad at the time but it evidently caused the same nerve to get irritated again. So I'm now unable to squat, DL or bench until it's calmed down.
I've been thinking about what to do, in view of the time I have left before the meet. I think I will avoid any ME deads before the meet. Squats and bench aren't the problem, so I mainly need to be careful with deads.
I think sumo is kinder to my back, even though I don't like it, so I'm going to focus on it for training and see where I get to before the meet.
I think sumo will provide enough carry over to conventional. On meet day, I will decide whether to pull conventional or not. If my sumo is up to 170 by the meet then I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pull 190 conventional for a single lift and just hope I get away with it. It won't matter if I reinjure it on meet day as I can take a couple of weeks off training afterwards.
What I would also do, if I had access to one, is use a GHD machine. May see if I can knock something up here. Perhaps good-mornings would be a good assistance movement?

Injuries suck.

I still think for your meet that hbbs and sumo would be better given your skill set, age, lower back endurance etc.

Sun 28/08/16
Still hobbling about but back is improving. Main issue is now waves of pain in left side of pelvis and left leg. These come and go depending on what I'm trying to do which isn't much. I'm hoping that in a week or less I'll be good to go.

Tried some weighted dips in the corner of kitchen worktop last Thursday.

5 X 10 X BW+10kg (98kg)

No soreness the next day which was surprising. Will have another go with a bit more weight later today.

Mon 29/08/16
Evening session

Sumo DL (kg)
60/10, 80/10, 110/10,10

HBBS (kg)
60/10, 80/10,10

Notes
Marked improvement in left-leg and pelvis discomfort during day so decided to try some light lifting in the evening.
For sumo, I tried going "plate-to-plate" in order to give my hips a good workout. I'm finding that glute activation is much more difficult in the splayed leg starting position but I can really feel my hams and adductors getting fired up. In a conventional DL, glute activation is a big part of how I feel ready to lift. I think this may be why I feel so weak when trying to break the bar in sumo.
Squats were uncomfortable so I kept it light and focussed on good positions and getting a bit of quad burn.
Feeling positive.

Wednesday 31/08/16
Night session

Sumo DL (kg)
60/10, 80/5, 110/5
130/5 - no hook (for grip test)
140/2 - no hook
150/0 - no hook, almost had it!
150/5,5 - hook grip
No belt throughout as I forgot about it but didn't feel I needed it.

Notes
Low-back/pelvis issue improving everyday. All good. Still going to take it steady.
For sumo, feet set "plate-to-plate" again. Pointed toes out more. This definitely helped my leg drive and breaking the bar off the floor, although my quads are still feeling left out.
Tested my over-over grip for a few sets without hooking. Almost had 150 but had to lower it carefully so as not to drop it.

Thursday 01/09/16
Night session
About 6 weeks out from the meet.

Sumo DL (kg)
60/5, 90/5, 110/1
130/1 - no hook (for grip test)
140/1 - no hook
150/1 - no hook
160/1,1 - hook grip
160/5 - hook grip
160/7 - straps; belted
No belt except for final set @ 160.

Notes
Low back is still a bit tweaky but no new problems after yesterday's deads so thought I would have another go tonight. I need a lot of practice.
Feet positioned "plate-to-plate" again with toes out.
Tested my over-over grip again too for a few singles and managed 150, lowered under control.
After a solid 7 reps @ 160, I'm definitely feeling a bit more positive about sumo. Will see if I can manage 170 next sumo session.

Saturday 03/09/16
Morning session

Floor Press (kg)
60/15, 80/10
100/10
105/6,5,5,5
3rd fingers on rings

Dips (kg)
B/W(89) x 24

Evening Session
LBBS (kg)
60/10, 80/5, 100/5
130/5,5 - belted from here on
140/2

Notes
Weighed in at 89kg. Getting a bit fat but I'm not bothered as long as I'm under 93kg.
First floor presses and LBBS for a couple of weeks. Not too bad. Squats felt really heavy. Have lost strength but it will hopefully come back as quickly as it went away.

Sunday 04/09/16
Evening session

3 mile walk

Sumo DL (kg)
60/10, 90/5, 110/3
130/1 - hook-grip from here on
150/1 - belted from here on
160/1
170/1 - PR
175/1 - PR
160/5 - straps

Notes
A ton of DOMS in legs going into this session but finally managed a 170 sumo and then raised it 5. Pleased with that. Only 10kg away from my recent conventional pull now. Back issue is clearing up nicely. Hook grip was fine @175.

Back