Lower Back Pain While Stretching

Chthonian

I've always been pretty flexible. I used to be able to fall into splits and straddles with little trouble. Of course, I had to warmup to do this, otherwise I'd pull something. I learned that the hard way.

Anyway, I find now that I can still bend down to touch my toes with no issues. I can palm the floor with a minute or two or warming up. The thing is, sometimes on the descent and usually on the way up, I feel a kind've ache in the right portion of my lower back.

It's nothing really painful, it's a little twinge. I never feel it while deadlifting or squatting, and rarely when bentover rowing (and I do this at 90 degrees).

My question is: What do you think it could be? Anything serious? It's not something that just happened recently, it has felt this way for months, but there's no pain so I feel no threat.

I tried using a foam roller and stretching more (only seems to ache when I stretch the hamstrings a lot - the right hammy, obviously), but it still persists. I'm wondering if I should just stop trying to stretch my right ham so far, as maybe that's just making it worse.

I doubt it's an issue of posture, as mine has always been more than adequate.

Spine flexion pushes the disc nucleus posteriorly which can cause a disc protrusion. if the disc protrusion comes into contact with the dura mater it hurts.
Try extensions in lying before and after you stretch.

Back