Lower Back Pain While Stretching

Discussion in 'General Training' started by Chthonian, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Chthonian

Chthonian New Member

I've always been pretty flexible. I used to be able to fall into splits and straddles with little trouble. Of course, I had to warmup to do this, otherwise I'd pull something. I learned that the hard way.

Anyway, I find now that I can still bend down to touch my toes with no issues. I can palm the floor with a minute or two or warming up. The thing is, sometimes on the descent and usually on the way up, I feel a kind've ache in the right portion of my lower back.

It's nothing really painful, it's a little twinge. I never feel it while deadlifting or squatting, and rarely when bentover rowing (and I do this at 90 degrees).

My question is: What do you think it could be? Anything serious? It's not something that just happened recently, it has felt this way for months, but there's no pain so I feel no threat.

I tried using a foam roller and stretching more (only seems to ache when I stretch the hamstrings a lot - the right hammy, obviously), but it still persists. I'm wondering if I should just stop trying to stretch my right ham so far, as maybe that's just making it worse.

I doubt it's an issue of posture, as mine has always been more than adequate.

2. Spine flexion pushes the disc nucleus posteriorly which can cause a disc protrusion. if the disc protrusion comes into contact with the dura mater it hurts.
    Try extensions in lying before and after you stretch.

3. Chthonian

Chthonian New Member

Wait, what exactly is it you want me to try? Describe the movement, please.