Maintain body weight while losing body fat?

mickc1965

Is it possible to maintain bodyweight at say 180lbs (for me that is between 2500 and 2750 calories) and still increase muscle mass and lose body fat at the same time rather than the usual bulk then cut method.

If you're towards the obese side and within your first year of serious training it might be possible for a little while. The dramatic lose fat and gain muscle phase of working out usually only happens at the early onset and then it becomes more of a small change over time process.

correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is possible over a very long period of time?

you could stay at same weight and convert fat to muscle very slowly, say drop from 18% to 15% or from 15% to 12% over 6 months?

I am pretty sure I have seen that done.

My thoughts were over a longer period of time as you get stronger then muscle 'should' grow and therefore if maintaining body weight the body fat levels should drop - I know that science says no to this but after being in the obese range of BMI (220lbs in untrained state) I do have issues into the bulk and cut scenario. I would say current BF level would be circa 15% as can see outline of abs, on this note anyone out there think that bodpod better than hydrostatic weighing?

Well obese (my words) according to BMI calculations, but yes was overweight. Totentanz how would you suggest I do it, would bulking up say 7lbs over 6 to 8 weeks then cutting the following 6 to 8 weeks then repeat work?

If you're at 15%, I would suggest you continue to cut down to 12% or so first. Then start bulking with the aim to add 1-2 lbs a week and continue that until you hit 15% again, cut back down to 12% at that point.

that is what everyone on all boards seems to say, that the highest % fat you want to be at is 15%

problem is I have great difficulty working out what my BF% is. I know there are pictures and all, but it doesnt exactly work out, as I have great difficulty looking at myself objectively. I know from before every time I guessed my BF and then got measured by a pro I was off greatly (up to 5%)

what is the only way to do this? buy calipers and learn how to use them on yourself?

Calipers are the most reliable method for the home user. Just use the three site calculator on linear-software.com - thigh, pec, abdominal - those are the easiest to do yourself. Obviously it is not exact but it is a good enough ballpark.

You could bulk now and go from ~15% to ~20% and then cut from there, it won't cause you to develop aids or cancer or anything. Just most people prefer to stay in the 10-15% range for aesthetics.

I agree with Totz.

If you want to be BIG... which is what a lot of us took up this sport for.. then bulk up to 20% - especially in the winter months (well it is here) and then cut in time for summer.

Personally, being a skinny kid and teenager, I was obsessed with being big for years. I got there. So, I was just over 20%, possibly 22%, bf, but you know what, I didn't care! I just wanted to be BIG!

Yes, abs are nice...on the beach.. but for me, its all about the big arms and thighs and shoulders etc...

Each to their own...

Good luck :)

Back