Man on a Mission

OK, the final starting HST routine. Thanks to all of you and your advice I have decided on the following routine. I tend to over complicate things at time so I am going basic for the first cycle and will change after 8 weeks as needed. Riggins helped put me on the "vanilla" track and I appreciate it.

My first routine

Squats (Leg Press every other session)
Lying Curls
Bench
Pulldowns
Seated Rows
Shoulder Press
Curls
Pressdowns
Standing Calf Raises
Abs and cardio will be done post workout and cardio will also be included on 2 off days. Weekends are left for rest, recovery and family.

This should give me a solid base and make the first cycle a success coupled with a better diet and cardio.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Workout 1
Squats
Leg Curls or SLDL
Incline Bench
Shoulder Press
Pulldowns
Bent Rows
Barbell Curls
Abs
Calves

Workout 2
Rack Deadlifts
Incline Bench
Dips
Shoulder Press
Rear Laterals
Pushdowns
Calves
Abs
</div>
Some comments:
- Did you notice that in the 2nd workout you have 4 exercises that targets your triceps: incline bench, dips, shoulder press, and pushdowns. That might be a little excessive.
- There is also plenty of work for the biceps in the 1st workout: pulldowns, bent rows, and barbell curls. It might be ok.
- You have back work from pulldowns and bent over rows in the 1st, but only deadlift in the 2nd, so I would suggest you switch the pushdown in the 2nd for the pulldowns in the first.
- Then, to balance this out, switch the shoulder press for standing upright rows in the 2nd (less triceps work, more biceps).
In conclusion: The triceps will be hit 3 times in the 1st, and 2 times in the 2nd, and biceps will be hit 2 times in both the 1st and 2nd. The back will be hit equally much in both workouts.

This would look something like this:

Workout 1
Squats
Leg Curls or SLDL
Incline Bench
Shoulder Press
Pushdowns
Bent Rows
Barbell Curls
Abs
Calves

Workout 2
Rack Deadlifts
Incline Bench
Dips
Upright Rows
Rear Laterals
Pulldowns
Calves
Abs

Edit: Ops! You were a little too fast for me there (you had time to change your routine while I commented your previous). But now you have some comments, at least.

<div>
(nkl @ May 23 2008,1:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Workout 1
Squats
Leg Curls or SLDL
Incline Bench
Shoulder Press
Pulldowns
Bent Rows
Barbell Curls
Abs
Calves

Workout 2
Rack Deadlifts
Incline Bench
Dips
Shoulder Press
Rear Laterals
Pushdowns
Calves
Abs
</div>
Some comments:
- Did you notice that in the 2nd workout you have 4 exercises that targets your triceps: incline bench, dips, shoulder press, and pushdowns. That might be a little excessive.
- There is also plenty of work for the biceps in the 1st workout: pulldowns, bent rows, and barbell curls. It might be ok.
- You have back work from pulldowns and bent over rows in the 1st, but only deadlift in the 2nd, so I would suggest you switch the pushdown in the 2nd for the pulldowns in the first.
- Then, to balance this out, switch the shoulder press for standing upright rows in the 2nd (less triceps work, more biceps).
In conclusion: The triceps will be hit 3 times in the 1st, and 2 times in the 2nd, and biceps will be hit 2 times in both the 1st and 2nd. The back will be hit equally much in both workouts.

This would look something like this:

Workout 1
Squats
Leg Curls or SLDL
Incline Bench
Shoulder Press
Pushdowns
Bent Rows
Barbell Curls
Abs
Calves

Workout 2
Rack Deadlifts
Incline Bench
Dips
Upright Rows
Rear Laterals
Pulldowns
Calves
Abs

Edit: Ops! You were a little too fast for me there (you had time to change your routine while I commented your previous). But now you have some comments, at least.</div>
I like the routine you posted and it is now what I am going to follow for 8 weeks. Thank you my friend, I really appreciate it.

Now I promise, no more changes, LOL

You are welcome!
smile.gif

<div>
(nkl @ May 23 2008,1:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You are welcome!  
smile.gif
</div>
Really appreciate it.

<div>
(HstRiggins @ May 23 2008,2:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice, congratz on finally working it out lol.   I'm like you, i overthink most things as well.</div>
It is a curse sometimes, LOL

Welcome Johnie

I agree that you have found the right kind of training for a guy your age after beating your body to &quot;death&quot; on other programs.

You'll find HST a lot kinder to your older joints specailly the 15's phase which I (a little younger than you at 41) find indespensable because of joint health.

I am not going to tell you that you should engage simplify and Win type routines, but you will notice that most of us around your age does, this is beacuse it allows you to put in a little more violume and that accomodates us well due to years of training.

You can stick to your program for starters and do a cycle likle that, do put in Deads though at least once p/week. I personally find both weighted chin ups and dips essential but that may be a personal choice matter too, your pick.

Because you want to cut, you should &quot;trim&quot; your nutrition by getting rid of all &quot;unhealthy&quot; type foods, and then you could use cardio sessions, on days off, I felt pretty good stepping upi my cardio routine by doing some before training as a warm-up but that is a personal choice.

So far, you got a fairly good routine, you may wanna &quot;fix-it&quot; up a little or just engage, else have the best of time and...success...hope to hesar reports of good fat loss within the next two months or so.

Cheers
wink.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ May 24 2008,3:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Welcome Johnie

I agree that you have found the right kind of training for a guy your age after beating your body to &quot;death&quot; on other programs.

You'll find HST a lot kinder to your older joints specailly the 15's phase which I (a little younger than you at 41) find indespensable because of joint health.

I am not going to tell you that you should engage simplify and Win type routines, but you will notice that most of us around your age does, this is beacuse it allows you to put in a little more violume and that accomodates us well due to years of training.

You can stick to your program for starters and do a cycle likle that, do put in Deads though at least once p/week. I personally find both weighted chin ups and dips essential but that may be a personal choice matter too, your pick.

Because you want to cut, you should &quot;trim&quot; your nutrition by getting rid of all &quot;unhealthy&quot; type foods, and then you could use cardio sessions, on days off, I felt pretty good stepping upi my cardio routine by doing some before training as a warm-up but that is a personal choice.

So far, you got a fairly good routine, you may wanna &quot;fix-it&quot; up a little or just engage, else have the best of time and...success...hope to hesar reports of good fat loss within the next two months or so.

Cheers
wink.gif
</div>
Fausto, thanks so much. So, it looks like I may add deads and some chins and dips into my routine based on your advice. I can see that HST is a live being and open to change.

I will implement your advice as I am sure it will be for my benefit.

<div>
(johnnielow @ May 23 2008,5:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My first routine

Lying Curls
Bench
Pulldowns
Seated Rows
Shoulder Press
Curls
Pressdowns
Standing Calf Raises</div>
I have made a simple routine with which I am very pleased. I alternate it A / B fashion, meaning on one workout I do the A routine and in the next I do the B one and so on. It is:
Squats / Deads
Bench / Dips
Bent over BB Rows / Chin ups
Incline DB Curl / Skull Crushers
(whatever I feel like: calf, abs, hams...)

Doing the compounds first let me have them covered first and if I need to drop something because I ran out of energy I can drop the isos.
The one thing I am thinking of changing is adding a Military Press alternated with upright rows but other then that I am pretty pleased with my routine.

<div>
(electric @ May 24 2008,7:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(johnnielow @ May 23 2008,5:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My first routine

Lying Curls
Bench
Pulldowns
Seated Rows
Shoulder Press
Curls
Pressdowns
Standing Calf Raises</div>
I have made a simple routine with which I am very pleased. I alternate it A / B fashion, meaning on one workout I do the A routine and in the next I do the B one and so on. It is:
Squats / Deads
Bench / Dips
Bent over BB Rows / Chin ups
Incline DB Curl / Skull Crushers
(whatever I feel like: calf, abs, hams...)

Doing the compounds first let me have them covered first and if I need to drop something because I ran out of energy I can drop the isos.
The one thing I am thinking of changing is adding a Military Press alternated with upright rows but other then that I am pretty pleased with my routine.</div>
That looks to be a very solid routine. I may have to give that one a try later on down the road. Thanks!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fausto, thanks so much. So, it looks like I may add deads and some chins and dips into my routine based on your advice. I can see that HST is a live being and open to change.</div>

Its a pleasure Johnny, that is what we're here for anyway.
wink.gif

Now, look although I recommend adding those two compounds + deads, I would be weary of having too much stuff into one routine, for example what electric suggests is very much in the line of simplify and win routine types, and many of us guys practice that type as I mentioned before!

Whatever you decide to do, don't overpopulate it, and your best bet would be to use a A/B type routine that way you can use more variety without overdoing things.

Cheers
biggrin.gif

This is what I came up with, will drop the isos is I am burnt out on any given day,

Workout #1
Squats
Lying Curls
Bench
Pulldowns
Seated Rows
Shoulder Press
Curls
Pressdowns
Standing Calf Raises

Workout #2
Leg Press
Lying Curls
Bench
Dips
Pulldowns
Rack Deadlifts
Shoulder Press
Rear Laterals
Standing Calf Raises

I have started a log in the journal section where I will be posting my routines starting Monday. Thanks for all of the help.

<div>
(Fausto @ May 24 2008,2:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fausto, thanks so much. So, it looks like I may add deads and some chins and dips into my routine based on your advice. I can see that HST is a live being and open to change.</div>

Its a pleasure Johnny, that is what we're here for anyway.
wink.gif

Now, look although I recommend adding those two compounds + deads, I would be weary of having too much stuff into one routine, for example what electric suggests is very much in the line of simplify and win routine types, and many of us guys practice that type as I mentioned before!

Whatever you decide to do, don't overpopulate it, and your best bet would be to use a A/B type routine that way you can use more variety without overdoing things.

Cheers
biggrin.gif
</div>
Thanks again. I tweaked my routine and will be sure to watch for doing too much at once.

Cool Johnny

Your best bet would be to include sios's if you doing any during the 5's, thus the reason to keep routines a little brief, from there on is tweaking time, to most of us anyway.

Now, what can I add, time to hit the gym...
laugh.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ May 24 2008,4:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Cool Johnny

Your best bet would be to include sios's if you doing any during the 5's, thus the reason to keep routines a little brief, from there on is tweaking time, to most of us anyway.

Now, what can I add, time to hit the gym...
laugh.gif
</div>
Thanks Fausto, and I am so ready to hit the gym.

One last question, you figure your 15,10 and 5 rep max and then take 9-14 days of SD off before you return to lifting correct?

Just trying to make sure I have it crystal clear.

Yep you got it, usually theguys take a week to figure those out, one day for each rep scheme, then take the 9 to 14 day off and...start again.

Happy lifting mate!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ May 24 2008,6:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yep you got it, usually theguys take a week to figure those out, one day for each rep scheme, then take the 9 to 14 day off and...start again.

Happy lifting mate!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Thank you my friend. This week I will find my weights and then take that 9 days off and then prepare for my mission.

Johnnie, you can always drop off exersizes during a cycle as you need, but you may find that the 15's are pretty daunting right off the bat by the 3rd or 4th workout. You just keep the big compounds no matter what. I started out with 13 exersizes. These days I've been just doing 3 or 4, but I'm adding some volume now for a change from that, and to prioritize chest and arms again.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 24 2008,7:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Johnnie, you can always drop off exersizes during a cycle as you need, but you may find that the 15's are pretty daunting right off the bat by the 3rd or 4th workout. You just keep the big compounds no matter what. I started out with 13 exersizes. These days I've been just doing 3 or 4, but I'm adding some volume now for a change from that, and to prioritize chest and arms again.</div>
That is kind of what I thought I would do. I know that the big compound movements have to stay and the smaller isos may have to be skipped. Gonna give it my best, all I can do.

Thanks quadancer!

Back