managing volume

xarfox

Does anyone else struggle to find the right volume when doing strength training? I find that the only way to keep the weights increasing is to do the full 5x5 workout, while eating like a beast, and doing no other workouts (e.g. cardio). If I try to run and squat in the same week, my joints last about 10 days and then I'm ready for a break again.

Right now I'm playing football 1x week and I'd like to work in swimming (low impact), but cannot maintain the typical 5x5 schedule.

To maintain strength, I've dropped to lifting 2x week and do 3x4x4 instead of 5x5x5
3x squat
4x bench
4x row

i've added some weighted ab work to help with the bending and twisting often done on the field, and i haven't pulled any muscles since

has anyone managed to do strength training while still doing other activities, or is it strictly an off season thing?

if so, what is the proper way to maintain strength, am I doing it right?

i'm a 27 yr old hard gainer 6ft 190-195lbs.

thanks!

Could you explain this a little bit? I don't understand what you mean by 3 x 4 x 4. Is that a 3 x 3 of squats, and 4 x 4 sets of bench and rows?

Bottom line, if you are well conditioned there is no reason why you can't maintain strength while doing competitive aerobic activity. The swimming especially should be nothing but good for you, even if you're trying to increase strength and keep the activity to low-impact. The football is the item where perhaps you'd want to alter your training a bit to both enhance your condition for the field, and not inhibit your play.

I'd almost think that trying to increase strength while in an active football season isn't a very good idea as you're not going to be able to give your body enough time to heal from training AND playing. I would think your injury potential would increase as a result. My two cents.

it meant 3 sets of squats, 4 sets of bench, and 4 sets of rows

everything is 5 reps, just like with madcow 5x5, ratcheting the weight up each time

football is over tommorrow, so i'm going back to a 5x5 2 days a week. instead of doing a light day in the middle i am doing swimming

Good luck with the new cycle, xarfox. Given that you're lifting twice a week, push yourself and truly see where your strength will go. Keep the board up to date with your progress.

From what I've reading gaining strength during the in-season is usually tough to do. All the periodization charts of I've seen thus far always reduce strength training to maintenance levels during the in-season.

Skeptical Quantum wants to know: You say you eat like a beast, but do you know your average caloric intake as measured by software? And the macronutrient breakdown thereof? Many a skinny guy merely undereats while in his mind he is stuffing himself.

Back