Marijuana, Effect on Gains?

Calkid

I ran a search and didn't find much, so here goes: what is marijuana's effect on gains? I have trouble eating as much as I'm supposed to, and smoking it would definitely help with that. Barring legal issues, is this a good idea, to treat it as an appetite aid supplement?

I don't think this is the solution for your appetite problem. If you smoke it, you get all the hazardous side-effects from smoking, which will compromise your health goals in general and outweigh any potential benefits by far.

I'm assuming you're not a chain smoker already, in which case the additional side effects might be negligible. But then, the better solution would be giving up smoking for good ;) .

If you don't smoke it Clinton-style, the side-effects might even be more severe than with smoking tobacco, because you draw the smoke deeper into your lungs.

If you could find an alternative way of ingesting it, it might work. Try space-cakes, then you kill two birds with one stone by increasing cals as well ;) .

I've heard that marijuana has an estrogenic effect, so rather avoid it.

Here's one that says it inhibits testosterone "production or secretion" for a minimum of "24 hours."

Barnett G, Chiang CW, Licko V. Effects of marijuana on testosterone in male subjects. J Theor Biol. 1983 Oct 21;104(4):685-92.

So that's kinda old... I'm sure there's more updated info. Anybody?

I suggest low-Carb beer. Less side effects.

Kidding.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Calkid @ Nov. 03 2003,10:12)]Here's one that says it inhibits testosterone "production or secretion" for a minimum of "24 hours."
Barnett G, Chiang CW, Licko V. Effects of marijuana on testosterone in male subjects. J Theor Biol. 1983 Oct 21;104(4):685-92.
So that's kinda old... I'm sure there's more updated info. Anybody?
I've seen a more recent one that showed no effect on serum t levels from marijuana smoke.

Anyway, smoking anything is unhealthy so I don't do it.

Take an appetite stimulant, then. Resorting to Cannabis seems more like a kind of justified excuse (in terms of just for the sake of increasing caloric intake).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (flow @ Nov. 03 2003,7:54)]I don't think this is the solution for your appetite problem. If you smoke it, you get all the hazardous side-effects from smoking, which will compromise your health goals in general and outweigh any potential benefits by far.
I'm assuming you're not a chain smoker already, in which case the additional side effects might be negligible. But then, the better solution would be giving up smoking for good ;) .
If you don't smoke it Clinton-style, the side-effects might even be more severe than with smoking tobacco, because you draw the smoke deeper into your lungs.
If you could find an alternative way of ingesting it, it might work. Try space-cakes, then you kill two birds with one stone by increasing cals as well ;) .
The only benefit to lifters i can think of is pain relief for pinched nerves and possibly reduced cortisol as it eliminates stress.

Id dispute that smoking weed causes respiratory related health effects any where near that of tobacco (which seems to be largely down to polonium from fertilizers).
Marijuana cancer scares originate from mexican weed that was bombed with paraquat by DEA planes.

Although the amount of potential carcinogens produced by burning weed are much higher than tobacco it doesnt seem to create much of a cancer risk, theres several theories about this. One infamous US study actually found tumours in lab rats to be reduced.

Eating or vapourizing will give a superior effect as long as you
do it properly - dissolve into fat or alcohol before eating and dont set fire to the carpet/yourself with a home-made vapourizer!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]which seems to be largely down to polonium from fertilizers

largely? What about the inherent carcinogens produced by burning the weed?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Marijuana cancer scares originate from mexican weed that was bombed with paraquat by DEA planes.

burning and inhaling ANYTHING will produce a variety of hazardous substances. add to that the fact that 'hash' is often mixed with other additives/fillers.

Who smokes pure weed? Typically people are smoking some kind of amsterdam type hybrid, and typically they do so using tobacco to produce a better burning spliff.

Also, there is more tar in cannabis than in tobacco. I couldnt even begin to name all the known and possible carcinogens that are produced and inhaled by smoking tar.

Eating is a different story. That is more of a social/political issue than a health issue. The chioce is yours

Well I do go to Berkeley, and weed happens. Part of the heritage
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A little periactin or ketotifen would serve your needs well enough, Calkid.

Those are appetite aid supplements? Are they effective/how well do they work?

With respect to the dangers of smoking, as of right now I don't care. I don't think smoking weekly or biweekly (which is the current rate) is going to have effects remotely on par with smoking cigarettes at a normal frequency. I'm referring to more hormonal effects, or anything that would affect the growth process.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Calkid @ Nov. 04 2003,10:10)]Well I do go to Berkeley, and weed happens. Part of the heritage
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A little periactin or ketotifen would serve your needs well enough, Calkid.
Those are appetite aid supplements? Are they effective/how well do they work?
They work well. They do make you temporarily lethargic, though. Then again, so does Cannabis. I'd choose them over Cannabis. I've used Ketotifen before. Helps immensely.

I don't like things that alter my mind-state (unless they enhance it, such as Aniracetam).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't think smoking weekly or biweekly (which is the current rate) is going to have effects remotely on par with smoking cigarettes at a normal frequency.

POTENTIALLY all the risks will still be there!
but i understand your question....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm referring to more hormonal effects, or anything that would affect the growth process.

hmmm...it would probably have an effect on the quality of your workouts. for example the night after a session, you MIGHT be lacking in concentration etc. so dont plan your workouts the day after a smoking/eating session.

Also even a biweekly smoke will provide the whole carbon monoxide issue. CO binding to your RBCs. your workouts MIGHT suffer.

I've checked out ketitofen online -- is there any way to buy it that's not $70-$100 for a mere month's supply? If it costs that much I'd rather just resign to gorging myself on a full stomach.

Back