Mass of earth changing... Inducing more gravity... Hypertrophy effects....

Physick

Okay, I need to get something sorting out. I've got 2 different scenarios for you. Which of them will elicit the most muscle hypertrophy, and why?

Scenario 1:
Planet Earth INSTANTLY increases its mass by 50%, elevating the gravity that pulls on every one of us accordingly (g = G * (M / r^2), which would be higher than 9,81 N/kg).

Scenario 2:
Planet Earth GRADUALLY increases its mass by 50% over the span of 6 months. Gravity will slowly pull harder and harder on us, reaching its peak after 6 months.

Now, the first scenario examplifies the typical weightlifting routine to induce hypertrophy. Soon, the muscle will get 'tough as leather' and not respond to the fixed increased demands any more (no more microtrauma).

The second scenario allows muscle trauma every single day to be taking place (HST-like), little by little, increasing the muscular size without it ever getting the chance to get 'tough as leather', because the muscles' adaptation response 'cannot fully catch up with its loading demands'.

I just want this principle cleared out, because IN THE END, IN BOTH SCENARIOS WE'LL BE 'LIFTIN' THE SAME (INCREASED) BODYWEIGHT'. Would the second scenario allow us to be more 'inefficient' and produce more muscle mass to deal with the gradual change?

Hope to see some interesting answers :D

Last edited:
No this does not apply to HST versus typical weight lifting. You need to adjust the scenario to look like this:

1. Earth's gravity immediately raises by 50%

2. Earth's gravity begins to increase and never stops.

HST isn't about increase the load and eventually stop. Increasing the load is what stimulates growth, so we not only increase the load during a cycle but also from cycle to cycle so that over the course of years you will keep getting stronger and stronger.

Back