max stim- my thoughts

coach hale

Max-stimulation my thoughts

If you have not tried Max-stim I would recommend you give it a go. I have tried just about everything imaginable concerning training and nutrition regimens. I have had success with various protocols. With the exception of when I first began training (so long ago cant really remember my progression) my strength gains have never came as rapid as they have with Max-stim. As a bonus my other training (combat sports) has not suffered as chronic fatigue has been pretty much eliminated. I think many of the critics of Dan’s program have changed their minds as the results can’t be denied.

Dan has spent endless hours reviewing and analyzing scientific strength and nutrition data. If you ever talk with Dan this will become obvious. This guy can recall studies and the researchers conducting them like you would not believe.

When Dan first introduced max stim to the world I was lucky enough to be one of the first to participate. Since then I have had numerous athletes perform derivatives of Max-stim. All with the exception of one experimenter reported great results (hard to use this one as an example as he was also performing in addition to traditional bb type training).

You can download the Max-Stimulation manual here http://hypertrophy-research.com/maxstim/page4.html

Don’t be afraid to try something new and don’t be afraid to venture from the popular bb pathway of endless reps, sets and feeling the pump and buying one million supplements

Thanks
Coach Hale
www.maxcondition.com

''With the exception of when I first began training (so long ago cant really remember my progression) my strength gains have never came as rapid as they have with Max-stim''

A strong statement. Cheers for positing that Jamie, its always good to hear from an elite athlete who trains elite athletes.

Max-stim works. Period.
You don't need to do consecutive reps and get fatigued or a 'burn' to get hypertrophy. All you need is to strain your tissue with tension and progress that tension over time with adequate volume (workload).
I have clustered my reps into small sets or done max-stim for almost a year now. You can't argue with nearly 20 lb.s of mass added naturally in one year.
cool.gif

Powerful stuff. Very powerful stuff.

Liegelord recently told me to add some max-stim to my plateaued lifts (deadlift & bench), so it's very interesting that I see your post a mere day later
smile.gif

I briefly read the manual, but will pore over it in more detail in the coming weeks. I think when my cut is over at the end of May, I'm going to swich it up to Max Stim. I won't be trying to gain weight, per se, but certainly I'll be looking to increase my strength...maybe even compete in a pl tournament.

I'm of the "less is more" crowd myself, so this philosophy fits right in my comfort zone as well. If anyone on these boards has used this method, I'd sure like to see any posted results.

I was gonna give this a go when it first came out but didn't after i read lyle's comments on it on his board.  Has he changed his mind on it since then?

Do you you find as well that you lose much relative strength?

A lot of Lyle's stuff is very sound but I wouldn't say he holds a candle to Dan's knowledge on mechanisms for hypertrophy. Max Stim really does work very well. You may have to alter your exercises a bit in order to make it a practical method (time wise) for some muscle groups (eg. to avoid lots of time un-racking, setting-up and re-racking for each rep during squats). It is very well suited to machines which require very little set up time, but a lot of bb exercises work well too. I like to set up two machines and then after each rep I move to the other machine (eg. machine bench to pulldowns). I can only do this if I go to the gym later in the evening when it's quiet.

I'm wondering if Max Stim is a good idea after the fives. I mean, you are puttered out from hitting the wall with them, and technically should be hitting a deload. But then you switch up and do 20 rep sets with a maximal weight? Would not M/S be better suited to build with when you're fresher? Perhaps even before the fives?

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 08 2007,08:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm wondering if Max Stim is a good idea after the fives. I mean, you are puttered out from hitting the wall with them, and technically should be hitting a deload. But then you switch up and do 20 rep sets with a maximal weight? Would not M/S be better suited to build with when you're fresher? Perhaps even before the fives?</div>
That's a really good question....but just to clarify, do you mean jumping right from the fives to 20 reps @ 110%, or do you mean going from fives, then immediately starting a fresh M/S cycle from the beginning, then deload?

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 08 2007,08:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm wondering if Max Stim is a good idea after the fives. I mean, you are puttered out from hitting the wall with them, and technically should be hitting a deload. But then you switch up and do 20 rep sets with a maximal weight? Would not M/S be better suited to build with when you're fresher? Perhaps even before the fives?</div>
Quad,

Are you currently at your 5RM, if so how many reps total? 25 (5X5)

Use this 5RM, and do them ala MS. Use whatever time is needed in between reps up to say 30 secs, so maybe 5 secs intitially and increase this as needed. Do this from the very first rep, don't wait until you are already snockered.

If you can do 25 reps, then up the load (5-10%) next time and see how many you can do, continue to do this until you can't do 25 reps and see where you end up at, load wise. Even if you have to use 30 secs from the begining.

already snockered.

Dan Dan alway with the fancy mumbo jumbo
biggrin.gif

Yeh Max-stim lets you get in more work in less tie with less fatigue
cool.gif

@dan moore: the rest phase between each rep shouldn't last longer than 30 secs? Some people in here posted that their m-time is about 50-60 secs.
rock.gif
Any notions on this? Is a short rest period a crucial aspect of max-stim?

Just to throw my 2 cent in, max-stim works and works well. It works great with deadlifts. Other exercises that it works well with are rows, chins and dips because there is no racking the weight. I had success with it even with my bench press.
biggrin.gif

I had never been able to get to chins with 100 lbs and did it finally last month or so. Before I hurt my wrists I was using max-stim for OH presses and was getting consistent results.

I did sort of a circuit for a month or so before I got hurt. On Saturdays, because there were not many people at the gym, I would set up 4 exercises: squat cleans, push-press, chins and dips. The weight on each would be at least 10 lbs more than my 5rm. I'd do 1-2 reps on each exercise and move to the next, then start over. I'd get 6-8 reps per exercise. During the week, when I did my 3x5, I'd always hit my top sets.

It may not look like a lot of work, but trust me, with those loads, after you finish, the only thing you'll want to do is go home, eat and go to sleep. I may take a month and just do this MWF.
biggrin.gif

Dan, I'm just beginning a cycle after my SD, so it was a rhetorical question. I clue in to your method, but had thought that the way Leige is doing them was the proper way. (it's been quite a while since I skimmed the site) Your way would be better for me since I don't quit the 5's until I'm done in, strengthwise.
I was planning on doing 3's after this cycle, but I may want to try MS for deads and maybe squats, if I can get my rack built.

<div>
(MoDog @ Apr. 08 2007,16:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">@dan moore: the rest phase between each rep shouldn't last longer than 30 secs? Some people in here posted that their m-time is about 50-60 secs.  
rock.gif
 Any notions on this? Is a short rest period a crucial aspect of max-stim?</div>
no, not really (within reason)

Yo Dan, I thought the Short rest peroid was an important part of Max-Stim? What about the whole 90% MVC thing?

Cheers for your help

<div>
(style @ Apr. 10 2007,10:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yo Dan, I thought the Short rest peroid was an important part of Max-Stim? What about the whole 90% MVC thing?

Cheers for your help</div>
Correct but what we don't know is how 30 sec vs 60 secs actual changes neural compensation. For some a 60 sec break in between reps may keep them at ~90% MVC or so while others who are more adapted to highly anaerobic workouts my have to use shorter rest times.

For instance Ron emailed me last week and was telling of a friend of his who is rather well built and cut and his workouts have remained around using 20 RM. When Ron had him try MS, he used only 5 secs rest between reps and was still able to get 100 reps done
ghostface.gif
. As an aside; not only does this give credence to my past ramblings on metabolic vs mechanical efficiency and adaptation but also on progression.

So the importance of the time is relative and what is more important than the actual seconds involved is to rest only long enough to complete another rep, 5 secs, 10 secs, 20, 30 60, not important.
wink.gif
Of course when approaching the 60 sec mark be prepared for a long work out. But this can also be worked via circuit type training as long as differing muscle groups are involved.

Ok, so you recommend taking as much time between reps so that ideally each rep is at 90%MVC, but if you take longer then don't sweat it?
(not that I'd sweat it anyway
biggrin.gif
)

I'm just starting my 5's at the mo and after that I'm going to switch to max-stim and check it out. I'm figuring on an A &amp; B workout every other day or maybe just 3X a week doing,
A
Deads
Chins
Inc Bench
Shoulder Press

B
Squats
Bent over row
Dip
Shoulder Press

Also up my cals from mild deficit to mild surplus and give it a bash.
J
smile.gif

Back