max-stim

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jan. 25 2008,17:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(domineaux @ Jan. 25 2008,16:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm not an accountant.  I don't need to know where all the pennies are, and I aint gonna look for them.  This is how I equate to Max-Stim.

HST and adequate nutrition = a great combination that works.  

We're just beating a dead horse.</div>
Okay, you've managed to lose me. What are you talking about?

Max-Stim is a remarkable method of controlling fatigue. It allows a significant increase in time under tension with more weight than can be lifted in straight sets. It follows the principles of HST.

What horse is it that you are beating...?  
rock.gif
</div>
I couldn't make sense of it either, I liked the dead-horse-beating image though.
smile.gif

<div>
(stingblood @ Jan. 25 2008,14:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I used to have a 5RM of 75 kg with HST now Max-stim i can push 85 kg in a conventional way (=continuous reps).

That's it but I will never forget the day (last summer) when I switched to Max-stim -&gt; I gained hard rock muscle on my biceps even that I was dieting -&gt; this is quite impressive don't forget it.

wink.gif
</div>
And this is how it should be.
biggrin.gif

I must resolve to do at least one cycle of Max-Stim this year. Maybe I won't do it for all exercises because I only have free-weights but I can definitely design a program around it that should show me how I respond and, of course, it'll all be recorded in my log. For the time being I will continue to incorporate some MS reps into my HST cycles during the long weeks of 5s.

QP: as far as I am aware, the idea of waiting for super-compensation to occur is bogus as far as hypertrophy is concerned. Muscle will grow as a response to microtrauma even while the loading that caused the microtrauma continues. Wait a mo and I'll try to find Bryan's thoughts on it... OK, found it. Here's a quote from BH's T-Nation interview:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One example is the idea of &quot;super compensation. This idea, first described in the mid-50s by a Russian scientist named Yakovlev, was used to explain glycogen replenishment in the liver. It had nothing to do with muscle hypertrophy. The whole concept is just a gross misunderstanding and misapplication of the research and human physiology. Nevertheless, it became the foundation for traditional bodybuilding routines.

About this same time, research looking into the actual mechanisms of muscle growth began to appear. As I compared the research used to justify the training methods of the day, I realized that those studies didn't say anything about how a muscle grew. They only explained how the body stores glycogen, or if it was actual exercise research, it was about how to train a track athlete for the competitive season. Like I said before, they were simply misapplying research from another field.</div>

Joe: it may be the wrong thread but it's a cool pic of Mr Levrone. I think the 'recently natural' look is what we see on a lot of men's fitness mag covers. Most natural folks will still not be able to attain that look because they have never dabbled with the dark side and because they are just not as genetically gifted. Mr Levrone's tan really helps him look good too. Pale skin which refuses to tan, like mine, really doesn't do you any favours in the healthy looking department. I would be more than happy with that look if I could attain it one day (and I should be able to avoid the stretch marks).

Uhhh...mixed parentage like his would probably have made you good lookin' too...it ain't a tan, man!
What I couldn't figure out is why he'd want to ADD tan at the contests.
I hope Coach Hale's book tells the story on supercompensation. I've been one of those mislead by that concept.

Just look up supercompensation. Basically, without getting too into it, all it pertains to is when you deplete your glycogen stores through exercise, then carb up afterwards - the muscle can store more glycogen than is normal for a short period.

<div>
(domineaux @ Jan. 25 2008,16:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Been doing HST several years now.  I know I do a good job of micro-traumatizing my muscles.

Eating right is critical to getting gains. You tear down the muscle tissue and the nutrition builds you back bigger and stronger.

A darned simple concept.  

I'm not an accountant.  I don't need to know where all the pennies are, and I aint gonna look for them.  This is how I equate to Max-Stim.

We're just beating a dead horse.</div>
Ok...

Accountants are noted for spending days and hours studying accounting records of their client... just to find where they are out of balance a few pennies.  They will ferret out those few pennies at great expense.

My thinking on the pennies = small stuff

So, I think HST works well for me.  I follow a simple set of rules.  Do the HST workouts, eat the right food in quantity and supplement.  I've continually gotten good gains following this simple procedure.  

If I were to take on Max-Stim, well maybe it would work for me maybe not.  

The account looking for a few more pennies = is it like my changing my workouts looking for a few more miniscule gains.

I've heard it said, &quot;the bowflex works great too&quot;

Oh. Thot it was about exersize and protein synthesis- the two hour 'window of opportunity'. Some don't believe it exists despite studies done.
TBH, I use a carbo/whey shake 1/2 hr before my workouts and sip throughout, so I doubt I qualify for much glycogen depletion, unless lack of cardio causes the muscle to react that way to anaerobic exersize.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 26 2008,18:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Oh. Thot it was about exersize and protein synthesis- the two hour 'window of opportunity'.  Some don't believe it exists despite studies done.</div>
It exists but the window isn't quite solidified. For instance when 6 EAA where given post training at either 1 or 3 hours there was no significant difference between the two. So where the window actually ends post training isn't quite known.

In another study they looked at pre vs post training with EAA, which showed that EAA given immediately before had a greater response but when this was studied using whole intact whey the results didn't match in that there was not a difference in pre vs post whey supplementation.

Post training studies have been done using milk, both fat free and whole, soy protein, whey + AA + Carbs, a mix of whey and casein and just about any other possible combination and with the exception of soy protein all are additive to the PS increases seen from training alone.

LOL.

OMG. That is the best thing I have read all month. That's awesome. I feel like I know something now even though I just lost knowledge. Weird.

My skin reflects a lot of white light as well and I have skin cancer in the family. Spray tans seem to have come a long way and they can be professionally done.

Dan,

I am in the middle of dialing in MS. Barring that I don't find adequate work in the next 3 weeks, I should be doing this consistently. I will miss workouts at times because I am willing to sacrifice them in my never ending quest to have more fun.

If the natural look is coming into vogue I am all for it. With the popularity of fitness and &quot;going to the gym&quot; the image of a photogenic, more attainable looking physique is what will attract the mainstream gym goers to purchase a magazine, book, or workout gizmo. The bodybuilding we know is largely found disguisting and with the sensationalistic media frenzy over steroids public rejection is likely to increase. The Weider Empire and its satellite nations are aware of this. I wonder what will be the next trend in pro bodybuilding? Frank Zane showed us just how ripped a man can get. Dorian Yates showed us how big. What's left? Symmetry and bodyshape can't be sold in capsule form. Or can it?

Fortunately for me I cannot look like a pro bodybuilder.

I never cared for vogue, fashion, or keeping pace with other people's Jones. I'm leaning more and more towards PL'ing because I'd still be slimmer than most guys my age, I like moving heavy stuff, and I really like how the PL crowd supports each other. It's not just an individual sport for them.

And I have an excuse to be a little fat.
smile.gif

As for the steroid image, I've been happy to have been accused of using. &quot;Why, thank ya ma'am!&quot;

LOL yes. Always a compliment to be accused of steroids.

I like PL'ing too. I really like Westside. I want to have a closer look to make sure its what I think it is (effective) but I think its only a matter of time before I put it to use. Currently I am doing MS. I've read a lot of people saying that one should develop a strength base first...but...I'm skinny.

I am going to use Westside for my arms one of these days. I cannot wait.

Back