medial knee pain - going into negs, what to do?

cheen

G'day just finishing off 5's now and moving onto the negs and I have been experiencing some discomfort in my knees.

I am currently working out full body 6x a week, the rest of my body is feeling stiff but more or less fine. I am currently doing the following leg work

W1
Squats
Leg Curls

W2
Leg Press
Leg Curls

for two sets each, alternating. I find that during the exercise I experience no discomfort, it's only later in the day, the next morning but it begins to fade after that. It seems to be much more noticeable after a workout on the legpress as opposed to squats. The pain is on the medial aspect of the knee cap, where the vmo seems to tie into (the bony ridges on the side of the knee cap). I have noticed that from about 15degree knee bend till about 45 degree bend (when squatting) I get a audible clicking/crunching noise in both knees on the eccentric motion only, no noise on the way up.

What should I be doing? Drop leg press and work quads/ hamstrings only 3x a week whilst keeping the rest of the body at 6x? Any ideas what is causing this problem? I am using a daily stretching program before my workout. I was thinking of dropping the leg press movement days and simply doing a easy 15 rep squat set/curl set on those days?

Or should I be stopping leg work all together?

could you describe the pain?

i've had some knee pains but it hurts as I do the leg exercises.
i went to the sports medicine clinic in our school and it turned out my hamstrings weren't receiving enough stretching and it's too weak.

i suggest play it safe, stop the leg workouts first and let some professional take a look at it.
better safe than sorry

I was having some degree of discomfort, not really pain, in my squats. Just above my knee cap on the outside edge I was getting this small, but noticable pain.

I asked a Chiropractor...I was told to get onto the Abductor type leg machines and use them to strengthen the in and outside of my legs.

Those are the Suzanne Sommer thingys - "Thigh master". Anyway, the pain went away when I started the 15s so I don't have to wait behind the girls at the gym to use those machines. LOL

there is minimal/no pain during the crunching range of movement, I get slight pulling pain when standing up (knees from 90 degrees) right where teh VMO seems to meld into the knee cap when cold, it's quite noticeable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cheen @ May 28 2005,5:25)]there is minimal/no pain during the crunching range of movement, I get slight pulling pain when standing up (knees from 90 degrees) right where teh VMO seems to meld into the knee cap when cold, it's quite noticeable.
Your knees are nothing to mess around with, especially if you have pain.

Pain and bleeding you have to do something about it. Both are the most obvious indicators that something is seriously wrong.

Chiropractors are very knowlegeable about the neuro-muscular system, muscular and skeltal systems of the human body. You can also see and M.D. or if you don't want to do either...do another exercise that is not painful.

Back