metabolic work 15's, which exercises?

cheen

When adding metabolic work (light 15's) during the 5's and post 5's should a light set of 15 be done for every exercise in your routine (ideally?) or just on the major compound movements only.

I'd like to add...
It's said to do them after the last workset, but will that not considerably hinder your performance in the subsequent exercises that share a muscle group (i.e. work set of bench press, followed by a dropset, then later having to do military press)?

Well probably every exercise would be best but I haven't found it all too practical. I just use the ones I CAN get a good burn with.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rovi @ May 13 2005,6:24)]I'd like to add...
It's said to do them after the last workset, but will that not considerably hinder your performance in the subsequent exercises that share a muscle group (i.e. work set of bench press, followed by a dropset, then later having to do military press)?
It can, yes. This also depends on your workout, whether you are working large to small groups or working antagonistic pairs, upper/lower splits or what have you.

If that's the case wait until all your work sets are complete then do a single burn set. It won't change the overall effect.

Hypothetical situation:

A workout consisting of - bench, military press and bicep curls

You are saying, do your worksets for all three, then come back to each at the end and do a dropset for each as well?

aye or nay?

What if I did 5's on Mon, Wed and Fri, then 15s on Tue, Thu and Sat? Would that work well enough?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When adding metabolic work (light 15's) during the 5's and post 5's should a light set of 15 be done for every exercise in your routine (ideally?) or just on the major compound movements only.

There's a lot of variance here. Meaning, if you just want to make sue you have enough metabolic work for 5s/post-5s, just do one light set for each major bodypart. For example, if you have bench, military, fly, and tricep movements, you only do the bench for the 15s. If you have multiple row movements, choose one of them.

If you would like to do a burn set for all of your major compound movements, that works too. This will help push up both localized and general metabolic stress. But, it's by no means necessary.

Metabolic stress techniques should be done at the end of your weightlifting routine or after all the main work sets for that group of bodyparts has been finished.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What if I did 5's on Mon, Wed and Fri, then 15s on Tue, Thu and Sat? Would that work well enough?

I think it would, especially if you want to do a low-level carb load cycle with it. Perhaps after 15s, do a little steady-state cardio as well.

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rovi @ May 13 2005,6:40)]Hypothetical situation:
A workout consisting of - bench, military press and bicep curls
You are saying, do your worksets for all three, then come back to each at the end and do a dropset for each as well?
aye or nay?

No, if doing drops you would be better suited to use them immediately after your workset, otherwise it's hard to get the needed effect out of drops. If using high reps sets, peak contraction or pulsing sets then yes, which is why I said Burn Set after all your work sets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz (Posted on May 13 2005 @ 7:34))]
What if I did 5's on Mon, Wed and Fri, then 15s on Tue, Thu and Sat?  Would that work well enough?
I agree with the V-man, I haven't seen where the differing MAPK last all that long, if I remember correctly, they only last about 2 to 4 hrs, but I could be wrong, so going for a burn set on opposite work days might be good but be prepared for more energy needs as you are now effectively working out 6X week. I also have one study where the two differeing mapk sort of combat one another when activated at the same time. Mostly there was an effect of ERK1/2 on P38 phosphorlyation.

That sounds like a good idea to me. I wonder if you can split up your metabolic work away from your heavy strain work. There's just some days where i'd really like to go light and just get a nice pump going.

I think one of the main benefits of the metabolic work though is better nutrient partitioning, especially post workout. I figure, if you get great strain on your muscles, get a nice pump in there afterwards so your post workout shake/meals absorption will be enhanced by the blood flow.

Well for me, it's just easier to do my heavy work of the 5s on one day, then do the burn work the next day. I tried it last week and it was really nice.
I suppose instead of splitting it up that way, I could instead cut my routine for the 5s in half, and do half of it each day, followed by burn sets...

Back