Mike Mentzer HIT vs HST

• Thread starter imported_domineaux
  • Start date
That is me O&G
Shoulder and knee surgery. I still have to be very careful or I’ll screw myself up again .

Sonny

Save a Chicken !
Eat a Cow !

Hm... according to the Dr. Darden's website, the guy in the video is actually doing an experiment with Max-Stim. Maybe this will be a revelation for him??

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Nov. 12 2006,09:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Many HITers end up with connective tissue injuries that plague them for life.    
sad.gif
</div>
Interesting what you said...

Mike appeared to be all stove up on the video. He was wearing a &quot;heavy whatever&quot; sweat shirt and moved like he was 90+ years old.

Watching him change the pin in a weight stack looked like it was a labor and maybe painful for him.

He seemed to ramble in his conversation at times as well.

The video may have been a better example of just what that type training and drug use leads to. I know that's not funny, but it does have a ring of truth to it.

A spoof tape could definitely be made from what I saw and heard.

i finally watched the whole video.
wow.
what a waste of time everything this guy said and did was. a couple things come to mind...
prattles on and on about all out supreme effort that only 1% actually do...and that is supposed to be an example!
machines! especially leg extension! give me a break.
most of his &quot;workout&quot; was with minor exer for minor bodyparts (ie. leg ext, abs, low back, rear delt, pec deck). if your going to boast about real work get out there and do some major free wgt exer. with serious wgt and no rest. it still wont work but itll be impressive to look at.
and finally, if thats the body you get with this w/o no thanks. i try not to be too judgemental about physiques but you can get that body working out for a yr or 2 in the old 1 bp a week social trip to the gym style so why go thru all the cardio/lactic acid/CNS pain he wants to put you thru.

i feel bad for the folks who dont know any better and get hooked up with him. notice the huge escape hatch hes left for himself with his clients......no gains, well your just not working out as hard as humanly possible. see you next thursday

I don't know what to think about this video.  When I was listening to this guy talk, I was thinking &quot;yeah, he's correct..going to maximum failure is a huge event that I have to get psyched up for&quot;...etc.  I'm so intent on getting better numbers in my log book than my last cycle that it's a lot of pressure on those 'max effort' days and very strenuous.  

Now I get to see him workout.  hmmm...I don't think I've ever worked out that hard.  Yep, I know you guys are all saying his workout is easy or 'not too tough', but I've ever gone through a work like that, going to failure on every exercise with virtually no rest.  That has to be a bltch.  Maybe it's easier doing all that stuff with machines ( I wouldn't know, I rarely use machines).  Anyway, I had respect for the workout because he never rested after going to failure on every exercise.  God, I can't imagine going from max effort on deads to max. effort on incline with no rest. I'm too much of a wuss for that, I'd die.    

Now, his physique.......um, all I have to say about that is I started off with less muscle than he appears to currently have, and now I have more muscle tissue on my right calf than he has on his entire torso.  So, what he's doing ain't working.   

I think I agree with his philosophy about training partners.  I wish I had a good one.  As hard as I push myself to get better numbers on max days all the time, I'd probably be able to push a little harder with a partner.  Can't be sure though.

<div>
(stevejones @ Nov. 13 2006,17:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't know what to think about this video.  When I was listening to this guy talk, I was thinking &quot;yeah, he's correct..going to maximum failure is a huge event that I have to get psyched up for&quot;...etc.  I'm so intent on getting better numbers in my log book than my last cycle that it's a lot of pressure on those 'max effort' days and very strenuous.  

Now I get to see him workout.  hmmm...I don't think I've ever worked out that hard.  Yep, I know you guys are all saying his workout is easy or 'not too tough', but I've ever gone through a work like that, going to failure on every exercise with virtually no rest.  That has to be a bltch.  Maybe it's easier doing all that stuff with machines ( I wouldn't know, I rarely use machines).  Anyway, I had respect for the workout because he never rested after going to failure on every exercise.  God, I can't imagine going from max effort on deads to max. effort on incline with no rest. I'm too much of a wuss for that, I'd die.    

Now, his physique.......um, all I have to say about that is I started off with less muscle than he appears to currently have, and now I have more muscle tissue on my right calf than he has on his entire torso.  So, what he's doing ain't working.   

I think I agree with his philosophy about training partners.  I wish I had a good one.  As hard as I push myself to get better numbers on max days all the time, I'd probably be able to push a little harder with a partner.  Can't be sure though.</div>
There is a big difference between:
A) a guy with your muscles (huge and strong) going to failure with heavy free-weight compound exercises. AND...
B) a guy with his muscles (smallish and weakish) going to failure using machine isolation exercises.

A) is much more physically and mentally taxing and difficult than B).

When I was a relative beginner (HIT days), I went to failure on a leg extension machine and leg press machine every workout. Yes, it was painful and fairly difficult. NOW, I do barbell squats and I am much stronger, if I hit failure it is WAY MORE INTENSE and painful than my old leg workout. The intensity it takes a strong guy to deadilft 500+ lb.s is psychologically impressive (steve jones), the intensity it takes this guy to go to failure on his fairly light-weight machines just doesn't impress me much, because I have done it.

Stength makes a huge difference. A weak guy going to failure is so-so, a strong lifter going to failure is an impressive display of nerves and focus.
cool.gif

Hey Steve, if you want a partner sorta like his, that will put you thru that paces, come on down to the big &quot;A&quot;. I can sit on the bench for ya and yell REAL LOUD!
laugh.gif

It would have been more interesting if he had worn a heart rate monitor for the duration of the w/o and then posted a chart of the output.

Like Bluejacket, I would have been much more interested to see him using some free-weight exercises.

According to my log book, back in '86 when I trained HIT style, I used to do this:

Squat 15-20 reps (150lbs)
SLDL 15-20 reps (150lbs)
Chins 8-12 reps (bw)
Seated Pulley Rows 8-12 reps (n/a)
Bench 8-12 reps (135lbs)
Flyes 8-12 reps (35lb dbs)
Seated presses 8-12 reps (70lbs)
Db side laterals 8-12 reps (15lbs)
Curls 8-12 reps (70lbs)
Db tri extensions 8-12 reps (45lbs)
Seated Calf raises 8-12 reps (n/a)
Forearm curls 8-12 reps (60lbs)

All exercises were to failure, 1 set of each, no/minimum rest between sets. Yeah, I was pretty weak back then but not having any rest between exercises definitely impacted on the poundages.

My training partner and I took it in turns with each helping the other through the entire w/o without a break and sorting the weights out. We used to train late eve and pretty much had the run of the gym which was great as we could set bars up prior to starting.

I have to say that I got pretty fit doing this kind of w/o. It took around 30 minutes to complete. The first time I did it I threw up immediately afterwards and had to lie on the floor for nearly another 30 mins before I could help my mate!  
biggrin.gif

After a month or so of this and absolutely no muscular gains (got weaker on some exercises!) I decided enough was enough and started adding some rest between sets again. Still not much progress but at least I didn't dread every visit to the gym. At the time I was convinced (by Dr. Dardens Nautilus training book) that my lack of progress was because I was using outdated free-weights rather than swanky, scientific Nautilus machines.

Move forward in time 20 years and I can honestly say that I train my muscles harder now with HST but I definitely train my CNS less hard. And I am growing even though my test levels should be lower now (at age 41) than what they were back then at 21.

steve the difference is in hit you train like that every day so your cns soon burns out so eventually you have to take longer rest days.i tried it for a year i got fat ,colds,flu,and totaly fed up of going to the gym.

<div>
(faz @ Nov. 14 2006,10:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">steve the difference is in hit you train like that every day so your cns soon burns out so eventually you have to take longer rest days.i tried it for a year i got fat ,colds,flu,and totaly fed up of going to the gym.</div>
Oh I'm very familiar with burning out the CNS. I used to train 5 days per week going to failure on every exercise. The kind of burn out I eventually experienced is what made me follow quadancer and try HST.

I just never did it without any rest between sets. In my book, there's a huge difference between taking even a minute rest and no rest at all. Scientificmuscle is correct though, there's a big difference between doing all that using fairly light weights on machines versus compound exercises.

ok misunderstud you...if you trained without a rest between sets i doubt very much you would be able to use the weights you do,,so basicly you are replacing one type of intensity for another.and as studies have shown that less rest between sets doesnt make much difference.i would rather use more weight.

Yeah, scary strong. Check out this vid too. I can't imagine this guy needing to skip over to the leg extension machine to finish off his legs properly and to ensure he's working hard enough.

7 x 700

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Nov. 14 2006,22:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here is INTENSITY!!!
wow.gif
Check out the blood gushing out his nose dead-lifting almost 800 lb.s, he just keeps going and his form drops to crap on the third rep.
ghostface.gif

Intense deadlifter</div>
he was worlds strongest man a couple of years ago,and one of the lightest,i think he introduces it now.

<div>
(Lol @ Nov. 14 2006,20:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, scary strong. Check out this vid too. I can't imagine this guy needing to skip over to the leg extension machine to finish off his legs properly and to ensure he's working hard enough.

7 x 700</div>
good one LOL.
this guy gets even more credit b/c he did that lift in spite of the lame radio station talk and his annoying cheering squad. please, stop the clapping.

if he dropped the straps id be real impressed but since i cant dl much over 300 without straps its not my place to judge.

Back