Most effective training for calfs?

meatsauce

Hey everyone. I wanted to know other peoples experiences with making your calfs grow. I am thinking and experimenting with different rep ranges and volume and I think that a higher amount of reps and volume seems best. If you look around at who has the biggest calfs you would see that a lot of overweight people and chronic bikers have big calfs. The heavy people get the calfs just from walking around and being heavy. I remember when my calfs were bigger in high school when I was running a lot for P.E.

I was reading this q and a article with Ronnie Coleman and he was saying what got his calfs to grow was a routine of 3 sets of 30 reps 3 times a week. I am going to try that and stay in this higher rep range and just increase the weight progressively. Ill let everyone know the results. What are peoples experiences?

Lots of work. Training every day, high reps, lots of sets, not necessarily heavy. Ballet dancers, truck drivers, cyclists and soccer players seem to have the best calves from what I've noticed. Mine didn't start to improve until I started doing them every day using sled work and one legged jumps with a dumbbell.

Calves are similar to abs because just like calves are the body's way of absorbing shock when running, jumping, etc, the core is the body's basis for all upper and full body movements.

Genetics also come into play with them too. I have naturally muscular calves. One of the only naturally muscular parts of my body lol. But my calves were bigger when I used to run frequently.

As they're the natural shock absorbers of the lower body, padded shoes are irrelevant IMO if you've got no issues (flat feet isn't an issue). Start running in minimalist shoes, Vibrams, or barefoot, and your calves will burn up like the sun.

1. Check out Charles Poliquin's calf program. Supposedly he used it for an Olympic skiier to give the guys knees a cushion while downhill skiing (!)

2. Look into Reg Park and Arnold. Reg supposedly advised Arnold to use heavy heavy weight to stimulate calf growth.

I haven't read much on calves but I did get good strength results from Heavy-Duty/HIT style training.

Back