Moving On To 5ths, Some Questions

Kakelad

Greetings lifters!
I'm about to move on to the fifth week of the HST -program. So far the program has been pretty good!
My routine is currently 3 times a week:

Squat 2x10
Deadlfit 2x10
Bench 2x10
Overhead press 2x10
Weighted Pull Ups 2x10
Weighted Dips 2x10
CGBench 2x10
Seated Cable Row 2x10
Bro Curl 2x10
Lateral Raise 2x10
Leg raises and planks for them abs

LISS cardio on off-days as 1 hour on the bicycle.

As I am moving on to the 3x5 regimen next week, I have some questions.
Should I keep the "less compoundish" exercises, such as the bicep curls, in the higher rep range (10-15x2)
or move them also to the 3x5 regimen?
Or since the squats, deadlifts, bench and pull ups get pretty heavy in the end, would it be advisable to maybe do a bit less of the lighter exercises. For example only one to two sets of bicep curls and lat raises?

Thank you for your shared wisdom on the matter! Any other tips concerning the final four weeks of the program are also highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Isolation exercises never should be done in the 5RM range. Keep them in the 10s if you're going to do 'em at all. You can drop the volume to 1 set as the loads progress during your 5 rep meso-cycle or just leave them at one set. Whatever feels better.

The real issue I see is your volume. I'm assuming you're doing all of this on the same day and not A/B: 2x10 bench, 2x10 close grip bench, 2x10 dips, 2x10 military press, 2x10 lateral raise. That's 60 reps a session for chest, 80 reps a session for triceps, and 100 reps a session for delts! WAYYY too much.

Eliminate some of those movements. You could be doing this throughout the cycle instead: 2x15 bench, 2-3x10 bench, 3x5 bench, along with 1x15 MP, 2x10 MP, and 3x5 MP. Something like that should be all you need if you're trying to stick to vanilla HST.

Last edited:
I thought the original HST had even more different exercises? According to the chart at least...?

Anyway, thanks for the input! I am doing the same routine 3 times a week yes, not alternating.
I've previously only done Powerlifting programs, so the 15s and 10s have been kicking my ass :D not used to the volume at all, but it is refreshing to do something new!

It does, but you'll notice that they're split into A/B. Here's the sample routine: Monday you'd do your first battery of chest/shoulder/tricep movements (bench, rear delt isolation, tricep pushdown), and then Weds you'd do the second (dips, rows [in place of pullups, but hit rear delt too], tricep pushdown). Rear delts don't get much love from pushing movements so I don't count 'em in the volume mix.

According to the HST lords, you'd want to aim for maybe 30 reps per each upper body part and 60 for each lower body part, per session. But remember that HST is more a set of rules than a program (deconditioning, progressive overload, etc.) so you can set up the program how'd you like.

Ah I see... I initially thought that the chart was for a one definitive workout 3 times a week.
Will maybe adjust the selection when I start the next 6-8week cycle :)

You can do 1 definitive workout 3 times per week or you can do A/B. As long as you're not severely exceeding/severely under the 30/60 rule, you're fine.

Since you're going into the 5s, if you really want to keep what you've got for the rest of the cycle, I would split what you're doing now up into A/B. Maybe something like:

A/B

CG Bench/OHP
3x5, 3x5

Dips/Bench
3x5, 3x5

Reason being, all that volume every session is going to bite you in the butt once you start getting relatively heavy, and especially if you're going to do post-5s (5RM for 2 weeks, negatives, doubles/triples, w/e).

Your volume for back and legs is alright.

Last edited:
Back