Mule86 1st Phase Training Log

Mule86

Please review/comment on my training program below. I'm looking to maintain weight, increase strength/cut, and drop some body fat. Any and all input is appreciated:

Workout A - Monday
Bench Press - 2 x 15
Bent Over Barbell Row - 2 x 15
DB Shoulder Press - 2 x 15
Standing Barbell Curls - 2 x 15
BW Dips - 2 x Failure
Squat - 2 x 15
Leg Curl - 2 x 15
Seated Calf Raises - 2 x 15
Shrugs - 2 x 15

Workout B - Wednesday
Leg Press - 2 x 15
Leg Press Calf Raises - 2 x 15
Leg Curls - 2 x 15
BW Chinups - 1 x Wide Grip to failure, 1 x Narrow grip to failure
Incline Barbell Bench - 2 x 15
Alternating DB Curls - 2 x 15
Behind Neck Press - 2 x 15
Close Grip Bench - 2 x 15
Shrugs 2 x 15

Workout C - Friday
Bench Press - 2 x 15
Bent Over Barbell Row - 2 x 15
BW Dips - 2 x BW Failure
DB Shoulder Press - 2 x 15
Preacher Curls - 2 x 15
Squat - 2 x 15
Leg Curl - 2 x 15
Standing Calf Raises - 2 x 15
Shrugs 2 x 15

I will progressively increase the weight on all of the lifts over the cours of the two weeks at 15 reps. I will then adjust, use the same lifts and increase the weight some more and go to 10 reps for 2 weeks. I will then drop the reps to 6, increase weight, and do this for 2 more weeks. Finally, I'll drop to 5 reps for the final 2 weeks before SD. Any input or critiques would be appreciated!

Finished my first day today. 15's are no joke. I got through the workout in about 40 minutes, allowing for about 1 1/2 minute rest between each set. I've got to get out of the mindset of not feeling like I got a good pump if I don't kill one muscle group/day for 45 minutes to 1 hour. We'll see what kind of results I come out with. I'm trying to maintain where I'm at weight wise and drop bodyfat by a few %.

I am thinking about doing 2 weeks of 15's, 2 weeks of 12's, 2 weeks of 10's, 2 weeks of 6's, and 1 week of 5's. (The reason for the extra week is purely timing. We're heading on vacation the week after the 5's and thought it would be a great weak to SD.) On the 6's, I'm going to up the set's to 3 instead of 2.

Do you think this will affect the program and it's desired results? I'm not trying to bulk up much at all. Just cut some bodyfat and increase definition.

So I've finished 4 workouts and will have #5 of my 15's tomorrow. I really like the program so far. I'm not terribly sore after each workout, but I'm really wiped out after each session.

I was in pretty good shape when I began this routine. I'm trying it out b/c I wanted to change up my out of date ''one bodypart training'' per week mode. Hitting chest on Monday hard, then not again until the following Monday was ok, but I was getting burnt out. I try to keep my diet good, but I'm not die hard when it comes to dieting. I have pretty good muscle defininiton but was hoping this program would help out. If I keep my calories at maintenance level, can I expect HST to help in cutting? Or is this program only going to work best if you are going to try to get as much mass as possible? While I wouldn't really mind more mass, it's not the intent of my training. Just trying to stay muscular/cut with a good overall program that I can continue on for a while.

So I've been off of all supplements for the last 7-8 years and have decided that I want to get on a simple creatine. Doing some research, I've purchased some Cellmass. When I used to take creatine, I took the monohydrate. I understand that the Cellmass is different in that it won't make you retain water nearly as much. Few questions I have are this:

1.) I know the directions indicate to take 2 times/day, every day. I've also read in reviews that 1 time a day is more than enough. The question I have is that I'm not looking to add a ton of weight, just a few pounds of lean muscle mass and for this to help in recovery a little bit. Would it be a problem if I only took the Cellmass on lifting days? Or maybe Mon-Fri and not on the weekends? Like most, I live on a budget and won't hae the luxury of ordering this stuff every month.

2.) Has anyone used Cellmass and if so, what were your impressions of it?

Hi Mule,

i dont use cell mass but use another brand of creatine, i use 5mg in most post workout shake on training days and non off days i add it into my last shake of the day, usually right before bed.
I dont cycle either, i stay on 365 days a year! There are alot of generic brands of creatine that are really cheap and give the same results.

Good luck with your training.

Hi Mule,

i dont use cell mass but use another brand of creatine, i use 5mg in most post workout shake on training days and non off days i add it into my last shake of the day, usually right before bed.
I dont cycle either, i stay on 365 days a year! There are alot of generic brands of creatine that are really cheap and give the same results.

Good luck with your training.

What brand do you use? I was talking to a guy about cellmass and he said that it's a new type of creatine that doesn't retain water in your muscles, but blood. I can't remember what he called it. He mentioned staying away from Monohydrate as it will bloat you and make you retain water. Is this accurate?

The Cellmass came today. I've researched a little more and found that some people recommend taking before working out rather than after. I think this makes sense to me. I think the intent was for the manufacturer to push NoXplode pre workout and Cellmass post workout to push a little more product. I don't see any more benefit to taking it after than before?

Been doing HST now for about a year to the date. I really love this program and have gotten a few others to get on it as well. Even though I've done several phases, would like to bounce a few things off of others.

1.) Instead of doing one exercise for chest (bench) each workout, I do bench, incline, and decline to hit each area once a week. I also alternate excercises for other body parts i.e. Back (bent over row, lat pulldown, low row) each day to hit it in different area's. Does this take away from the program, or results that can be achieved? Should I just stick with one major excersice for each bodypart and not alternate each week?

2.) I've done a few cycle's doing 2 weeks of 15's, 2 weeks of 12's, 2 weeks of 10's, 2 weeks of 8's, and 2 weeks of 5's. I read in the intro again that you could drop down to 1 week 15's, 1 week 12's, 1 week 10's, etc... I am progressively overloading each lift, according to the HST principle's, however, some loads only increase 5lbs from week to week due to the rep ranges not changing drastically. Would it be more beneficial to stick to the 15, 10, 5, 5 range with 2 weeks in each rep range?

3.) If I do go 15, 10, 5, 5 should I just repeat my 5's on the second 2 weeks? When I get to the end of my 5's, I'm pretty much maxed out with the weight that I can go without any spotter/help which I don't have. Is it best to just repeat the 5 rep weeks immediately after the first 2 weeks of 5's?

Back