multiple sets, hero or villain?

style

I have read that only 2 out of 50 scientific studies show gains in size or strength from doing multiple sets of the same exercise as opposed to one set.

However, there are a lot of educated people in this forum and I havn't heard much support (apart from fausto g ;) arguing that single work sets are the way to go, is this because multiple sets produce markedly better results?

I like to get in and out of the gym quickly (under 20 mins if possible) and my routine is accordingly basic, one set of;

squats
rows
dips
chins
standing shoulder press
deadlifts

Would it be worth my while doing mulitiple sets?
Has anyone found switching from single sets to multiple sets improved their gains or vice versa?

The principal is to do as many sets that will still allow you to train the muscle at least 3x a week without a loss of strength. I have done single sets when doing 2x a day MWF and gained 5-7 pounds. I've also done multiple sets when 1x a day MWF and gained.

I suspect a lot of those studies do not use subjects who are traing with sub maximal weights and not lifting to failure and are therefore not applicable to HST

I used to use one set because I believed that in doing so I could focus completely on that set without holding anything back and really go to failure. This article discusses this mode of thinking and proposes it as a reason why single set may be just as effective as multiple sets.

Obviously I have learned a thing or two about bodybuilding since then!
tounge.gif
As HST uses the amount of load as the most important variable more sets = more load = a good thing as long as it doesn't compromise your ability to train frequently.

Now I use one set for the 15s and 10s and 2 for the 5s because I go 5-6x a week and feel this is enough, plus I like to get in and out of the gym quickly.

Cheers

Rob

Yeah i also have found that with 5-6x week training, one set is enough, and i'm outta the gym within 20 minutes. 2 sets seems rough to me in the 5's with high frequency, alt. deadlifting and squats everyday during the post 5's clustering or negs is brutal with 1 set.

Back