Muscle synthetic rate after 48 hours

JackBauer

We know that for trained subjects muscle synthetic rate lasts about 36 hours for BICEPS. But what about larger bodyparts like CHEST, BACK,...?? Does it last only 36 hours or more than that? Could we assume that "the larger the bodypart the more it lasts"? Of course we are speaking about conditioned muscles after 2-3 (or also more) sets.

Don't see why there would be a difference. PS is based on the same principles no matter which muscle. Now, the load required to elicit the cascade of events would naturally be higher in larger muscle groups but the process in my mind would be the same.

I agree that the process would be the same in every bodypart. I'm interested in the time course of PS occurring in the different bodyparts. The reason is trying to optimize macronutrient intake: I always workout Mon-Wed-Fri at about 7-8 pm and in the next 36 hours I eat a bit over maintenance to support PS. But I ask: in the range 36-48 hours after training could it be useful eat over maintenance or would it be better eat less?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JackBauer @ April 09 2005,5:05)]I agree that the process would be the same in every bodypart. I'm interested in the time course of PS occurring in the different bodyparts. The reason is trying to optimize macronutrient intake: I always workout Mon-Wed-Fri at about 7-8 pm and in the next 36 hours I eat a bit over maintenance to support PS. But I ask: in the range 36-48 hours after training could it be useful eat over maintenance or would it be better eat less?
Now I could say something really scientific and post a littany of studies but I'm not in the mood today so, I'll keep it very simple.

Yes, eating above maintenance is better. ;)

Well, we really don't know it only lasts that long. We need more studies, and much better ones. I had emailed Dr. Digby Sale about this a bit a go and here was his response to me.

(I'll bold some of the cool parts)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Hello Ron,
Re your question about the mismatch between greater damage but not
greater protein synthesis after eccentric vs. concentric exercise, and
that repair from damage seems to last longer than elevated protein
synthesis.  The authors (Gibala et al. 2000) themselves suggested that
their results and those of another group (Phillips et al. 1997)
indicate that the amount of mechanical work done rather than the type
of contraction (and consequent damage) determined protein synthesis.

In both studies, the weight lifted in the concentric and eccentric
phases was the same. However, a factor to consider was that protein
synthesis was measured only at 24 h post-exercise.  It is possible that
at 48 h (or later), when signs of damage are usually greatest, there
may have been a difference between eccentric and concentric exercise.

Another factor to consider is that exercise can elevate both protein
synthesis and degradation, so what really needs to be known is the net
protein synthesis.  In the first day or two after eccentric exercise,
protein degradation may be elevated at least as much as synthesis.
<u> Finally, protein synthesis and degradation may fluctuate at different
times of the day and from day to day, so it is a bit of a ?crap shoot?
when you make a measurement at a given time.</u>

So the discrepancies you noted may be mainly the result of limitations
in experimental methods.

Back