My 0.5 HST

Tradnyx

Ok, life is cruel.  I discovered a GREAT way to get big, and fast! It was called HST, and for someone like me with a long past of weight training, the Muscle Memory effect, plus Creatine, helped me get back into shape in only 2-3 months, in what usually would take me over 1/2 a year..

But then..

Damned SHOULDER injury.  Actually, I think it was just a case of over using the shoulders.  Happened during the 5's, 3x per week just killed my right shoulder.
I took 3 months off completely, then tried again.. first 3x per week, very light, but the problem came back.  I waited a month again, tried 2x per week, and sure enough, shoulder started aching again.  So I waited another month and decided to try this, 1.5 times per week!  Retarded HST!

Ok, so at this rate, I AM able to workout, and my shoulder is actually Healing while I do this.  Basically, I split the body into Upper and Lower body, and work it out M-W-F.  I double the normal HST volume, but with 1/2 the frequency, the total number of sets per week is about the same.  Also, I tend to approach failure a bit more than I did with Standard HST.

Results have been pretty good, not as good as I got with Standard HST, but I AM getting results, a little stronger, a little bigger, each week.  And THAT beats the HELL out of sitting around getting smaller while the shoulder heals.

For the curious, I do feel that only working each bodypart out 1.5 times per week instead of three, even with the same volume, is less productive than 3 times per week.  I just dont get that same feeling, that the muscle was always a little pumped, that I got with Standard HST.  It feels more like my HIT days..

I'm just glad to be lifting again!  The shoulder is slowly getting better, went from about 80% when I started HST 0.5, to about 90+%.

I do unterstand what you are going trough quite well. same story for me: did a few hst-cycles before with very good gains but it was when I really went with the basic lifts deads/bench/rows/shoulder-press/squats when the gains seamed to explode until the 3 set of 5s hurted my left shoulder so badly that I had to stop.

what helped me a lot after this bad injury was to go with a quite special light version of hst.
after 3weeks of break I restarted with 25/20/15 (1set of each lift 3times a week)I know those are really baby-weight-workouts but the high reps helped very much with recovery and where just great for my joints..after finishing the 15s I went on into the 10s,they work out pretty good as well and now I am into the 5s just doing 2sets of them but the preparation seams to have helped me enough to go for 3-4 weeks of 5s without problems.

and yes I got leaner and a lot of fuller during the 25s 20s and 15s and most important thing: I did not have to sit and wait...

cheers

Back