My first HST cycle

Dave16

This is my first post. I've done a lot of reading before posting. I'm 28, 6'0", 227lbs, about 15% bf. I've been lifting for over 10 years, but just in the past 3 years have I been really serious.

I'm gonna start my first HST cycle in 2 weeks. Workouts will be M/W/F. Cycle length will be 6 weeks. I'm running my reps like this 15, 12, 10, 8, 5, 2. I'm only using compounds exercises and only one exercise per muscle and only one set per exercise. Here are my exercises.

barbell bench press
lat pull downs
dumbbell shoulder presses
dumbbell curls
skullcrushers
barbell shrugs
squats alternating with leg presses every other workout
sitting calf raises (would prefer standing machine but it doesn't hold enough weight to max for 5 or 2 reps)

I feel confident in my approach, other than for only doing 1 set per exercise per workout. I see most people do at least 2 sets and have multiple exercises per muscle. But I'm worrying about overtraining seeing that I'll be working out each muscle 3 times per week.

I'm excited about trying this program. I used to do DC training, but am taking a break from it. Any experienced comments and critique are appreciated.

I do one compound exercise per bodypart and one set per exercise...however I work out 4-6 times a week, add stretch point movements from the 10 onwards and do 2 sets of the compound exercise during the 5s so I guess your volume is a little light compared to mine. I would probably increase the sets to at least 2 by the 5s, possibly 2 in the 10s and 3 in the 5s - that's just me though. More volume is obviously desirable as long as it doesn't lead to overtraining etc so at 3 sets per bodypart per week I think you've got plenty of scope to increase the volume.

Personally I wouldn't have bench as my chest exercise, I'd have dips (I alternate with incline db press but dips would be my number 1). Also you've got your quads and calves covered but not hamstrings - I'd always advocate some sort of deads so maybe you could swap the leg press with straight or stiff leg deads?

Are you going to do any metabolic work in the 5s and 2s? Drop sets or pulses etc? I would advise it in anycase.

Just a really pedantic point, you say it's a compound only routine but you have skullcrushers, db curls and calf raises so it's not really.

Hope that helps, any comments or questions let me know.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Dave16, and welcome to the forums. Rob really said it all, I would only like to second him on the volume part. An experienced lifter like you will probably need a bit more volume than 1 set per bodypart. Try to maintain the volume you used with your previous routine, just spread it over 3 full-body workouts. Don't worry too much about ovetraining, just watch your diet, stay away from failure (1-2 reps) and you will be fine.

Regards,
Dimitris

Dave

IMO, and because you have been around a while, here's my take.

15 - 1 set per exercise
10 - 2 sets per exercise
5 - 3 sets per exercise

This is the recommended volume for HST, it mainly keeps a balanced volume throughout (15-20-15) first set is importnat to reach required reps, the other sets are add on's and so they are not as important to reach if strength runs out.

In fact it is important that once a rep slows down considerably that you stop in oredr to avoid getting to muscle failure, failure can be just reached on the last day of each minicycle when the max is reached!

Keep nutrition where it should be as it is very important for your results here.

Your workout looks fine and using one exercise per muscle is just fine as you are using mostly compounds. If you want you can drop the skullcrushers and d/b curls as they are not compounds but then it'd be good to have chins and dips in your routine even if alternated with what you have now (bench and lat pulldowns).

My humble 0.2$
happy.gif

I would seriously suggest adding in BB or T-Bar rows.

Secondly, I would extend your cycle to 2 weeks of 8s, 2 weeks of 5s, 2 weeks of 2s - 9 weeeks total.

You won't overtrain on that program. Simple.

The most important advice is: eat enough or you won't gain.

Good luck :)

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. I am still mulling through the information. But here are my thoughts so far.

I am going to add incline hammer presses to alternate with bench press.

Not sure about adding leg curls. I have gotten good overall results doing squats or leg presses by pushing with the whole foot vs the ball of foot or heel.

I am going to add in tbar rows.

I'm going to stay with my 6 week scheme. I am hoping to take a 9 day SD then run another 6 week cycle with increased weights.

I'm going to do 1 set for the 15 and 12 phases, 2 sets for 10 and beyond.

Dave

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am going to add incline hammer presses to alternate with bench press.

What's the point? You'd be better off doing fly's as pulse strectches or at leat loaded stretches, can't see the hammer press being that useful.

Tbar's are good, do them nice and heavy s they usually produce good results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ Nov. 17 2005,7:52)]What's the point? You'd be better off doing fly's as pulse strectches or at leat loaded stretches, can't see the hammer press being that useful.
What's wrong with incline hammer presses? I think they're an excellent multi-joint exercise. Many programs encourage their use. They don't even compare to db flys.

I misinterpreted their use instead of bench, like that it is a different story, they about as good as the bench itself.

Obviously flys are better for LS or PS rather than intentionally used as a substitutre for anything else, as one can hardly put much weight on them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny @ Nov. 17 2005,9:34)]on ur 2. is tht positive or negative?
Positive. I always work the negative on every rep anyway. I can stop half way through in the middle of any rep.

Back