My Hst Program

I personally NEVER recommend ANYTHING done behind the neck. Sorry, but statistically, working behind the head causes more injuries, so I don't see why anyone should risk it. This has been debated many times over, and there will always be advocates of doing it, but usually just because they haven't had injuries themselves. Unless you're a wrestler, there's virtually nothing in life that requires a press or pull behind your head. And therefore, the shoulders aren't designed for it.

For rear delts, I'd be more inclined to recommend ROWS (yes I said that), reverse d/b flyes, 1/2 rotation laterals or just letting them develop naturally with your compound movements. (like overhead presses)
Incidentally, proper d/b laterals would be done bent slightly forward, arms swinging 30 degrees to the front, stopping at level. This will hit the mid and rear delts nicely, and not impinge the rotator cuffs.

Thnx for all your comments.
I will replace the smith squat with a regular squat (if i could do the movement right without the squat machine) on this cycle or on the next one.
Also i think i will replace the shoulder press with reverse d/b flyes on my next cycle.

Nothing wrong with the presses, I just mean don't do them behind the head if you'd like to be safe. Ordinary overhead presses are a compound movement, coming from the upper chest/neck area pressing to straight over the top of your head (not over the nose). You should have to tilt your head back a bit to execute the move. The reverse D/B flyes will hit the rear delts; the presses hit upper chest, anterior and medial delts, and slightly, rear delts.

Back