My latest routine tweak

Joe.Muscle

Now that I am coming to end of a cycle I started expierementing a little and I have up the volume some. The thing is it is getting away from HST a bit but I feel great and sore afterwards I havent been sore in a while.

Here is the routine, that i am doing.

10 degree bench press 12 reps 10 reps 8 reps 6 reps follwed by drop set of 12 rep.

Rows 10 reps 8 reps 6 reps...drop set of 12 reps

Dumbell press 12 reps 8 reps, drop set of 12 reps

Squats 12, 10 8, drop set

one burn out with curls and triceps.

This makes me feel great, however it is outside of normal HST.

Any thoughts??

It looks like HIT, unless you are treating it like this:

Day 1: 70% 12RM, 70% 10RM, 70% 8RM, 70% 6RM for each exercise...

all the way up to

Day 6: 12RM, 10RM, etc...

-Colby

Colby actually it is closer to Body For Life Routine...very similar.

I use to train this way and had great results in past, when I kept to this type of training.

Dont get me wrong I dont believe in cheating on the girl, (HST)..but i just tried this 3 times last week and I felt great.

Should I just drop it???

I've tried something somewhat similar to that in the past.. to be honest it doesn't make all that much sense to me.  But hey, if it works, do it.  Don't question results.  :)

EDIT:
Actually now that I think about it, maybe more total work could be a benefit of what you're doing, but you'd have to figure that out mathematically. Work seems to play a role in hypertrophy, so you may have something here. This seems like something Dan should help you with though. So wait for the master to give you the word lol.

Joe, have you tried 5x5? It's a nice change after doing HST for a while and it can produce great results. A sample 5x5 routine would be something like this:

Mon
Squat 5x5
Bench 1x5
Row 1x5

Wed
Squat 5x5 (15 - 20% less weight than on Mon)
Deads 5x5
Chins 5x5
Military5x5

Fri
Squat 1x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

Start with something like 60% of your 5 RM at first to judge how much you can do, then increase the weight every week.
There are other forms of 5x5 out there, but this version is pretty basic and works well. Be warned that after week 4, it changes to a deloading phase for a week, then an intensity phase for the next 4 weeks, so the reps and sets would change a bit after that.
It works great for mass and strength, I've gotten pretty good results from it myself as have some others around here.

I haven't tried that...Thanks for recommendation.

I tend you find a routine and stick with it...which is part of my problem sometimes...I am always scared to try different things.

Like I love HST its my thing...but I did this small variation with increased volume and man it feels so dang good...but soreness is not a measure of growth too???

You're right with your comment on soreness isn't a measure of growth. If you've had success in your past HST cycles, then why change it?

Good point Colby.

Thanks for the reminder !

You know how it goes...even though I am season veteran lifter...sometimes you still go a stray and expierement.

I was just thinking about that today....how I should just stick with Vanilla HST and try to increase weight more!

Back