My next routine!

skinnyman

ok here's my routine... juding from my last routine with only 4 exercises (concentrating on the arms) eating at 2900 cals.. i gained 2 pounds.. i think i should eat some more and do some more exercises.

*i find it hard to do chest and shoulders at the same time
*i don't know how to do squats so i'll lay it off for another cycle

A:
flat dumbell press
inclined hammer curls
lying tricep extension (skullcrusher)
deadlift (hope i get enough forearm workout here)
abs

B:
shoulder press
laterall pulldowns
seated row
seated leg extension (quads)
and the one for the hamstrings

i'll do it this way:
A B A B A ...etc 5x a week
1 week of 15s
2 weeks of 10s
2 weeks of 5s + dropsets
2 weeks of negs + dropsets (how many sets do you guys do in negs anyway?)

any comments? SD is about to end . i've bee eating trash foods like chips and cookies. can't help it. i'm going to stop as i start the next cycle.

thanks in advance
worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i don't know how to do squats so i'll lay it off for another cycle
Learn, my son.
Squats will single handedly up your weight significantly (if that is your goal of course). I was (am) a hardgainer, but have progressed in leaps and bounds since I took some time to study good form Squating. I should emphasize good form: although I have never actually seen anyone get injured, you lift heavy weight with the Squat and poor form just puts you at risk. Plus having good form in general will enable you to progress much more efficiently. Just my opinion and experience.
I dunno if you really need to do dropsets in the first section of 5s. The goal of dropsets is to increase metabolic work when other avenues are exhausted. I believe (?) that by increasing the weight in the 5s at normal increments, you are already acomplishing this, so the drop sets are unnecessary.
Other than that, I got nothing.

For squats, this might help you:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBSquat.html

However, you are doing deadlifts, which I guess are an okay substitute. Personally, I am a big fan of squats and if I had to choose either deads or squats, I would choose squats. They kick my butt a lot harder than deads do.

Anyway, your routine looks pretty good. You have mentioned before that you have a very high metabolism, though I don't recall what your height/weight is. Anyway, my point is this: I have an extremely fast metabolism, and I found that I had to push my caloric intake up around 3,500 on workout days, and around 3,000 on my off days to put on any weight at all. But I'm also about 6'1.5'' and was 180 lbs before my last cycle, so if you are a little shorter and lighter, you might be able to get away with less.
However, since you only gained two pounds your last cycle (if I remember correctly) I think you should definitely try increasing your calories drastically as I have described, and see what happens. If you gain too much fat, just cut it back down.

Like he said.
Eat more...past 3000kcals...I'm trying to keep above 3400kcals as of this week (first week of 5s). My weights up to 150lb now (up from 143lb when I started this cycle).

You've gotta eat...get the gainers in if you cant chew as much as you need. And yeah...learn to squat. Theyre the biggest muscles youve got so get them legs growing and get the pounds on. Plus, larger legs will keep you in proportion and will overall make you look bigger.

And trash foods are bad (you know that). Theyre hig hin kcals but most of from the fats (which are calorie dense) so u think ur getting alot but ur not. And as far as I know fats have the effect of suppressing appetite (correct??) or something like that. In any case, eat heathily and you'll be able to eat more. Alot of people use fitday (I do too) I really didnt realise how little I was eating until I started tracking my food properly. I dont know if u do it too but I'd recomend counting cals on paper - at least for a week - just to see if you actually ARE getting the right proportion of carbs/protein/fat.

My 2 cent (with a dollar thrown in).

al and hammer - yes i too am going to use fitday this cycle to monitor my food intake. can't wait . and your gains are impressive!
can't wait to pig out this cycle.

totenz - thanks for the link. i'm going to try incorporate squats next cycle.
thumbs-up.gif

i'm going to search for stretching techniques around the net to help me in the cycle.
thanks for the replies
worship.gif

quick question: if i do 5x a week instead of 6x due to busy schedule... that's okay right? that would be 10 days for 10s and 10 days for 6s instead of 12. increments would be higher then. what do you think?

quick question: if i'm concentrating on my arms to get bigger... should my frequency for arms be 5x a week instead of 3x?
or will 3x suffice?
sleeping.gif

No expert on frequency but on the way the HST FAQs go I would have thought 3x a week would be fine.

Make sure you hit the triceps well tho...its the biggest part of your arm and thus makes up the most mass. I've made the mistake of not training them properly this cycle.

yeah i guess i'd do 3x a week.
thumbs-up.gif

i haven't really exercised my triceps because of the pain i feel when doing tricep exercises... just got off from rehabilitating it from high-reps.

good luck to me
thumbs-up.gif

Like Al said, triceps are about two thirds of your upper arms, so you should definitely be hitting them. If they get bigger and your biceps don't, your arms will still look significantly bigger.

Which exercises were you doing for tris that were causing you pain? You could try kickbacks, they seem to not aggravate some people the way extensions can.

wow.gif
2-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ April 01 2005,12
wow.gif
2)]quick question: if i'm concentrating on my arms to get bigger... should my frequency for arms be 5x a week instead of 3x?
or will 3x suffice?  
sleeping.gif
Try this, for one cycle, use 20 reps throughout the entire cycle, as many sets as needed to get the 20, instead of going to your 5RM go to your 3RM. Start at the normal using 15's but go for the 20 reps. Definately eat at least 500-1000 Kcals above maintenance every day. Once you get to your 5's start adding in one quick pulse rep set on each exercise after you do the 20 reps, use about 60% of your work set weight, go for the burn (may take 7 or 8 reps but if pulsing right it shouldn't take anymore than that).

Pull downs narrow suppinated grip, when you get to your body weight then do pull ups and add weight via dip belt to keep progressing, use full ROM

Heavy Rows, Bent or Seated (I prefer Bent), use full ROM and bring your shoulder blades together at the top.

Dips, add weight via dip belt to progress

Incline Bench, 1" wider than shoulder grip

Shoulder press or military, shoulder width grip

Arnold Press or DB Shoulder Press

BB curl

heavy pressdown

Then add your leg work in or do your legs first.

Once you start getting into moving some heavy weight your arms will explode, forearms, bi's and tri's.

wow thanks for the super tip dkm!
worship.gif

what's one quick pulse rep set? is it like a dropset?
i think 3RM will kill me. i'll stick with 5RM and do 4 sets to get 20 reps total, right?

whooo can't wait to let my arms explodeeee!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ April 01 2005,10:22)]wow thanks for the super tip dkm!  
worship.gif

i think 3RM will kill me. i'll stick with 5RM and do 4 sets to get 20 reps total, right?
laugh.gif
I was an hardgainer too... don't forget that squat is also the most "anabolic" exercise because it improve your anabolic hormones so also your arm should be better. I am at 4 cycle of HST , I'm 40 ,6 and 2, on september I was 194lbs 10,67% fat, now I am 211lbs 10,95% fat ....15lbs of muscles . I workout 3 times a week with 2 routine , I have 1 specific ex for biceps in only routine a and I DON'T DO SPECIFIC EX FOR TRICEPS but I made now dip with 121lbs under me for 4 reps. My arms contract are 1,4 foot thank to the multiarticolar exercises......It's only my experience but I think that if you are really an hardgainer , do less of everything , I use ( after specific warm up) only 1 set for exercise and believe me, I'm  never grown up like this before.  excuse me for my english, you see ....I 'm italian . bye

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ April 01 2005,9:22)]wow thanks for the super tip dkm!  
worship.gif

laugh.gif
Kinda like a drop set but instead of doing full ROM you pulse the rep in a limited ROM, not allowing for lactate clearance, this creates the burn much faster.

The whole idea is the increased weight used in the larger compounds do stimulate the bi's and tri's more than isolation alone, so going to the 3RM adds more tension to the synergist muscles, more tension=more growth. Understand I am not saying you can't grow with concentrating on the isolation exercises, but generally you can not use the same amount of weight in an isolation and even though the synergistic muscles are taking some of the tension the overall increase in weight has a larger effect.

Like I said just try it and see, once you start moving relatively heavier weight your arms will respond in the way you want them to. GROW.

BTW, stick to 3X week, since you are clustering you should be able to increase the weight each workout, towards the end of the cycle you may need to split into a 6X week or AM/PM to keep the workout time down but you'll know when you need to do this.

hey loris, looking good at 40!
thumbs-up.gif

which would be more anabolic.. deadlifts or squats? i've only seen one person in the gym that i go to that does squats perfectly. it would boost my ego if i can do it correctly though. squats or deadlifts? although i do not know my rep maxes in squats.. i think i'd rather go on deadlifts. geez i answered my own question.

dkm, so i would replace the week of 5s with a week of 3s? i don't know my 3RM... i think i'll do 3RM instead of 5RM next cycle. for now, i'll stick with my week of 5s and just to negatives (still 20 reps total, am i correct?)
i appreciate your time in answering my silly questions.
worship.gif

just an update... i did 20 reps total in my deadlifts early this morning and it is so hard to do. i did 15 reps first set then added 5 more reps. and dkm said to keep total reps to 20 althroughout the cycle.. when i'm in the 5s already... do you guys think i can still do 20 reps total? plus pulse rep set?that would be back breaking.
crazy.gif

I don't think you can really say that squats or deadlifts is "more anabolic" than the other. I mean, there may be a difference, but in my opinion, if there is a difference it is miniscule.
Personally, I prefer squats just because they are a lot harder than deadlifts for me. I have no problem doing the whole set, but I always have to rest at least a minute or two before I've caught my breath. Deadlifts don't hit me quite like that.

Because of that, I recommend squats over deadlifts, but if you are expecting squats to give you a huge rise in test, similar to roids... well, it won't happen.

By the way, how do you perform your deadlifts? Do you use an over/under grip? You've said that your arms don't grow well, so an over/under grip would be a good idea for you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ April 05 2005,5:44)]do you guys think i can still do 20 reps total? plus pulse rep set?that would be back braking.
crazy.gif
If 20 is too much then cut back, no biggy. Also look at your time between clusters, perhaps you need a little more time. It is the TUT with the given load we are after not how much sweat you produce.

The pulse reps with Deads or Squats wouldn't do much good. Try doing a set with leg ext and ham curls after your deads or squats.

totenz - yes i'm using over/under hand grips
dkm - ok i think i'll cut back to 15 reps for deadlifts. it kills.
thanks a lot guys. i appreciate it.
thumbs-up.gif
worship.gif

ok just another update..
when i did deadlifts early this morning... i felt a spark twitch on my lower back. like some sparkplug that turned on. it must be the engine of my body lol but it hurts. and i don't want to continue deadlifts anymore.. i'm transfering to squats.. since the quadriceps are being exercised with squats, should i stop the leg extention (isolation for quads)? . i think it would be too much stress on the quads if i do squats + leg extention

thanks in advance
worship.gif

Back