Need Advice on Gym

nipponbiki

Hello everyone.

I have a slight dilemna in choosing my new gym. I live in Japan and gyms are little more than a pool and aerobics studio, so they do not have the equipment one would normally expect.

So, there are two gyms I am choosing between. Here is the rundown. One has a power rack, so I could do proper benches, squats, and deadlifts. Dumbbells only up to 75 pounds, but in 10 pound increments, not 5. No dip or pull up capability. The machines they have are really old air-pressure based machines, and I don't like they way they feel.

The other gym is newer with new Precor machines. Dumbbells only up to 65 pounds but in 5 pound increments. Dip and pull up capability, but only with body weight, they won't even allow me to bring my own belt and attach weight to it. The problem is the power rack. It is like half-power rack and half-smith machine. It is plate loaded, but the bar is attached to vertical supports like a smith machine. So no freedom of movement. Tried everything, and deadlift felt especially weird.

So, what do you guys think is better? I am leaning toward the newer gym, but not sure. What do you guys think of doing squats and deadlifts on the machine I described? Or even bench presses for that matter?

Please help!!!

So, what

Back