Need Advice on Gym

nipponbiki

Hello everyone.
I have a slight dilemna in choosing my new gym. I live in Japan and gyms are little more than a pool and aerobics studio, so they do not have the equipment one would normally expect.
So, there are two gyms I am choosing between. Here is the rundown. One has a power rack, so I could do proper benches, squats, and deadlifts. Dumbbells only up to 75 pounds, but in 10 pound increments, not 5. No dip or pull up capability. The machines they have are really old air-pressure based machines, and I don't like they way they feel.
The other gym is newer with new Precor machines. Dumbbells only up to 65 pounds but in 5 pound increments. Dip and pull up capability, but only with body weight, they won't even allow me to bring my own belt and attach weight to it. The problem is the power rack. It is like half-power rack and half-smith machine. It is plate loaded, but the bar is attached to vertical supports like a smith machine. So no freedom of movement. Tried everything, and deadlift felt especially weird.
So, what do you guys think is better? I am leaning toward the newer gym, but not sure. What do you guys think of doing squats and deadlifts on the machine I described? Or even bench presses for that matter?
Please help!!!

Go to the local nightclub with the biggest bouncers/doormen and ask them where they train...

You can't polish a brick & expect to make a mirror out of it.

If only it were that simple.

There just arent many gyms here, I have researched and went to all gyms that are within a reasonable distance from my house.

Bottom line is, these are the 2 gyms I have to choose from (in other words, the best two of all the gyms I looked at).

Which one is better for HST? Pretty simple question for anyone who has good experience with HST, I would think.

Can't you rig a dip machine and pull up bar at home? then the gym with the power rack would win. also can't you get magnets to add weight to the dumbells?

Hi nipponbiki san

I'd go for the first gym.

Basically because of the power racks, the dumbells are not too bad, you would just slow down the increments by using same weight for a while before going up a "jolt".

The other side of the coin is, don't use much dumbells except where strictly necessary.

Step 3 - get to know the owner and introduce him to HST, throw in some business ideas and convince him to rig up the gym, one hell of a machine is Dave Drapper's Dungeon, going for 6995 USD it is a steal, wish I could lay me hands on a animal like that.

Hope this helps

One wonders why they won't let you bring your own dip belt :confused:.

Seems strange...I bring mine to every gym I train at, and have never run into any problems. Can't you reason with them -- explain that you like doing dips but bodyweight alone isn't enough?

Bringing a dip delt is just as bringing straps, or something like that to enhance your training.

Regards & good luck,
/ R

Back