Needing Some Expert Criticism

gypsylifter

Hey guys

I hope you are well.

I have been using the HST principals for about 8 months now and it’s amazing.

I would really appreciate you criticizing the following aspects of my routine.

1. I currently go to the gym every second day with no break, and will do so for around a 8-9 weeks straight. I will then spend 14 days off for strategic decondition where I will do NO gym.

2. My ‘days’ are as follows – 12 rep, 10 rep, 8 rep, 6 rep, 6 rep then start over.

3. I do two exercises to for each body part, upping the weight for each session, As follows

Pull up (back)

Bench press (chest)

Shoulder side raise (shoulder)

Skull crush (tri)

Flat bar (bi)

Row (back)

Chest fly (chest)

Upright row (shoulder)

Cable pull down (Tri)

Chinup (bi)

I then throw in some leg movements. I finish off with 2 sets of deadlifts, 8 reps each and 2 sets of squats, 8 reps each

So what are your thoughts on the above? Am I doing too much? Should I be changing my reps? Should I be simplifying my routine for my ‘12’s day so that I’m not spending over an hour in the gym? Am I doing too much?

This routine has allowed me to gain about 4kgs in 2 months, and I want to make sure I have fine-tuned it perfectly before going any further – HST is a lot of effort and I do NOT want to waste a single session

I really appreciate any of your thoughts and feedback. Please understand, you advice is helping me and helping me educate others. Please do not post comments for the sake of it or provide feedback that isn’t constructive

Thank you all.

Matt

Is there any reason why you aren't following a more standard HST routine, ala 2 weeks of 15s, 2 weeks of 10s, 2 weeks of 5s?

Have you read the ebook linked to in the sticky thread?

The routine is ok but could be improved quite a bit in my opinion. I would never use lateral raises as my main shoulder movement. Why no overhead work?

I would do only one exercise for tris and other for biceps. I would drop chin-up a it's pretty similar to pull-ups.

I also think you could do deadlifts in the beginning of session since they are very taxing.

Thanks for the reply guys - some great points

1. I choose not to do overheads due to an injury from Rugby - the shoulder still feels a bit dodgy.

2. I agree with the lat raises point - as this is not really a compound movement. I also do the upright row and am lifting heavy on this

3. I'm not to sure how i cam to varying from the HST routine, but i have seen massive results with this routine and am keen to see it out for at least 8 weeks.

4. Yes i have read the ebook.

5. I agree - dead lifts at the start is probably a better idea.

some great feedback guys - anymore?

2. My ‘days’ are as follows – 12 rep, 10 rep, 8 rep, 6 rep, 6 rep then start over.

Matt,

Are you saying that you do 12 reps one session, then 10 reps the following session etc or you two week blocks of 12 reps, then 2 weeks at 10 reps etc?

Upright rows (using a close grip) will likely cause more damage to your shoulder than OH presses.

Here is what I would prefer you to do with the routine you are currently using. Not really sure why you didn't include the leg work as part of the routine, but you need to figure that in as well.

Squats
SLDL or leg curl - Drop the regular deadliftss completely. Not necessary to both deads and squats if you are already doing both rows and pullups/chinups for back.
Pull up (back)
Bench press (chest) - Make sure this is flat bench
Something overhead (shoulders) it is very likely you can do an overhead shoulder press on a machine. Most guys I know with injuries can manage. Otherwise do incline bench press with a good 45 degree or so incline.
Skull crusher (tri)
Flat bar (bi)
Row (back) - Are you doing bentover rows or seated cable rows?
Dips (chest) - Don't do chest fly as they are an extremely shitty exercise to use when you go heavy. I've never seen anyone use proper form with a load close to their 5 RM
Upright row (shoulder)
-Drop the two extra arm exercises because they aren't necessary

Comsider close grip bench foe tris instead of skulls. Easier to maintain form when you go heavy.

Also: dont throw in legs. Add them as a proper part of your routine. As totz said: start with squats then SLDL or legpress.

Here is what I would prefer you to do with the routine you are currently using. Not really sure why you didn't include the leg work as part of the routine, but you need to figure that in as well.

Squats
SLDL or leg curl - Drop the regular deadliftss completely. Not necessary to both deads and squats if you are already doing both rows and pullups/chinups for back.
Pull up (back)
Bench press (chest) - Make sure this is flat bench
Something overhead (shoulders) it is very likely you can do an overhead shoulder press on a machine. Most guys I know with injuries can manage. Otherwise do incline bench press with a good 45 degree or so incline.
Skull crusher (tri)
Flat bar (bi)
Row (back) - Are you doing bentover rows or seated cable rows?
Dips (chest) - Don't do chest fly as they are an extremely shitty exercise to use when you go heavy. I've never seen anyone use proper form with a load close to their 5 RM
Upright row (shoulder)
-Drop the two extra arm exercises because they aren't necessary

Thanks for that advice - i really appreciate it.

Do you thing it will mean less gains if im only doing one bi and one tri exercise? i spose dips and chinups sort of cover these two muscle groups again right?

And yeah im doing seated cable rows

- what do you think of the rest of the routine and how im running it? ever heard of anything like this?

Thanks again

Doing 12, 10, 8 all in one week is fine though I don't think it is ideal. You aren't lifting heavy enough to get as much growth as you could. If you are going to do all three rep ranges in one week, I would prefer to see 12, 8, 5.

You will not get less gains in your arms by only doing one lift for bis and one for tris. Your arms are used in almost all the lifts you are doing and will be exposed to tension during all those, so they don't require a ton of work to get growth. They are also very small muscles compared to much larger muscle groups like the quads, the back, etc. Also, I agree strongly with the suggestion to do close grip bench instead of skulls. Less tension on the elbow joint and you can use far greater loads.

I agree about the shoulder work... Mil presses are no where near as scary for the shoulder as upright rows or even Lat raises, especially if you're going into 8 to 5rm territory.
I'd also do 1 set chin and 1 set pull up's.
Close grip presses might be a little taxing in the shoulders too... They are mine.

I need to figure out how to do close grip bench.

I touch it to upper-abs personally. I find that if I flare out the elbows then it causes my shoulders all kinds of grief.

Visually for me it's the BB bench equivalent of a 'diamond push up', though obviously benching is across the board far less useful or functional than a push up, but that's how I visualise it.

The bar falls far lower on me as well, than a normal, elbows out bench...upper abs with elbows tucked. I find when I'm nearing failure with closegrips, the bottom 2/3rd of the movement I can still manage well...it's that 1/3rd just before topping out that kills me! I'm assuming it's from the mechanical nature of the movement. ...?
Totally opposite than a regular press.

Back