Negs Week?

Sun-Tzu

I'm starting the 5's this week and wanted to be prepared for the negs.

Does the negs week involve doing negs 3 times a week with the same weight each time? Their is no progression with the negs correct? I was thinking of doing something like 2 rpm weight (say 80) for 3 reps and than 2 reps of 105% of 1rpm (say 105) for each exercise that I can do negs on.

For a beginner do you recommend just one week of negs or should I do two?

Thanks

This is something I am also curious about. I'll start checking the forums to see if I can find the answer. I've read alot of these posts, but dont remember seeing anything addressing this particular question.

I believe I read that, if this is your first or second cycle, to just go with the 2RM and pump out some negs after that. I also remember no mention of progression.

I went against that though, and am just doing things by feel. Since I got stronger, I did my first day of "negs" as my true current 5RMs. From there I slapped on more weight for the next days, of course, not going overboard. I'm adding more weight every workout to some exercises (such as rows, chins etc) but on some, I just can't (like the incline dumbell bench - almost crushed my face once hah
butbut.gif
)

I suggest doing one day of your true 5RMs, and feel it out from there.

Rovi,
LOL
laugh.gif
but seriously though I know what you mean. You're like help agh
crazy.gif

So I could do my 2rpm max weight for the last week by doing 3 reps of that and than do 2 negs and DON'T progressively increase weight?

I think you were saying start with 5rpm weight and then progressively move it to 2rpm than negs correct?

Why am I confused, I should know this.

I'm pretty new at this too, so don't take anything I say too seriously (except the face crushing bit).

But yeah, start at 5rm, then guage how much you can do for negs (ie. if you think you can handle 5 negative reps with an extra 100 pounds hanging off you for chins, split that into 20 pound increments - assuming you're doing 6 workouts per 2 weeks)

By the last week you'll want to be doing (at least I do) pure negatives (weight beyond your 1rm). Of course, I'm not saying working towards your 2rm won't provide results.

You know what, I just read your post again,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think you were saying start with 5rpm weight and then progressively move it to 2rpm than negs correct?
and  you basically said what I just said in way less words. hah sorry.  
sleeping.gif

To be completely honest, the negatives scare the crap out of me.
Too high a risk of injury for me at least. I opt for the drop sets instead. I think they accomplish, at least somewhat of the same thing -- that thing being increased systematic stress.

drop sets?

I just went back and re-read the faqs section again on this.

Apparently you can do your 5 rpm for 2 more weeks after your 5's and NOT change the weight at all if you are scared of negatives or

"- Select a load which is approximately your 2-rep max and do 1-2 concentric+3-4 eccentric reps for all 6 workouts of this phase. This is the easiest way and should be followed for your first try with the program."

I'll be mixing the two as I don't have a spotter. Thanks for the help guys.

I do drop sets with negatives.  I love the negatives, though I can't do them with every exercise.  I really load up for chins and dips though.  My 5RM for dips is 110 and I'll probably hit 190 with negs.  I tend to get growth comparable to the 10's there, about 4-5 pounds in 2 weeks.
Negative chins are really the only exercise I can feel any serious DOMS in my lats.

I just increase the weight by 10 pounds until I can only get 4-5 reps. I'll do 2-3 sets and follow-up with a drop set. 2 weeks of that and I want to SD.

It's two and a half weeks till my negs stage, and since I lift solo I was going to continue on with my 5RM. However, I want to add in the idea of drop sets.. so should I just do drop sets without hitting failure... also what % should I do.. when I did drop sets for my traditional routine, I would set the next few reps to 70% of what I was doing.

It doesn't matter what weight you use, as long as you feel significant "burn" in the muscle you work. It's just like the 15s.

Guys

I use progression in my Negs, and work it up to 120% of my 1 RM's, that would be my last day of workouts.

Obviously it does not have to be that way but it is working fine for me, maybe because I did not also do everything strictly by the book, but seriously the weight is heavy and the build is coming on
happy.gif

Patience is a requirement in this iron game guys
laugh.gif

But, but
butbut.gif
I never saw it...well dude!

Some of us are using it (progression that is) and it works, so pick what works for you, why get so technical, the simplest things are the ones that work best.
crazy.gif

Hard work and determination cannot be beaten by the technicalities.
tounge.gif

Agreed, HST is about training smarter not harder, pure fact ...this statement, but I tell you
sneaky2.gif
hard work is part of any worthy soldier.
wow.gif

Or else, we would be couch potatoes, and seriously believe in the TV adds containing this guy with the amazing body who used the latest gymmick being pushed or that gal with the wow looks and all the rest because she takes that particular supplement!

Hey...
laugh.gif
I am not beating anybody over the head! Just motivating you guys, go get it dudes, the HST program is there, the gym too, and the weights, let us keep them oiled and never...ever let rust set on them or God forbid cob webs!
happy.gif

This is why we are here!

Back