neural training

mellon

I heard from my doctor the other day that there was a study done on a very very unique kind of training.

The study involved a group of people that worked out in the gym, similar to you and I. The other group took 45 minutes out of every day to "imagine" that they were working out. They were told to "think" the entire workout through, including every rep, imagining it in as much detail as possible. Both groups had worked out before, and knew what to do.

The shocking thing was that both groups gained a similar amount of strength during the study! They concluded that the "thought" of utilizing muscle tissue was able to stimulate some of the nerves resposible for muscle contraction.

Does anyone know more about this study, and whether or not it is legitamate?

I have read about this study too.It just shows how much of learning component or neural componenent is there in increasing your strength.The same reason why beginners notice no signifcant hypertrophy in their first few months yet have significant increase in strengths.But I dont remeber exactly whether the subjects were beginners or experienced lifters.I have also read about people being hypnotised and being able to lift more than they used to.
:) Anoop

This study seems to illustrate why we SD more than anything. Of couse there's a lot of your mind and visualization involved in weightlifting- whether it's to "feel" the weight for bodybuilding, or to "psych" yourself up for a big lift. But I'd wager anyone would come back stronger than they had been if they sat around for a while, especially if they were overtrained to begin with, as so many are these days. So I'd like to see if the "thought" group had just finished a heavy cycle before the study, and exactly how long the study lasted. Let me know where I can read more on it if you can find it. :)

I think SD is Bryan's attempt at world domination... Unwittingly, he has set a trap for anyone brave enough to give HST a go: He has you ascertain your rm's then you take a week or so off, easy. That is until you actually do it, then you find all your thoughts are focused onto the 1st workout of week one (it's probably only day 2 of SD) and so it goes on. Mental rehearsal morning-noon-night. You visit the forum, looking for that secret method that allows you to stop SD & start lifting (it aint there).
SD finally ends, the workouts start: 48hrs between workouts "this easy" {but hard at the same time} is just too long! Thoughts again drift to visualisation of the next workout; 100% effort, 100% concentration.
5s arrive and the spectre of SD rears it's ugly head, again. Attention to form is imperitive - you're approaching the last productive workouts of this cycle.
Back into SD, time to check results/appraise exercises used/alter weights/look over the days' forum postings. Then you find all your thoughts are focused onto the 1st workout of week one (it's probably only again day 2 of SD) and so it goes on. Mental rehearsal morning-noon-night. You visit the forum, looking for that secret method that allows you to stop SD & start lifting (it aint there).
SD finally ends, the workouts start: 48hrs between workouts "this easy" {but hard at the same time} is just too long! Thoughts again drift to visualisation of the next workout; 100% effort, 100% concentration.
5s arrive and the spectre of SD rears it's ugly head, again. Attention to form is imperitive - you're approaching the last productive workouts of this cycle.
Back into SD, time to check results/appraise exercises used/alter weights/look over the forum postings.
ad infinitum... ;)

ahh the SD days, waiting for the upcoming cycle planning it in the deepest details, so full of expectations so full of hopes...
so sweet...

Back