Never sore

abashail

I'm in the middle of my 10s on my second full HST cycle, and so far so good, except for one thing.  I'm never sore after a workout.  I know that the standard recipe to deal with this is to inccrease volume, but I'm already doing 3 sets of each exercise in the 10s, going to 4 sets each would make the workout drag to almost 90 mins.  I suspect going to 6 days a week would fix me right  up, but I really don't have the time for that, and I thnk it would lead to horrible burnout in me.
Any hints?

Oh yeah, the workout!

Squats
Bent over barbell rows
flat bench press
still legged deadlifts
lat pulldown/chin when I get into the lower rep ranges
assisted dip
side lateral raises
tricep extensions
inclince dumbbell curls

3 sets of everything, sometimes 2 on the last 3 exercises if I'm running a little long.

I'm in the same boat. Just started my first new cycle (after about a year since my last regime).

I'm starting 4th week of 10s today but as yet, haven't had DOMs. I'm doing full body 3x week with 2 reps per exercise. I think I've slightly overestimated my RMs but I cant still push the weight (so I guess it isnt an overestimate?? We'll see at the 10RM).

I'm definately feeling the burn after completing reps - feeling pumped - but no soreness as such. Weights increasing well tho and I'm looking a little fuller.

It takes me a 2 to 3 week SD to feel any DOMS at all and still it is only very slightly for my first 2 workouts. DOMS is not necessary to stimulate growth. If you want to guarantee DOMS, take a longer SD.

BTW, 27 sets in one workout session is an awful lot of sets. It is important to realize that HST is about doing the minimum to stimulate the maximum growth. Doing more than that creates more fatigue but no anabolic benefit.

from my experiences and knowledge you have to look for the post-workout-tightness in the muscles and not for the DOMS per se.
goal is to produce enough strain and when you did your muscles will feel tight and you'll notice a certain tearing....

DOMS is not the ultimative indicator for hypertrophy

regards

I just wanted to add another voice to echo what was said above. I found on my cycle that I didn't get sore very much at all compared to what I was accustomed to, but I did get pumped during my workouts, and felt that nice tightness after each workout. I made better gains than I did before, when exercising for soreness, so that said enough to me.

I've done two cycles, I'm finishing an additional week of neg's this week. I've gained 26 pounds so far and had no DOMS until the second week of 5's each time. And even that DOMS was only slight.

Alright, sets my mind at ease. I guess I'll drop down to 2 sets per exercise (18 sets total) as well, which was my original plan. I just went up to 3 (27 total) when I was never sore, trying to follow Ridgely's article to increase volume if you're never tired or sore. I wasn't, so I did.

Oh, just for completeness, I should mention that I forgot to include abs (which I do in a more or less non HST manner) and calves (which I don't do at all, since my calves are gynormous and seem to get all the growth stimulus they need when I walk around) in the workout program I posted above.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ Mar. 21 2005,3:50)]I found on my cycle that I didn't get sore very much at all compared to what I was accustomed to, but I did get pumped during my workouts, and felt that nice tightness after each workout. I made better gains than I did before, when exercising for soreness, so that said enough to me.
yes this is excately what hst is about...
thumbs-up.gif

Back