New cycle, new workout...Help

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_grosse0850
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_grosse0850

I have below my 2nd cycle below, please look it over and tell me some changes you would suggest for my third cycle, would like to gain weight-full body, and get bigger chest (lower) and better abs. Thanks.

squats (no deadlifts, can't get form)
leg curls
bench
chin-ups
bent over row
Lateral raise
shrugs
calf raises
dips

squats (no deadlifts, can't get form)
leg curls
1 Arm DB row
Incline Bench
Dips
chin-ups
Lateral raise
shrugs
calf raises
crunches and/or Sit ups

Just my suggestion.

-bryan

How would a typical alternating routine go? do you mean an a/b split, what days of the week?

<div>
(grosse0850 @ Apr. 24 2007,17:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How would a typical alternating routine go? do you mean an a/b split, what days of the week?</div>
Depends on your frequency, but say you go with a standard 3x/week on Monday Wednesday Friday (MWF)...

M: A
W: B
F: A
M: B
W: A
F: B

Therefore, you will have three different loads instead of six, so for example:

Deadlift at 15 reps
1: 140
2: 160
3: 180

Whether you do the deadlift in your A or B workout, you follow that schedule, so you are lifting at your RM's in your 5th and 6th workouts. This setup gives you larger increases in progression which is usually more favorable to hypertrophy.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Both workouts that you and Bryan provided are sound. The only addition I truely do like that Bryan had were Dips.</div>
I second that. Dips would be great, since you want to emphasize your lower chest.

I am new to general lifting and hypertrophy, can anyone show me a link on forums, or tell me what i should search/look for an A/B split. Thanks for all the help

I, too, had some confusion about the A/B split. As a single workout (same thing M-W-F) has six workouts per minicycle, which leads to your max being on the 2nd Friday... how would you break that up with an A/B split? As in, after how many &quot;A&quot; workouts would it be until you used your max for that minicycle?

Would you still do it on the 6th workout, which would be 4 weeks instead of two?

There are several ways you can approach an alternating routine. You can do each workout three times during the two weeks, which means fewer and larger increments. You could do A B A on week one, then B A B on week two, reaching your maxes on the last Weds and Fri. Or... you can still do six workouts for each one and end up going for four weeks in that rep range.

My favored method is to stick to A B A each week, so that I am only hitting the B workout twice, and the A workout four times. I stick the lifts that I don't like as much on the B workout, and keep the lifts that I want to focus on in the A workout.

Back