New to HST

• Thread starter imported_fla2day
  • Start date
I

imported_fla2day

Hello all,
I have been lifting for 9 months now. I have mainly done Max-ot for that time and have had good results. I have mainly been at it to lose body fat and have dropped from 26% to 13%. I went on vacation and then took some time off and am now back to 17%.
I want to start a HST program and have read the program and the FAQ's. Would some of you please help me set up the program. As I have it I have 16 sets which seems a bit much but I don't know what to cut out. I was going to do MWF ABA.
A
Squat (1)
Laying leg curl (1)
Standing calf (2)
Inc BB Bench (1)
Dips (1)
Pull ups (1)
DB row (1)
DB shoulder press (1)
Seated rear lat raise (1)
Hammer Curl (1)
Preacher curl (1)
Shrugs (2)
Skull crusher (1)
Tri push down (1)
B
Leg Press (1)
Seated ham (1)
Mule calf (2)
Inc DB press (1)
Flat BB bench (1)
Hammer rows (1)
Pull-down wide (1)
Side lat (1)
DB shoulder press(1)
Alt DB curl (1)
BB curl (1)
Shrugs (2)
Skull crushers (1)
Tri Push downs (1)
I was going to do cardio and abs on TT and Sat. I thought doing an AM PM upper lower split might help, would it?
Also, with how can you warm up each body part and still get out of the gym in 45 min. I did it in max-ot but was only working 2 body parts each day.
Thanks for any and all help.

If I was you, I'd stick to one chest exercise per workout and alternate A-B-A, but with 2 sets. Incline BB and Dips would be my choices. It makes the increments easier to figure out, and DB movements are better suited for the heavier stages IMO, because you can't increment as well during the 15s and 10s.

2 sets for the back each workout is all you need. I prefer to do 2 sets of the one exercise, and alternate b/t a pulling and a rowing movement, but I do 6x per week. So do 1 set of each if it suits. Also, you'll only need one set for biceps and triceps. These guys get worked a bit during pulling and pressing movements, esp. during the 5s and 5RM/negs.

When counting sets for the total workout, I don't really count the calves. Calves need to be hit at LEAST 2 sets, and in my opinion hitting them 5 times during the 5s isn't without merit....they take such a punishing moving your body around/carrying the weight whenever you're moving.

I think you'll be surprised at how easily you'll be able to make a workout fit into 45-50mins, inc. stretching. At first during the 15s it may take longer, as they often feel like a cardio session and you'll be caught for breath. You can superset (or quickly move b/t) antagonist exercises. And when you only have 1 set of them, it's 'do it and move on.'

I would suggest cutting out 1 bicep and 1 tricep exercise as they will get a lot of work from some of your compound movements. I would also add in 1 more quad exercise as that is the biggest muscle and working it more will help with your bf also.

As for warm ups, all I do is bodyweight pull ups, squats and push ups. It takes less than 5 minutes. If you take 1 minute to exercise then rest 2 minutes, you should finish in 45 minutes plus another 5 for warm up.

Back