Next HST Program Critique.

MrNasty

Fogive me the sloopy post, I was beat last night and sleeping, actually, during the write of this thread. Let me edit....

2on/1off ... OR, if needed ... 2on/1off/2on/2off - upper/lower split.

2 sets per exercise, Reps of 10 & 5, with a progression in load starting at day one. Increases of 10% on large muscle and 5% on small muscles will be used. Each WO will be repeated once (maybe twice) to extend the program. I will be working to subfailure - never failure.

The routine lookes as follows:
Day 1: Chest, Back, Delts, Traps
Day 2: Legs. Arms
Day 3: OFF
Day 4: Chest, Back, Delts, Traps
Day 5: Legs. Arms
Day 6: OFF
Day 7: Repeat...

However, if it looks as though I might be in over my head, I'll take an additional day OFF on sunday; giving me 2 days full rest at the end of each week. Also, I'm using leg/arms day as a sort of specialization day - so long as I can handle it. The number of exercises is optional and adjustable. I simply posted eercises I wish to use. So, one leg/arm day I might use 2 exercises, another day 3 ... it just depends on how I feel. I wanted to leave room to move around within the program.

ROUTINE A - Upper:
Back:
- Pull Ups (Wide Grip)
- Pull Downs (Close Grip)
- Hammer Strength #1

Chest:
- Incline/Flat DB Press
- DB Butter Flies
- Dips

Delts:
- DB Press
- Lateral Raises
- Reverse Flies

Traps:
- Shurgs
- DB Shrugs

ROUTINE A - Lower + Arms:
Legs:
- Reverse Squats
- Leg Extensions
- Seated Calves

Bis:
- Incline Curls (Hammer/Curls)
- Hammer Strength Preacher
- Rope Curls
- Reverse Plated Curls

Tris:
- Hammer Dips
- Tri Extension (One Hand/French)
- Rope Push Downs
- Kick Backs

------------------------------------------------

ROUTINE B - Upper:
Back:
- Pull Ups (Close Grip)
- Pill Downs (Wide Grip)
- Hammer Strength #2

Chest:
- Incline/Flat BB Press
- Hammer Strength Flies
- Dips

Delts:
- Military Press
- Side Lateral Raises
- BB Raises

Traps:
- Shurg
- DB Shrugs

ROUTINE B - Lower + Arms:
Legs:
- Leg Press
- Leg Curls
- Seated Calves

Bis:
- DB Preacher Curls (Hammer/Curls)
- Hammer Strength Preacher
- Rope Curls
- Reverse Easy Bar Curls

Tris:
- Skulls
- Tri Extension (One Hand/French)
- Cable Push Downs
- Kick Back

I also forgot to mention that I'll be using AAS, which should help with voume, during this program. I hope this helps .... Thanks for the replys. What do you think? Still to much?

:D HUGE greetings, MrNasty!

I am only recently returned to HST, and assisted training is not my area of expertise, so I have no comments or advice. Your program certainly looks complete.
thumbs-up.gif

I do have a few questions though... What is your thinking behind the number of exercises for each muscle group? Wouldn't you be spending an inordinate amount of time with warm up and set up and such?

Are you prepared for this kind of volume? Is this what you have been doing? My instincts tell me this is way too complex, but your own training experience will be the determining factor. Just remember that some of the best results have come from folks doing just the "big four".

Good luck and keep us posted!
Kate

I would say that what you posted is a good routine if you have the following conditions:

Chemical assistance

Your legs are overdeveloped compared to the rest of your body

Your arms are underdeveloped compared to the rest of your body

You "naturally" respond better to volume rather than frequency.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Feb. 24 2005,6:12)]I would say that what you posted is a good routine if you have the following conditions:
Chemical assistance
Your legs are overdeveloped compared to the rest of your body
Your arms are underdeveloped compared to the rest of your body
You "naturally" respond better to volume rather than frequency.
THAT'S ME!!!

Well, partly ... I do feel my arms are under developed. I'm certainly happy with the size of my legs. And I will be chemically assisted in this next program.

Let me edit my last post as well to give you a better understanding .... SCROLL BACK UP!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ Feb. 24 2005,9:47)]:D HUGE greetings, MrNasty!
I am only recently returned to HST, and assisted training is not my area of expertise, so I have no comments or advice.  Your program certainly looks complete.
thumbs-up.gif

I do have a few questions though...  What is your thinking behind the number of exercises for each muscle group?  Wouldn't you be spending an inordinate amount of time with warm up and set up and such?
Are you prepared for this kind of volume?  Is this what you have been doing?  My instincts tell me this is way too complex, but your own training experience will be the determining factor.  Just remember that some of the best results have come from folks doing just the "big four".
Good luck and keep us posted!
Kate
Greetings to you as well....

Let me answer a few of your questions:
I'm currently doing a fullbody 3x a week routine, 2 exercises per msucle group at 3 sets an exercise. Ive completed 3 HST cycle inthis fashion. Previously my training methods where "Go inthe gym and KILL yourself," once a week (you know, the more traditional methods used). But I found HST.

I guess you can say I'm used to higher volume training - which I'm trying to weene myself from. It was a suggestion from a fellow memeber some time ago who is known for knowing his HST. I too like th way it looks on paper. i guess now the only thing to do is take it for a test drive.

I edited my initial post - give it a look ... Scroll up!!

FOR MY 2ND QUESTION: (didnt I tell ya it was two part?) :D

I need to extend my HST routine out 16wks; I'm only usinf 10's an 5's. How would I go about doing this?

Here is my idea:
wk 1-4: 10's (1 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 4-8: 10's (2 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 8-12: 5's (3 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 12-16: 5's (4 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)

OR...

wk 1-4: 10's (2 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 4-8: 5's (3 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 8-12: 10's (3 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 12-16: 5's (4 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)

I'm really not sure ... I was going to start out low volume because the AAS I'll be usinf wont truely take effect until week 3 or 4. i would then start increasing volume (althought the effect is deminishing, I thought it might help). I here people say all the tme no zigzagging though. I'm confused...

For PCT, not to worry, I planned on sticking with 5's and my same loads, but reducing volume to 1 set per exercise. I'm also not going over my natty RMs in an effort to keep from losing some of the gains post cycle. I "might" max out every so often with heavier weight then my RMs, but just for shits and giggles and using only 1RM.

Anyhow, what would be optimal. Please share if you can think of any other variations. THANKS...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Feb. 25 2005,12:53)]I need to extend my HST routine out 16wks; I'm only usinf 10's an 5's. How would I go about doing this?
Here is my idea:
wk 4-8:  10's (2 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 8-12:  5's (3 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 12-16:  5's (4 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
OR...
wk 4-8:  5's (3 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 8-12:  10's (3 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
:D HUGE regreetings, MrN!

Okay, here's the thing. Even if you respond well to volume, you still need an upward progression of weights to make this an HST program.

Zigzagging does allow some backtracking at the start of each rep range inorder to stay short of failure. However throwing in two weeks of less weight (as in week three of your second example), would pretty much take you out of the HST loop. There may be reasons to do just that (calorie burn, maintenance, injury repair and basic function being a few).

To me the bottom line is this: If your primary goal is hypertrophy, you'd be much better off with the first example. Load progression is one of the basic premises of this program.
thumbs-up.gif

I'd still like to know about the number of exercises you have chosen. Do you get bored easily? (I sure do understand that one). You're not worries about trying to hit each muscle from several different angles, are you?

Confusion (mental or muscular) is not part of this program (well, unless I am the one trying to explain the science behind it
crazy.gif
). Fewer exercises (not fewer sets) should be more efficient with your time, your energy and your nervous system, leaving more of all three to grow more muscle
thumbs-up.gif

That's how the crazy old lady sees it....
Happy hypertrophy! Kate

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ Feb. 26 2005,10:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Feb. 25 2005,12:53)]I need to extend my HST routine out 16wks; I'm only usinf 10's an 5's. How would I go about doing this?
Here is my idea:
wk 4-8:  10's (2 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 8-12:  5's (3 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
OR...
wk 4-8:  5's (3 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
wk 8-12:  10's (3 set/exercise w/ repeating WOs)
:D   HUGE regreetings, MrN!
Okay, here's the thing.  Even if you respond well to volume, you still need an upward progression of weights to make this an HST program.
Zigzagging does allow some backtracking at the start of each rep range inorder to stay short of failure.  However throwing in two weeks of less weight (as in week three of your second example), would pretty much take you out of the HST loop.  There may be reasons to do just that (calorie burn, maintenance, injury repair and basic function being a few).
To me the bottom line is this:  If your primary goal is hypertrophy, you'd be much better off with the first example.  Load progression is one of the basic premises of this program.    
thumbs-up.gif

I'd still like to know about the number of exercises you have chosen.  Do you get bored easily?  (I sure do understand that one).  You're not worries about trying to hit each muscle from several different angles, are you?
Confusion (mental or muscular) is not part of this program  (well, unless I am the one trying to explain the science behind it  
crazy.gif
 ).  Fewer exercises (not fewer sets) should be more efficient with your time, your energy and your nervous system, leaving more of all three to grow more muscle  
thumbs-up.gif

That's how the crazy old lady sees it....
Happy hypertrophy!  Kate
Lovely ...

I assumed example one would be most appropriate. & yes, the progression in load is a must and will be incorperated. xtending 10's and 5's, though, for 16wks is a HUGE task.

Got any ideas...? Besides repeated workouts...small increment increases perhaps??

lol, hahaha ... thanks for the help thus far.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Feb. 26 2005,12:22)] xtending 10's and 5's, though, for 16wks is a HUGE task.  
Got any ideas...? Besides repeated workouts...small increment increases perhaps??  
HHhhmmmmmm this is quite a puzzle. Smaller increments will get you stronger for sure, but there is definitely a minimal load increase if you're trying to grow. The customizing thread or the FAQs will give you a better "recipe" than I.

laugh.gif
Now I see the reason behind so many exercises...

The only thing I can think of off hand is that RBE will happen more slowly with heavier weights, so you might go heavier on the number of 5 workouts as opposed to the tens. Clustering should help extend the fives. I'll think on this some more...

In the meanwhile, since I have no doubt missed the original post on this one, a few more questions, if you'd be so kind...
Are you training for a contest (in other words, what's with the time frame)? Are you certain you wouldn't be better off with two short, Nasty cycles?

Curiouser and curiouser,
Kate

No contest - I'm trying to fit HST into an AAS cycle, or rather, AAS into a HST cycle, 16wks in length.

That's 1: the reasonf or the increase in exercises, and 2: the reason for my time frame. I still have to figure out the best way to end both cycles and what to do for PCT.

FUN huh? Like I've said before ... sh*t was so much easier backwhen I didnt know anything. Now a days, its so much more difficult.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Feb. 26 2005,8:40)] Now a days, its so much more difficult.
:D Try running the search engine on this subject... I'm sure it has been covered. I'll be interested to hear what you come up with. I sure do get smart hanging around this place...

In the meanwhile, remember what I tell my newbie clients when they are learning to squat: Once you've got the basics down, you've got to get your brain out of the way and just sit down and stand back up again
tounge.gif

Good luck!
Kate

Back