Chins: 1 x 10; 1 x 7; 1 x3 @ BW
French Press: 1 x 10 @ 25 kg
Rear Lat. Raise: 1 x 8 @ 10 kg

4-30-2007

Incline Bench: 2 x 10 @ 85 kg
Pendlay Row: 2 x 10 @ 72.5 kg
Standing Press: 2 x 10 @ 50 kg
Shrug: 2 x 10 @ 95 kg

Didn't have as much energy today as I have been lately. But the weight doesn't feel heavy, just so winded after a set.

5-3-2007

Weighted Dips: 2 x 10 @ 30 kg
Weighted Chins: 3 rep clusters to 20 reps @ 5 kg
Deads: 2 x 10 @ 100 kg

As like the last workout, but even worse, the weight wasn't heavy but I was SOOOOO winded and my body was burning up afterwards.

It must be this new sauna thing I am trying. It is called GANBANYOKU (岩盤欲). Not sure how to translate it, so I will just explain it. The room is hot, but not nearly as hot as a normal sauna. This room is about 40 celsius where as a normal sauna is 60-70 celsius. You lie down on a bed of some kind of special rock. This causes the body to get hot deep inside as opposed to the skin getting hot. So, you sweat more than any other time in your life. My clothes were literally as wet as if I just pulled them out of the washing machine after one hour!!!

But, because your body is hot deep inside, and not the skin, it's a different kind of sweat, just like water. No salt, no stickiness. And it runs (has the viscosity) like water.

It is supposed to detox the body and boost your BMR slightly. I assume you guys don't have anything like this back in the States or in Europe, but if you have heard of this, let me know what the English is!

5-4-2007

Another cardio session before work.

Man, this ganbanyoku thing IS effecting me. I did the exact same cardio workout as I have been doing for the past few weeks--same machine, same program, same time of day, same everthing!--and I sweat twice as much as I usually do! My body felt like it was working diffferently, not harder by any means, but different in some way.

I have always felt hot. A certain temperature almost always feels hotter to me than another person. Like Steve, I wear shorts and T-shirt all year around at home and really really really dread wearing pants when the temperature is anything over 25 Celsius outside. But, I feel EVEN HOTTER since I started going to this ganbanyoku, and I have only gone twice so far.

Still don't know if this is a good thing or not, especially since summer is just around the corner!!!

5-7-2007

Incline Bench: 2 x 10@ 90 kg
Pendlay Row: 1 x 10 @ 75 kg, 1 x 10 @ 72.5 kg
Standing Press: 2 x 10 @ 55 kg

Work got in the way a bit this week (my work week is from Wednesday to Sunday), so I only ended up doing two weight training sessions and one cardio.

Well, last night was my last of the 10s and for the first time since I started HST, I actually went to failure on 10s!

And 75 kg is just a little too heavy for pendlays for the 10s.

Are you trying to kill yourself?
biggrin.gif

That ganbanyoku thing sounds crazy, it is Japanese for suicide?

Hehe! Not yet buddy!

Actually, it is a huge craze right now over here. These places are popping up all over the place, but usually as an upgrade to an "este" shop, which is a place women go to and pay like 100 dollars per session to have their face massaged and have all sorts of creams and treatments applied to it.

Mostly women are doing it, thinking it will help them lose weight as they advertise that it will raise the body's BMR. As a typical man, I think most of what women do (especially Japanese women) is a bunch of horseshit, but my wife and her sister are both professional nurses, and they did research on it and have doing it for a few months and always telling me the benefits and changes she has seen in her body, so I decided to give it a try.

On another note, I am SO sore from last night, especially my shoulders. They feel like they are just going to crumble and my arms will fall off!!!
cool.gif

Had a mini-vacation from work, so haven't been doing much in the way of working out the last few days.

I did go to the ganbanyoku again on Thursday. I sweat even more than when I went last week.

Then on Friday, again I did a cardio session before work. Again, because of the ganbanyoku, I sweat even more than last week's cardio session. However, this time, I was not as out of breath as I was after just starting this ganbanyoku thing. In fact, I felt like I had a better neural connectivity with my legs. I don't know how to explain it, but it was kinda like I was controlling someone else's legs and had sensors on the legs directly wired to my brain. I was able to feel when they were tired or burning or whatever, but it didn't effect my entire state as running intensely usually does. It were as though I could command my legs to do whatever I wanted to and the rest of my body was kinda separate from whatever my legs were experiencing. However, if this continues, I will have to be careful or otherwise it could result in injury.

I will start the 5s tonight with incline bench, pendlays, and standing press.

5-12-2007

Incline Bench: 3 x 5 @ 95 kg
Pendlay Row: 3 x 5 @ 75 kg
Standing Press: 3 x 5 @ 57.5 kg

This workout went very well. It was very easy, and my body feels like it is a bit more efficient somehow. Maybe because of increased blood flow and better blood quality. Think I will keep going to ganbanyoku for awhile.

I have also decided to start restricting my calories a little bit. Not a serious cut by any means, maybe 100 cals less than maintenance per day.

5-13-2007

Cardio session before work. Somebody was on the climber, so I ran on the treadmill a bit. Nice change of pace.

Well, with the mini vacation I had, I didn't get much done the last week and a half or so, but starting from today things are back to the routine. Had another session of the ganbanyoku yesterday. Feels great. Huge droplets of sweat developed very quickly during tonight's workout, but other than that, it was a great workout.

5-16-2007

Weighted Dips: 3 x 5 @ 35 kg
Weighted Chins: 3 x 5 @ 10 kg
Deads: 3 x 5 @ 110 kg
French Press: 1 x 10 @ 30 kg
Rear Lat Raise: 1 x 8 @ 10 kg

<div>
(nipponbiki @ May 12 2007,02:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Had a mini-vacation from work, so haven't been doing much in the way of working out the last few days.

I did go to the ganbanyoku again on Thursday. I sweat even more than when I went last week.

Then on Friday, again I did a cardio session before work. Again, because of the ganbanyoku, I sweat even more than last week's cardio session. However, this time, I was not as out of breath as I was after just starting this ganbanyoku thing. In fact, I felt like I had a better neural connectivity with my legs. I don't know how to explain it, but it was kinda like I was controlling someone else's legs and had sensors on the legs directly wired to my brain. I was able to feel when they were tired or burning or whatever, but it didn't effect my entire state as running intensely usually does. It were as though I could command my legs to do whatever I wanted to and the rest of my body was kinda separate from whatever my legs were experiencing. However, if this continues, I will have to be careful or otherwise it could result in injury.

I will start the 5s tonight with incline bench, pendlays, and standing press.</div>
I don't know if all of that is a good thing? Lol.. I would be careful with all of that stuff man if I ever thought my brain was connected to someone else's legs I'd poop my pants.

Haha!! Yeah, it was definitely a weird feeling. I also am not sure if it is a good thing or not either.

It has only happened that one time so far. Overall, going to this ganbanyoku is just making my body feel like internal systems are working more efficiently.

However, it looks like I may be returning to the US this summer. I doubt there are ganbanyoku in the US. Maybe I will have one built if a buy a house! Off topic but, man, I am actually kinda scared to come back after all these years. I don't know if I can fit in anymore. If I do come back, it will be with a Japanese company doing business there and my boss will be a Japanese who has been living there for quite a few years, so I should at least feel comfortable at this potential new job.

By the way, any of you guys live around Dallas?

5-19-2007

Missed my scheduled workout last night to an unexpectedly long second-interview by phone. No problem though, just did it tonight and will go ahead and do another tomorrow.

Incline Bench: 3 x 5 @ 100 kg
Pendlay Row: 3 x 5 @ 80 kg
Standing Press: 3 x 5 @ 60 kg
Shrugs: 3 x 5 @ 110 kg

Today I wasn't planning on going to ganbanyoku, instead I felt like going to my favorite public bath, which I haven't been to in a few months. There are many different kinds of bath, plus a sauna and stuff. I thoroughly enjoy switching the really hot bath and the cold water bath.

I went outside to sit in the outside bath and noticed that this public bath also has a ganbanyoku room! So, I lay in there for about 30 minutes. Ended up staying in the public bath for a total of nearly 3 hours.

Anyway, easy workout this evening.

Weighted Dips: 3 x 5 @ 40 kg
Weighted Chins: 1 X15 @ 15 kg
French Press: 1 x 10 @ 35 kg
Rear Lat Raise: 1 x 10 @ 10 kg

Today was the first time I tried MS for any exercise. I tried it with the weighted chins. Quite interesting. In a way, it was easier and yet harder than the usual sets. But, I understood immediately how it will help get out of plateaus.

Back