Not reaching your reps

• Thread starter imported_hardcoremc
  • Start date
I

imported_hardcoremc

Hey guys.
i'm in the 5th workout of my 15 reps, i've noticed that on some exercises i do not reach 15 reps for that weight. should I continue upping the weight for the next workout?

What happens if I do not reach the reps for the next workouts , will their still be growth?

thanks for any replies.

The easiest thing to do is to repeat that weight to keep that exercise consistent with your other exercises. However, the number of reps really isn't that important for growth, just ensure that you continue to increase the weight and work out frequently.

I'm interested in this as well. I figure if I'm doing 15s and can only hit say 12 or 13 reps, I'd either rest for like 15 seconds and pound out 2 or 3 more reps, or I'd do a quick drop set and do 6 or 7 reps at a lower weight right away. Are either of these strategies effective?

doc: yeah doing what you said is just fine

you should be able to get those reps out if you tested your RM's... make sure you have ample energy before you goto the gym, keep yourself hydrated and take a minute of rest between sets, maybe don't even superset

thanks for the replies.

when i tested the reps, i only did one set for each exercise whereas some exercises have two sets..

my routine is 18 sets, does that seem too much?
here is the list.
Leg Press 2
Squats 1
Decline Press 1
Dips 2
PullUps 2
B/b Rows 2
B/B Shrugs 2
Military Press 1
Lateral Raise 1
Rear Delt 1
Hammer Curl 1
Tricep Pushdown 1
Calf Raise. 1

Hi hardcoremc,

Just hoping that you are eating enough? I found the 15s were tough and required heaps of energy but I upped my calorie intake a lot and by the end of the second week all my previous 15RMs seemed much easier. I added a fair few pounds of bw even during 15s and I definitely felt stronger by the end of them.

If you can't make the full 15 reps on the second set of any exercise I wouldn't worry too much about that. I also wouldn't think there's much point in doing drop sets during 15s? Save them for the 5s when you might need a little more metabolic stimulation. It wouldn't do any harm but you are using energy unnecessarily.

All the best!

You are doing too much. I was like that before I found HST. Most guys who post here seem to agree that compound lifts are better so something like

bench
chins
dips
squats
deadlifts
and maybe finish up with calves, rows and mil press

Would be better then working all those little muscle groups. Sometimes less is more!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spyke @ Nov. 28 2005,8:35)]You are doing too much. I was like that before I found HST. Most guys who post here seem to agree that compound lifts are better so something like
bench
chins
dips
squats
deadlifts
and maybe finish up with calves, rows and mil press
Would be better then working all those little muscle groups.  Sometimes less is more!
alright, instead of the lateral raises and reardelts i'll do maybe 2-3 sets for shoulder pressing.

instead of tricep pushdown i'll stick with the 2 dip sets.

how is that little change? i don't want to have to figure out my RMs again cause i'm just starting the 10reps today.

throwing out those exercises and focusing a bit more on the compounds is a good move... good luck
thumbs-up.gif

Hardcoremc

If you are struggling on your second set but meeting your first one, do not worry, if not then up the carbs a little.

One other piecce of advice, if you want to keep all those exercises, split them up in two different days, that way you can focus more and give your body a chance without overdoing it!

Getting it from the sample routine doe not mean that it will suit you 100%, that is a one size fits all routine and will need tweaking according to one's liking/ability.

Once you have finished one cycle maybe then you will get what the guys are recommending, a short effective workout with compounds works wonders, you may want to keep the isolations as metabolic work later on on the 5's, but hey...its your choice mate.

Cheers, hope the advice from all is getting you somewhere!

wow if hes doing too much i must be over doing it also,
i do:
2xdecline db
2xflat bb/db
2xmilitary press
2xshrugs
1xrear delts
1xdeads
2xsquats
2xrows
2xcalves
2xbis 3x sometimes
2xtris 3x sometimes
2xabs
its a hard workout but i feel ok afterward and have made some good gains,it take me an hour and half.
too much? oh and that 3xweek

hardcore try it like this

here is the list.

Squats 1
Decline Press 1
Dips 2
PullUps 2
B/b Rows 2
B/B Shrugs 2
Military Press 1

Rear Delt 1
Hammer Curl 1
Tricep Pushdown 1
Calf Raise. 1

just taken out two exercises that are already covered with other exercises..so less time in the gym.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Squats 1
Decline Press 1
Dips 2
PullUps 2
B/b Rows 2
B/B Shrugs 2
Military Press 1

Rear Delt 1
Hammer Curl 1
Tricep Pushdown 1
Calf Raise. 1

Why doing Rows if you already do pullups? Skip the Military press and do the regular press, much better for you shoulders. Rear Delt is also needless

Keep it simple

Back