NSAIDS the Flip Side

dkm1987

Ibuprofen and acetaminophen promote muscle hypertrophy and strength gains during resistance exercise in the elderly

Chad C Carroll, Jared M Dickinson, Jennifer K LeMoine, Jacob M Haus, Eileen M Weinheimer, Christopher J Hollon and Todd A Trappe

FASEB J. 2008 22:753.31

ABSTRACT

This study examined the influence of chronic consumption of ibuprofen or acetaminophen during 12 weeks of knee-extensor resistance training (3d/wk, 70% 1RM) in the elderly. Thirty-six individuals were randomly assigned to one of three groups and consumed the drugs in double-blind placebo-controlled fashion: Placebo (67±2 y; 8M, 4F), Ibuprofen (64±1 y; 9M, 4F; 1.2g/d), or Acetaminophen (64±1 y; 7M, 4F; 4g/d). Resistance training alone (Placebo) increased (p<0.05) quadriceps muscle volume (M only: 8±2%; M+F: 9±1%) and muscle strength (M only: 20±3%; M+F: 23±2%). Compared to Placebo, muscle volume increases were greater in the Ibuprofen (M only: 11±2%, p<0.05; M+F: 11±2%, p=0.06) and Acetaminophen (M only: 13±1%, p<0.05; M+F: 13±1%, p=0.06) groups. Muscle strength increases were also greater than Placebo in the Ibuprofen (M only: 29±4%, p<0.05; M+F: 30±3%, p=0.06) and Acetaminophen (M only: 26±3%, p<0.05; M+F: 28±3%, p=0.06) groups. These results suggest that chronic consumption of ibuprofen or acetaminophen during resistance training induces intramuscular changes that enhance the metabolic response to resistance exercise, which promotes additional muscle hypertrophy and strength gains during resistance training in the elderly.

The effects of ibuprofen on muscle hypertrophy, strength, and soreness during resistance training.Krentz JR, Quest B, Farthing JP, Quest DW, Chilibeck PD.

Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008 Jun;33(3):470-5.

High doses of ibuprofen have been shown to inhibit muscle protein synthesis after a bout of resistance exercise. We determined the effect of a moderate dose of ibuprofen (400 mg.d-1) consumed on a daily basis after resistance training on muscle hypertrophy and strength. Twelve males and 6 females (~24 years of age) trained their right and left biceps on alternate days (6 sets of 4-10 repetitions), 5 d.week-1, for 6 weeks. In a counter-balanced, double-blind design, they were randomized to receive 400 mg.d-1 ibuprofen immediately after training their left or right arm, and a placebo after training the opposite arm the following day. Before- and after-training muscle thickness of both biceps was measured using ultrasound and 1 repetition maximum (1 RM) arm curl strength was determined on both arms. Subjects rated their muscle soreness daily. There were time main effects for muscle thickness and strength (p < 0.01). Ibuprofen consumption had no effect on muscle hypertrophy (muscle thickness of biceps for arm receiving ibuprofen: pre 3.63 +/- 0.14, post 3.92 +/- 0.15 cm; and placebo: pre 3.62 +/- 0.15, post 3.90 +/- 0.15 cm) and strength (1 RM of arm receiving ibuprofen: pre 18.6 +/- 2.8, post 23.4 +/- 3.5 kg; and placebo: pre 18.8 +/- 2.8, post 22.8 +/- 3.4 kg). Muscle soreness was elevated during the first week of training only, but was not different between the ibuprofen and placebo arm. We conclude that a moderate dose of ibuprofen ingested after repeated resistance training sessions does not impair muscle hypertrophy or strength and does not affect ratings of muscle soreness.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ May 09 2008,7:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">These results suggest that chronic consumption of ibuprofen or acetaminophen during resistance training induces intramuscular changes that enhance the metabolic response to resistance exercise, which promotes additional muscle hypertrophy and strength gains during resistance training in the elderly.
High doses of ibuprofen have been shown to inhibit muscle protein synthesis after a bout of resistance exercise.
Ibuprofen consumption had no effect on muscle hypertrophy
We conclude that a moderate dose of ibuprofen ingested after repeated resistance training sessions does not impair muscle hypertrophy or strength and does not affect ratings of muscle soreness.</div>
Well? Which is it?

This is like asking an elf...
rock.gif

I thought we'd had a study that showed the use of nsaids during exersize to be somewhat catabolic. Is that the reference to the PS? Or something else?

I see studies a lot done this way lately and I'm curious. We see &quot;Before- and after-training muscle thickness of both biceps was measured using ultrasound&quot; - but waitaminnit: since when does muscle grow right after a training session? Are we not just talking about pump here?

Ya see Dan, sometimes us old duffers ARE paying attention, despite the glazed looks.

The first study used high doses (maximum OTC dose) and acute training only looking at PS post one bout of training.

The second used mean dose levels and measured thickness change after weeks of training and NSAID use.

Well then, this is all good news, being one of the &quot;elderly&quot; subjects. I enjoyed ibuprofin during workouts for the stamina; now I find that it can actually HELP me make gains...eeexcellent, Smithers!
I have to wonder where that rumor of catabolism came from. Can't remember where I saw it, but stopped using painkillers because of it.

Back