Obesity studies

VIPER

First off I just wanted to say hey to everyone, since I haven't been on here in a longggg time. It's good to see some of the same names posting.

I have a friend that has to do a speech on children and obesity, and was wondering if anyone had studies or even articles to help her out. Studies would be great for statistical information in the speech but also articles to help her grasp more of the information. Thanks a lot!

VIPER

Look up the Scientific American for this month or last month. Big article on obesity in there with references. Don't know though if it was related to children.

I just Googled "Obesity, Children" and came up with 97,334 pages of links, including lots of sites dedicated to statistics.

Pender JR, Pories WJ.
Epidemiology of obesity in the United States.
Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2005 Mar;34(1):1-7. Review.

Webber LS, Bedimo-Rung AL.
The obesity epidemic: incidence and prevalence.
J La State Med Soc. 2005 Jan;157 Spec No 1:S3-11; quiz S11. Review.

Strock GA, Cottrell ER, Abang AE, Buschbacher RM, Hannon TS.
Childhood obesity: a simple equation with complex variables.
J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2005;15(1):15-32. Review.

Baskin ML, Ard J, Franklin F, Allison DB.
Prevalence of obesity in the United States.
Obes Rev. 2005 Feb;6(1):5-7. Review.

Hardy LR, Harrell JS, Bell RA.
Overweight in children: definitions, measurements, confounding factors, and health consequences.
J Pediatr Nurs. 2004 Dec;19(6):376-84. Review.

Clinton Smith J.
The current epidemic of childhood obesity and its implications for future coronary heart disease.
Pediatr Clin North Am. 2004 Dec;51(6):1679-95, x. Review.

Anderson ZJ.
Childhood obesity: assessing the cost.
J Okla State Med Assoc. 2004 Oct;97(10):418-21. Review.

Caballero B.
Obesity prevention in children: opportunities and challenges.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 Nov;28 Suppl 3:S90-5. Review.

Also go to the American Obesity Association Website and look at the Education links and Research Links, lots of useful stuff there including useful statisitics on demographics. American Obesity Assoc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 05 2005,3:14)]I just Googled "Obesity, Children" and came up with 97,334 pages of links, including lots of sites dedicated to statistics.
Haha yeah I already did but I figured someone here could give me more reputable ones.

Thanks a lot for helping guys' I definitely appreciate it.

DKM, great links to studies as usual.

Back