# of sets during 2nd cycle (15's)

• Thread starter imported_dans4173
  • Start date
I

imported_dans4173

When I start my 2nd cycle, do I keep the number of sets the same as the 5's I was doing in the 1st cycle or do i revert back to the number of sets I initially used during the 15's (1st cycle)?

Thanks in advance!!

I always do one set for the 15's. Considering the purpose of that particular rep range, my view is that more is actually worse, not better.

One set should be fine for 15s but it doesn't mean that you are limited to doing 15 reps with the initial loads. You might want to do some more reps to get a really good burn or just slow down the tempo to get a similar effect.

Try to think in terms of total reps for a cycle. If you start off with 15 reps you might want to try to keep that constant throughout the cycle. Or, after a bunch of cycles, 20 reps might be a good total to shoot for. It depends on what's working for you. There is no sense in doing more work than you need to to trigger a growth response. The tricky bit is that no-one can say for sure how much that is for an individual. If 15 reps worked for you the first cycle just stick with that and up your RM target loads.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Nov. 08 2006,21:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I always do one set for the 15's. Considering the purpose of that particular rep range, my view is that more is actually worse, not better.</div>
I suppose I should add that I don't do cardio, except on skate nights, so my fifteens are a bit of that as well as rehab for aging and overworked joints!
cool.gif

keep the set/reps the same...if you add weight to your max on the second cycle, then your not going to need to add sets, as your intensity will come from the addition of weight.

Back