Ok to train two days in a row?

Stefan

I usually train monday, wednesday, friday but my gym isn't open on fridays so I'm wondering if it's alright to train on, say, monday, wednesday and thursday? (I obviously do full body workouts)

Absolutely no problem.
thumbs-up.gif

Old and grey...doesn't training two days in a row go against the idea of resting a day between workouts for growth and rest?

Yes it does go against the idea of a days rest between workouts but who said you need to rest a day between working muscles (besides Mens' Health?) HST promulgates, or at least my interpretation of it, and many, many current research studies support, the premise that muscles should be worked 'no less than' once every 48 hours. The ideal circumstance for hypertrophy is a constant load, all the time, but that is not practical. However, every day, and even twice a day, certainly is. My best gains have been with twice a day workouts, 5 to 6 days per week. Onviously you have adjust volume downward when you train every day or you risk overtraining. However, that won't happen with a M, W, Th schedule.
thumbs-up.gif

Forgive me if I am having a hard time following something so simple :confused:

So you mean its okay to say train the chest on Monday HST style say with 3 sets of bench and then again the same way on tuesday?

So training the whole body HST style on Monday then Tuesday and Wednesday is ok?

:)

Yes, you can but be aware the calories needed to support this would need to be increased. Also the burn out effect could happen sooner.

Train when you can. Don't sweat the small stuff.  Otherwise you may drive yourself crazy over foolishness; unless you plan on being a professional bodybuilder (and it is unlikely to happen). Get your diet in order. It is actually more important than the exact order or quantity of the exercises. Trust me. Heck, that's how I got these great eyes.  
crazy.gif
Strive for great health and you will get a good body.
thumbs-up.gif

wouldn't training every day, or twice a day as some people have mentioned, cause serious stress to the CNS? I thought the idea that muscles are fully recovered in 48 hours meant that 48 hours of rest is sufficient, not that it is the maximum time that should be allotted to growth. Granted, I'm new to HST but I'm not new to lifting and it seems to me that intense training, especially multiple sets per excercise, done daily or twice daily is just asking for injury or burnout.

That's why you make your training less intense, and use less sets per exercise. Intensity and all that lingering bodybuilding advice is actually based on increasing strength, i believe ...

This is new age.
thumbs-up.gif

This is science. Basically for the fastest results, train as often and hard as possible with burnout, and eat enough for it as well. We're only human though, and the most intense i've seen is full body twice per day, 6 days per week. I believe it's almost allways just one set per exercise though. Can't imagine having very many sets when training that frequently.

Back