old and grey

cheeto-man

old and grey

i consider you a guru. i try to follow your lead as much as possible b/c it makes sense and works. i've been away from the board for a while (school) and am wondering what is new with your workout.

last i read, it was 1 set per exercise, multiple exercises per body part. i also know you do an am pm split.

my questions are, how do you split? upper lower? half and half? also what rep scheme do you follow, 15, 10, 5? and drops?

while i'm being pusy, would you post your workout for us ametuers? you are the man.
worship.gif

thanks

Hey Cheeto. Welcome back! I'm glad to see you haven't flunked out yet.    
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Thanks for the kind words.

The cycle I just finished February 5th was:

AM

BB Incline Bench Press
Dips
Incline Dumbell Flyes
DB/Smith Shoulder Press
Close Grip Bench Press
Overhead Tricep Rope Extensions
Shrug Bar Shrugs
Dumbell Shrugs

PM

Pull Ups
Seated Rows
Chin Ups
Straight Arm Pull Downs
Seated Hammer Curls
Concentration Curls
Squats
Leg Press
Leg Extensions

I basically did the routine 4 times per week or roughly every other day. I was pretty happy with it but have become convinced that even more frequency may be important, at least for me. Therefore, after a 23 day SD, 18 of which was planned and 5 caused by unavoidable life events, I am doing the following 5 days per week and hitting all body parts, except arms directly, twice per day:

AM

DB Incline Bench Presses
Chin ups
Seated Rows
Shoulder Presses
Close Grip Bench Presses
Squats
Shrug Bar Shrugs

PM

Dips
Pull Ups
Seated Rows
DB Shrugs
DB Preacher curls
Leg Presses
Leg Extensions

Obviously I am prioritizing back and traps with this routine.
2 days on, 1 day off, 3 days on 1 day off.

One set of each exercise. Using the standard 15, 10, 5 rep scheme except for legs which I find 20, 15, 10 reps to be best for me.

Tempo is 1,1 for 15's, 1,2 for 10's and 1,3 for 5's (concentric, eccentric)

Each workout should be about 20 minutes long, excluding set up, cardio and trunk work.

It ends up being 70 sets per week which is more than normal for me but I am coming off a longer than usual SD and the cycle will only be 4 weeks long so I think it will be okay. If not, I will cut out the arm exercises and the leg presses.

I will also be doing my typical trunk workout twice per week for core stability and endurance:

Weighted Crunch Macine
Decline Leg Raises
Lying side bends on hyperextion bench
Hyperextension

I just started the routine today so I have no feedback to provide yet.

If this doesn't work out well, I will probably go back to my previous workout as I was pretty happy with it.

I am more convinced than ever that, for me, variety of exercise is more efficient for hypertrophy than multiple sets. However, I also believe that multiple sets of core exercises are probably better for the beginning or intermediate lifter.
Good to have you back.  

thumbs-up.gif
happy.gif

hi o'n'g

I saw you did overhead rope extension..how are your experiences with this exercise?
did you perform it as a stretchpointmovement and did it help you gaining some triceps-mass?

I also like that exercise but because many mention that it will not stretch the triceps as much as frenchpress and lying overhaed barbell/dumbell extension I switched.

did you lean forward a lot or even performed on your knees?

regards and thx
hannes

I do them on occasion hannes. My basic tricep exercises are close grip bench presses and french presses but, for variety, sometimes I will do a cycle including rope extensions. I do them with my body leaning forward at about 45 degrees and the rope behind my head. I stretch as far as I can. They really provide a metabolic burn.

Back