Old & Grey...your program!

Jonas Olofsson

Mr O & G, Ive been reading with intrest about your program. Ive actually started a 6 week cycle (1 week 15, 2 w 10 and 3w 5) doing 10 exercises, 1 set per exercise 10 times per week (mon-fri, am-pm). Could you, if its not to much asked, post your program one more time (did see it before but cant find it now).
I know this volume is a lot higher (about double) to what you do, but since Im younger (although not young any more att 33 years of age) I thought that I maybe will get away with it.
In the morning I do:
Incline Press
Pulldown
High row (Vince Gironda style)
Shrugs
Close Grip Bench press
Drag curl (also VG style)
Wrist curl
Standing Calves
Lyining leg curl
Frog squat
In the afternoon I do:
Decline press
Seated row
Scott press
Rear delt
Decline French press
Scott curl
Reversed scott curl
Seated Calves
Seated leg curl
Legextension
I always finish with legs because I basicly run out of stean aferwards.
Your input would be apreciated.
Jonas

Jonas,

Here's a 6 day split I did a while back that worked very well for me:

AM:

Dips
Chin Ups
Shrugs
Close Grip Bench Press
Squats

PM:

DB Incline Bench Press
Seated Rows
DB Shoulder Press
Strict EZ Bar Curls
Leg Extensions

1 Set each. Total of 60 sets per week.

I too also do legs last as they take a lot out of me.

Typically I will do 1 week of 15's, 1 week of 10's, 1 week of 10 RM's with drop sets, 1 week of 5's, 2 weeks of 5 RM's with drop sets. SD will last about 14 days on a cycle of this length.

Actually, your volume is only about 50% higher than what I do. I don't count calves, abs, wrists, etc. as "real" sets since they are pretty isolated and don't take much total body effort. I do, however, count 'islolations' for bis, tris and shrugs since the movements used are a bit more compound.

I'll be interested in what you think of your 10 times per week results.

Good luck!
thumbs-up.gif

I think it is so cool how most everyone on this board will willingly post there routine.

There a some boards where folks want to keep it to themselves. I guess they are scared someone else will benefit from it.

Thanks for sharing O&G...I really like that routine. It is prolly really time efficient and effective.

Thanks,
b0x

Yeah, one of the reasons I like the 10 to 12 workout per week schemes so much is that each workout is only 15 to 20 minutes. You never get tired or dread the next set. However, because it keeps your metabolism raised for an extended period of time, you really have to eat a lot if you're looking for gains and not just trying to lean out.

not to threadjack, but I was happy to not see deadlifts. I hate them, they bother my back.

Also, is that 6 day split better for cutting/getting lean than my current full body am/pm M/W/F. Right now I do full body morning and full body night, M/W/F. And do cardio on T/T/S.

I was under the impression that the full body twice a day 3 days a week was, but I maybe wrong....so correct me if I am. i am usually only wrong once or sometimes twice a year, and this may be it
blush.gif
Just kidding.

Thanks,
b0x

Old and Grey:

You are a true gentleman on this forum! Thank you for all the tremendous help!

I'm going to follow your routine as I start my next cycle. Maybe with the Androgel (and my wife's knee replacement out of the way), I can make some good gains. Thank you!
worship.gif

i like more freq. workout for the hunger thing :) normally i have a realllllllly small appetite. but when i'm training i can eat 3500 calories eaaaaaaaasily every day.

Old and Grey I got a vacation trip coming up in exactly 1 month. So I figured I would give your routine a try. I am sure you remember my routine do to my schedule i workout 3 times a week.

I dont want to add any mass to my legs so I was just going to work my upper body until the vacation, so I am throwing out legs all together. That being said what should my volume look like if I am going to do just upperbody for 6 days a week?

I am thinking still 2 sets for chest back and shoulders and 1 set for bi's and tri's or should i up that to 3 sets for chest back and shoulders and 2 for bi's and tri's? i will not be training anything else beside my upperbody and abs. Just the beach muscles for the beach...I know this is not recommend for long term but I figured it would be okay to lean down for vacation? Your thoughts please? Thanks
:D

Box, some people believe that AM/PM workouts 3 times per week is as efficient, or even more so, than 5 to 6 times per week. My interpretation of various recent research has lead me to believe that 10 to 12 full body workouts per week is the most anabolic way to workout. My experience has supported that but I think everyone has to experiment and see what works best for them given their own ability to workout parameters. BTW, sometimes I will throw in deads in place of squats but in all honesty, they really exhaust me!

Stand, thanks for the kind, if misguided words.   :)     How is the Mrs. doing with her new knee? She probably had it replaced as soon as you started on that AndroGel to try and flee from you and your revitalized sword!  
laugh.gif

Joe, I typically split up my 60 sets per week max up as follows:

Chest      12
Back       12
Shoulders  6
Traps        6
Bis            6
Tris           6
Legs         12

Given those parameters, I would say that if you workout 6 times per week, your first idea is pretty sound. However, if you want to fill in your leg time with some additional chest, back and shoulder work for the next month, I see nothing wrong with that.    
thumbs-up.gif

Thanks O&G I think what I am going to do just b/c I am cutting and its just for 1 month only I am going to do the following routine with extra sets for upperbody b/c of no legs. That being said I would never do this for the long haul b/c its not smart training plus would most likely lead to overtraining....but I figure it will be fun for just a month to expierement with higher volume. Then SD and back to regular HST which I love. Here is the higher volume I am going to use...I am only considering this b/c I have been working out for 10 years now so i feel I am conditioned.

Chest 18 sets a week
Back 18 sets a week
Shouders 12 sets a week
bis 6 sets a week
tris 6 sets a week
and lots of ab work...all sets will be with 2 weeks of 10 tens and then 2 weeks of 8's...keeping the reps higher than five b/c I am going to try to lean down for the beach. I will let you know how it goes!

Deadlifts are such a worthwhile, functional exercise. Anyone who complains about them bothering their back isn't doing them properly. Either adjust your stance (try both sumo and conventional deadlifts) or start deadlifting olympic style. Clean/hook grips work wonders.

Ch, some of us have had back surgery for a variety of reasons and don't like to put our backs constantly under very heavy loads. However, as far as mass and general strength is concerned, you can't beat deads. When I do perform deads, I use a Trap Bar so that I am not putting as much strain on my lower back in an extended (forward) and off balance position.

Deadlifts?! Oh boy...
crazy.gif

IMHO, deadlifts are really very exhausting! I'm not complaining about back pains or anything. It's just pretty darn tiring. And doing 2 sets of 15's on it, or the 6th day of 15's... it just makes me want to stop!

What I did was to completely drop it on one cycle I had. But it's such a useful exercise, and if I remember my science correctly, it is supposedly one of the exercises that uses and hits the most number of muscles in the body (actually, I believe it is the absolute best exercise when it comes to hitting the most number of muscles, I just can't remember exactly right now).

So after that cycle, what I did was incorporate the deadlifts into my routine starting in the middle of the 10's so I only have to do 1 set (because like I said, having to do it so many times just makes me want to stop), and then do 2 sets at the 5's (the 5's are no problem because of the much fewer reps).

Regards!
-JV

Yeah, deadlifts are a lot of fun during the 15s. I used to just do squats, but once I started trying out deadlifts, I liked them so much that I decided to include them too. I workout at home, so I can't use as much weight with squats as I can with deads without risking personal injury. They do really suck during the 15s though.

O & G,

thanks for your scemes you send me over last time...

i have one question...

you mention drop sets... how are those performed?

Carlo

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 22 2005,11:02)]Jonas,
Here's a 6 day split I did a while back that worked very well for me:
AM:
Dips
Chin Ups
Shrugs
Close Grip Bench Press
Squats
PM:
DB Incline Bench Press
Seated Rows
DB Shoulder Press
Strict EZ Bar Curls
Leg Extensions
1 Set each. Total of 60 sets per week.
O&G I don't see anything in here like leg curls. Do you not do anything hamstring wise?

Oh, I am not nit-picking your routine, I am just curios. I am seriously thinking about doing this routine next cycle. It looks very promising.

O & G, thank you very much for your feedback. Im into first week of 10 now and starts to "harden up".

Im a bit surprised that you dont do anything for your hams, but I guess they got some beating from the Squats.

Your program looks "a bit" like Vince Girondas "the muscle has 4 sides" but with added frequency. Anyway, thank you again, it will be intresting to see the results.

About DL, I done a lot DL over the years, (max is 3 rep with 400 pounds without belt or straps), but it exoust me so much these days that I do them as little as possible. Still I would contribute 90% of my hamstrings to heavy DL.
Jonas

I have done a lot of deadlifting over the years...all types. Quite frankly, I only do them 3 or 4 cycles each year now because the weight I have to use is not beneficial to my back which has had a disc removed. Also, my hams and calves are about as developed as I ever want them to be so there is not much sense is working them too hard now.

Back