One final question

need2eat

and thats it, Im on the verge of pissing everyone off and confusing myself further...
biggrin.gif

Here is another hypothetical

In the past two cycles ive broken each block down as follows:

1 set of 15
2 sets of 10
3 sets of 5

Maybe its my analytical mind but the 2X10 throws me off big time.

So lets Im gonna offer up to variations to replace the 2X10 set/rep scheme, you tell me why you would pick either:

2 X 10,  5
2 X 8, 7

I know, not a major issue but like I say, Im just picky like that.  
biggrin.gif

my guess is you are trying to keep the reps to 15 per workout. 1x10 and 1x5 is ok. but we are only talking two weeks. i personally like to do 2x10's. Don't forget the warm up set in there also.

Yes, I wanna keep the reps at 15, otherwise it kinda goes against the whole logic of progressive intensity/work/total reps, in my mind.  
smile.gif
  I don't understand why there should be a "spike" there or its benefit, but Im willing to listen.

Thanks

Need these might help completely clarify some things for some of the questions youve been asking if you havent already read them, they helped me:

Sets:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=4628

Discussion on Number of overall reps to use during 15s-10s-5s:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....;t=6062

Both of the options you suggest would work aslong as your basing the weights you use on your 10RM still.

Thats pretty much 1x15 1.5x10 3x5 which keeps it constant.

Or you could do 1x15...then 2x10 the first week of 10's & 1x10 the second...then 3x5.
This also keeps the total number of reps pretty much constant as your doing 90 reps of each every 2 week block.

Im also still unsure about the whole idea that only one set of each exercise is needed to grow optimally, i still think the longer someones been training the more TUT it might take. Id think the longer you've trained the more resistant your muscles would be to strain because of RBE as brian has said before.
wow.gif

1 set per exercise may work aslong as your doing more than 1 exercise per bodypart, again id think that would depend on how long the person had been lifting for.

Don't get to caught up in the reps.

some use 15 to 20.

Some go as high as 15 to 30 Total reps.

Just make sure you are doing more work and increasing the load each workout.

If you are progressing each workout you will be okay~

to confuse you more you could do
1x15
2x10
4x5
that way your increasing load and volume
or do 3x5 with a drop set on the last set of 5.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

ah, the set rep schemes aren't too confusing, the concept of 1X15, 2X10 and 3X5, just threw me off, didn't make sense to do more work/intensity with the 15RM block, only to have it drop in the 5's, as I thought progressive work/load was part of the process.....

Besides...more volume in the 5's would be going in the wrong direction..for me personally.

Before everyone gets too lost in the science...I myself enjoy knowing how and why things work as much as the next guy. But sometimes we just have to throw out the "data" and go by a.) feel and b.) experimentation.
I think most of us have experienced lack of results from different programs, diets, studies, and let us not forget BB magazines. Inversley, some of us have experienced great successes despite the best 'guidance'.
I ascribe to the Steve Jones philosophy (if I quote him rightly) of "keep it simple and lift". Or something like that.
I believe that anything you do will stall out sooner or later, and you have to change up for more results. And when you do, you throw one guy's book out the window and read another. We know a guy (Gallaman) who uses a rotation between about 3 or 4 programs, and he's YUGE and STRONG. He learned this principle, and I guess what I'm saying is that the best program is a rotation between best programs.

Good point, I myself do not plan on staying with HST for more than 8 weeks. I have been told by other BBs that they change their routine about every 4 times a year as well.

<div>
(Cova @ Nov. 28 2006,20:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good point, I myself do not plan on staying with HST for more than 8 weeks. I have been told by other BBs that they change their routine about every 4 times a year as well.</div>
Most BBers are morons. You don't need to change your routine at all. Adding weight to the bar over time is all that will matter. You should stick to the best exercises in the world - squats, deadlifts, rows, bench, chins, dips and a couple overhead presses like military press and push press. Just do those. That will increase your strength more than changing from curls to reverse curls, squats to leg press, etc every 8 weeks.
As long as you keep adding weight to the bar over time, you will keep progressing.

Good luck.

Well wouldnt it be better to swap off with like Max stim and HST? I didn't necissarily mean do away with the best compound excersizes, merely the utilization.

<div>
(Cova @ Nov. 28 2006,23:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well wouldnt it be better to swap off with like Max stim and HST? I didn't necissarily mean do away with the best compound excersizes, merely the utilization.</div>
no...it is better to do a 'good' routine like HST or max-stim or whatever... for cycle after cycle, simply progressing the loads, than to switch to a different routine every cycle which may or may not be 'good'. Imagine doing low volume HIT for 12 weeks, then doing a cycle of HST for 12 weeks, then doing an old school volume cycle for 12 weeks, then doing the routine you read in last month's subscription to &quot;juicer&quot; etc.,etc. If only one of those routines was really succesful, then the rest would be time wasted that could have been used more efficiently doing the succesful routine all year.

Max-stim is very similar...in my opinion superior, but that is arguable. Daniel Moore developed max-stim recently, and has been one of the main HST experts for awhile. He based the routine on an HST cycle, so the similarities are there. The only big difference is that HST uses conventional sets of reps, while Max-stim is the brain-child of Dan, which uses 'fatigue-management' of 'm-time' between reps, so that a trainee can train with heavier loads and get more volume done with those loads. Also there is some theory that by minimizing fatigue, strain of the muscle fiber can be maximized...thus resulting in increased stimulation of hypertrophy over conventional sets. But again this all based on armchair hypothesis, nothing concrete really.

Either one will 'work' based on trainees results.
cool.gif

You can always up the volume like Joe or Fausto would do and go with 2x15, 3x10, 6x5.... 6x5 is a lot though in heavy weights.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Nov. 29 2006,06:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You can always up the volume like Joe or Fausto would do and go with 2x15, 3x10, 6x5.... 6x5 is a lot though in heavy weights.</div>
It certainly is. Even with only a handful of exercises it gets tough. Also, it can be tougher on your joints if you are doing the same exercises three times a week.

My preference at the moment is to drop to 4 x 5 during the second week of 5s but add a set of 10 reps with my 15RM to finish up (I've been doing 25 total reps per exercise up to this point). It's kinder to my joints but keeps the work done progressing. It feels great too. The load feels relatively light but you get a fantastic deep burn in the muscle and by avoiding failure it's not too fatiguing.

Cova: I agree with Tot and Sci. Chopping and changing every two months or so is a good way not to progress much (but at least you'll be in good company!  
biggrin.gif
). You'll never really know what's working and what isn't.

Figure out what your goals are for the year and then push towards them. If you decide on using HST as your vehicle then great. But you must stick to your plan. Set goals for every cycle and be determined to reach them. You can change up your exercises during the year to keep things fresh but keep your core w/o to variants of the major compounds.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on nutrition but keep working on what works best for you.

I think you are one of the luckier guys who has found HST early on. I wish I had known about this stuff years ago. As time goes by, Bryan, Dan and others will obviously keep us posted about new discoveries in the field of muscle science and indicate areas where we can tweak our training to improve results a little more.

At the end of the day though, whatever training method you use, your progress will boil down to consistency and drive to meet your goals.  
cool.gif

Back