Partial Reps?

The Long Run

Do partial reps increase time under tension or are you just giving yourself more useless fatigue?

I think it could be a way of increasing TUT/load for those who can't conveniently do negatives, and for those (like me) whose joints/tendons can't handle 3 rep loads without giving in.

Before I discovered HST I used to use them with good results.  But I haven't used them since as I've pretty much been sticking to basic HST principles and not going past 5 rep loads (and thus 5 reps, period) due to weak tendons/joints.

But with partial reps I could break past the 5 rep load/volume by essentially doing higher reps with the same weight.

Hi The Long Run,

I think the important thing to remember when making a decision about partial reps is what load is actually transferred to the tissue. Partial reps done in the bottom 1/2 of a movement are great. Partials done in the top 1/2 confer less load to the muscle tissue as they are not taken into a joint angle that places the most load on the muscle as opposed to the joint.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is sometimes the amount of weight that you put on the bar is not a good indicator of how much stress the target muscle will get. It all depends on how much stretch is involved and what the peak load is that's transferred to the muscle tissue.

If I'm not making sense please let me know and we'll flesh this out a bit more.
biggrin.gif

-bryan

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Oct. 17 2008,3:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anybody remember &quot;21's&quot;?    
rock.gif
</div>
I used to do 21s for curls and lying tri extensions back in the day. Great way to get a pump.

I used to love it with the once a week thing. But anyway...

If its not going to be worth the effort I won't do it. I'm a loner when it comes to training, so that means no spotter to help with the lower part of the movement.

Thanks for the reply Bryan! Much appreciated!
smile.gif

Back