PIMP MY HST E-BOOK

jvroig

Super Moderator
Vicious' Pimp My HST E-Book (pdf)

EDIT: This book isn't mine at all. Sorry for not putting up this note earlier, I assumed the title that says it is Vicious' e-book, not mine, would be obvious to everyone, but of course, newbies wouldn't get it. This E-book was written by an ol' HST Expert from the golden age
biggrin.gif
Fausto, and a lot of guys apparently, couldn't find it anymore ever since the troubles with the board started. Fausto told me about it a few days ago so I put it up.

Enjoy reading!

Regards,
-JV Roig

Question about Frequency Scheduling, Section 2.2--Page 11 (in pdf form)

"Every other day training at about the same time" is number one on your list, which is in order of preference, but then you write in parentheses that it's the least effective.  So...is number 6 on the list the most preferred ?  

I am not worried about any of the cons to a high frequency workout listed in section 2.1.1 (page 9), because my workout is pretty low volume.  Would it be better to split my workout up into 6 workouts per week (m,t,w,th,f,sat) instead of what I am doing now (mwf, all done at the same time) ?

Example:
With a MWF workout I move up in weight about 10-20 lbs everytime I workout until I reach my max numbers.  With a 6 times per week workout I would move up 5-10 lbs each time I workout

Man I just had a read of this thing...very advanced.

He's recommending as the ultimate 12 workouts per week, AM and PM 6 days per week, would this be possible for even the most conditioned natty lifter?

You'd pretty much just have to work out and eat, all day long, if you're that dedicated to lifting I imagine you'd be on the juice anyway...

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Aug. 30 2006,02:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
Yeah, there's no way I could handle that. I think I might be able to handle 6, but could be overestimating myself. Either way, I can only handle deadlifts once per week. After progressing through so many strength levels, I'm convinced that a guy's CNS does not keep up with his strength levels. I get burned out more easily on heavy weights than I did when I was 50% weaker but exerting even more effort than I do now.

Bryan did write an article critisising people who tweak HST, so I don't really know what to make of this. I spose it could be useful after 2 or 3 cycles, if things started to plateau.

Guys

The book and Jules are very unconventional, Jules writes from a point of view which is very technical, all of the insights in there are basically for us to use or peruse as it suits each one.

When are you guys going to start thinking without the &quot;written in stone&quot; inference  
rock.gif

laugh.gif

Because Jules wrote this piece on a very technical level what he's basically doing is (like the best antiobiotic) covering a very wide range of likes and dislikes across the board, as one would put it killing a whole lot of bugs!
biggrin.gif

Steve...you'd probably be alright taking the 5 day approach.... exactly as you propose, you divide your progress in 1/2 so as to avoid burning out!

What I really like are the different techniques, this is why I insisted that JV put it up again as it went missing with the upgrade!
ghostface.gif

Anyhoo that is enough ranting for one day! Guys - please take it with a pinch of salt, I don't want to get under anyone's skin!
wow.gif

Haven't read the whole ebook, but pretty much agree with Fausto--take it for things to think about, not as the &quot;Bible&quot;.

Peak_Power, I don't think that Bryan wanted to make people think that they couldn't tweak HST. What I recall reading is that the basic HST program was meant to be the most useful unaltered for the greatest number of people. It was the best &quot;one size fits all&quot; workout that he could come up with, but obviously can't be ideal for all. I think that his caution about tweaking it was that people will try to change it without understanding the underlying principles, thus getting worse results than they would with the &quot;vanilla&quot; version. So, learn the underlying principles, then change the workout as you desire consistent with the principles of HST.

Steve, having read about your powerlifting meet results, the phrase &quot;if it ain't broke, don't fix it&quot; comes to mind
biggrin.gif
. You seem to be getting great results as is.

I suspect that you're right about the CNS, though I'm not yet near where you are. Some of us recently had an interesting discussion on Dan Moore's site that brought up periodization and overtraining. Unfortunately a lot of the right experiments to prove scientifically what the ideal is haven't been done. I did note that the &quot;Madcow&quot; periodized version of the popular 5x5 routine uses high volume for a few weeks, then cuts &quot;core tonnage&quot; per week A LOT while continuing to ramp the weights for another 4 weeks. Basically it cuts reps and sets from 5 to 3, plus drops squats from 3x to 2x per week. The idea being that fatigue is not just something that you fully recover from between workouts, but it needs to be managed over cycles.

So maybe you could do higher frequency for a few weeks, but then would need to back off some. I haven't been near the weights that you are using, just throwing that out for something to think about.

Well, I don't know who jvroig is, but I assumed that he was one of the guys who collaborated with Bryan when developing HST, or at least a HST expert, because his title says he's an administrator. Therefore, I figured Bryan approved of everything in his manual before he posted. Guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until I see or at least hear some proof from others that a higher frequency than MWF is superior.

Thanks for comments

Steve, I think that JV is fairly knowledgable, but is probably an &quot;administrator&quot; because he administers this board. The book was, I believe, written by a poster who used to frequent this board under the name of vicious. I think it arose out of a long thread that I believe is &quot;stickied&quot;. I think JV just posted it because it is linked to a lot, but the links don't work, as it was lost due to problems with the board at some point.

If I'm wrong in this information, someone will probably correct me.

&quot;Pimp My HST&quot; is a very interesting piece of work and took a tremendous amount of thought and energy for Jules to come up with it. There are a ton of interesting concepts contained within it. I think people need to remember, however, that is just one man's opinion of how HST can be worked with and should not be taken as &quot;The Gospel According to Bryan&quot;.
biggrin.gif
Most folks would probably be better off just concentrating on what Bryan has written, IMHO.

To clarify this before things get out of whack:
-I didn't co-invent HST.
-I didn't have an ounce of knowledge contributed to the formation of HST.
-I am merely, like all of us here, another guy who benefitted from Bryan's work.

&quot;Administrator&quot; merely means I have enough privileges to make sure the board runs smoothly and broken stuff gets fixed.

There.

As for the e-book, see the edited post above (thread starter).

Jules is an ol' HST Expert from &quot;the golden age.&quot; His e-book is a result of the thread &quot;Tweaking HST&quot;, I believe. He's a pretty knowledgeable guy, knows his stuff. In the book, a lot of options are mentioned, following the saying &quot;There are no rules, only options&quot; or something like that, which is what Proteus9 quoted when he started the tweaking thread. Not all of those will be appliecable to everyone, and none of those are probably advisable for those just getting to know HST.

As for the &quot;HST Bible&quot;, it is pretty impossible to say what &quot;THE&quot; HST routine is, simply because HST is less a routine and more of a set of principles. Anything that properly applies the principles of HST is an HST routine, and will give you better results as long as you manage your training well. As long as you utilize progressive (over)loading, frequent training (chronic stimuli actually, just a means to achive proliferation of satellite cells, so whatever floats your boat), mechanical load of course, and SD, then you are pretty much in an HST routine, regardless (irregardless?
biggrin.gif
) of whether you train 3, 6, or 12 times a week, or if you increment every workout or every week, or you start of in 15's or 10's, or you do or don't use rep phases at all... you get the idea.

I guess you can say HST is all those factors, and isn't about missing the forest for the trees.

I'm pretty sure someone will ask me about this, so I better clarify it already. When I said, &quot;regardless of whether you train 3, 6 or 12 times a week&quot;, you are probably wondering &quot;what about CNS fatigue? Where's the proof that more is better?&quot; and so on and so forth.

The same way as reps, or even any other factor of your training, the bottom line is how you manage it. Naturally, if you train 12 times a week, that would mean you aren't doing as much work every workout as you really would in 3x a week setup. In a standard 3x a week setup, you'd be going all out, practically. In 6, 9, or 12x a week or whatever, you simply don't. It's just a matter of breaking down your total work for the week into smaller pieces.

How can that be helpful? First, fatigue management. Second, you have more energy to do more work, because you don't have to cram so much sets or exercises in just under an hour or so. By breaking them into a lot more workouts, you can stay less fatigued, yet do the same total number of reps/sets, and perhaps even add a little more. Fatigue, after all, isn't the &quot;hypertrophier&quot;. What is? Well... increasing and maintaining an increased level of protein synthesis, enough microtrauma (perhaps you can just name them as one, except that the first one relies a lot on diet), proliferation of satellite cells, blah blah blah (can we say mapK/Erk other voodoo
biggrin.gif
), which have nothing to do with fatigue at all.

Will breaking down the workouts be more beneficial? Hard to say. Will probably heavily depend on how you manage your workouts.

Regards,
-JV

<div>
(jvroig @ Aug. 31 2006,10:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Jules is an ol' HST Expert from &quot;the golden age.&quot; His e-book is a result of the thread &quot;Tweaking HST&quot;, I believe. He's a pretty knowledgeable guy, knows his stuff.</div>
Anyway, long story short, the Pimp my HST book is a result of Jules' plane crashing one day about 2 years ago, about the same time he disappeared from posting here. He survived the crash, thank GOd huh?, but was marooned on an island with only a beach ball as a companion, hmmmm sounds familar but I can't place it exactly. Naturally as any man would, when having all this time to think, his thoughts turned back to his Jedi training of HST. He refined these thoughts and wrote notes down on bannana leaves with charcoal retrieved from his campfires.

Anyway, several months passed and one day he built a raft and after many attempts paddled out to the shipping lanes at which he got rescued and returned. He immedaitely returned to HST forums and starting passing his knowledge on all who would listen. Since time had passed many of the newbs of HST had no knowledge of this man and took to his wisdom. It was then that the almighty bestowed upon him the level of expert, the HST masses rejoiced, the current Experts ( Mikey, Blade, Biz, Aaron and myself) all welcomed him into the fold, except Aaron might not have actually welcomed him it might have just been gas
rock.gif
. Anyway as the story continues, Jules passed his wisdom on for several more months at which time he mysteriously vanished, yet to be heard from.

Now personally I suspect he still lurks awaiting for the time to arise anew when confusion and torment reign within the HST world. Waiting to once again come forth and enlighten all who will listen.

So I say, raise a toast, yes raise a toast to our absent comrade, our brother in arms, our fellow HST expert, we await your return.

Thus is the story of Jules.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Aug. 31 2006,14:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(jvroig @ Aug. 31 2006,10:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Jules is an ol' HST Expert from &quot;the golden age.&quot; His e-book is a result of the thread &quot;Tweaking HST&quot;, I believe. He's a pretty knowledgeable guy, knows his stuff.</div>
Anyway, long story short, the Pimp my HST book is a result of Jules' plane crashing one day about 2 years ago, about the same time he disappeared from posting here. He survived the crash, thank GOd huh?, but was marooned on an island with only a beach ball as a companion, hmmmm sounds familar but I can't place it exactly. Naturally as any man would, when having all this time to think, his thoughts turned back to his Jedi training of HST. He refined these thoughts and wrote notes down on bannana leaves with charcoal retrieved from his campfires.

Anyway, several months passed and one day he built a raft and after many attempts paddled out to the shipping lanes at which he got rescued and returned. He immedaitely returned to HST forums and starting passing his knowledge on all who would listen. Since time had passed many of the newbs of HST had no knowledge of this man and took to his wisdom. It was then that the almighty bestowed upon him the level of expert, the HST masses rejoiced, the current Experts ( Mikey, Blade, Biz, Aaron and myself) all welcomed him into the fold, except Aaron might not have actually welcomed him it might have just been gas  
rock.gif
. Anyway as the story continues, Jules passed his wisdom on for several more months at which time he mysteriously vanished, yet to be heard from.

Now personally I suspect he still lurks awaiting for the time to arise anew when confusion and torment reign within the HST world. Waiting to once again come forth and enlighten all who will listen.

So I say, raise a toast, yes raise a toast to our absent comrade, our brother in arms, our fellow HST expert, we await your return.

Thus is the story of Jules.</div>
Best post EVA !!!

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Aug. 30 2006,09:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bryan did write an article critisising people who tweak HST, so I don't really know what to make of this. I spose it could be useful after 2 or 3 cycles, if things started to plateau.</div>
tweaking HST from the articles
I frequently hear comments both for and against tweaking or personalizing HST on an individual basis. This is to be expected among people who are real enthusiasts of weight training. You also find this irresistible urge to tweak among other enthusiasts such as audiophiles. An audiophile will go out and spend obscene amounts of money on the highest end exotic equipment they can find. But this isn't good enough! They must find some way to &quot;tweak&quot; it, some way to make it their own delectable creation. Anything from placing the turntable on a 3 inch marble slab, putting sand bags on and/or in the speakers, or using speaker wire that cost as much as the car you used to drive to the store. Whenever you find people who are really into what they are doing, they will try to find ways not only to squeeze out the last bit of performance, but also make it their own creation.

I think it comes down to a couple issues which I'll address after a short review for those new to HST.

First let me clarify that HST is based on physiologically sound principles, not numbers. In short, they are:

Progressive load
Training volume
Training frequency
Conditioning (Repeated Bout effect)/Strategic Deconditioning
So we are dealing with 4 basic issues, Load, Volume, Frequency and Conditioning. Within these basic factors we have reps, sets, and rest. HST differs from previous training methods in many aspects, but particularly in how it incorporates knowledge of how the &quot;cell&quot; physiologically responds to the training stimulus in its methodology. Previous methods focus on effort (A.K.A Intensity), current voluntary strength, and psychological factors such as fatigue and variety (i.e. many different exercises).

The number of Reps is determined by the minimum effective load (this changes over time based on Conditioning)
The number of Sets is determined by the minimum effective volume (this changes over time according to current load and Conditioning status.)
The Rest between sets is determined by the amount of time required to regain sufficient strength to successfully achieve the minimum effective Volume.
The Frequency (rest between workouts) is determined by the ability of the CNS to recover sufficiently to maintain baseline &quot;health&quot; indicators. It is also determined by the time course of genetic expression resultant from the previous workout.
The interval of Strategic Deconditioning (SD) is determined by the time course of adaptation to the individuals maximum weight loads. In other words, SD is required to reset growth potential after plateauing. The duration of SD is determined by the level of conditioning attained during the training cycle.
Anyone who argues with these points after understanding them correctly is in error. That is a strong statement but it is true. These are principles that we &quot;know&quot; from research and experience. The data from this research is not theoretically based. It is based on identification, measurements, and direct microscopic observation. All future research will show us is more genetic detail, NOT that we were wrong on some sort of fundamental basis. So, anyone can with confidence apply these principles to their training and successfully induce muscular hypertrophy.

If anyone should attempt to apply these principles and not experience some degree of muscle growth, it is not because the principles are wrong, it is because the application of the principles was flawed. Once again, another strong statement, but it is true. For example, just because you plant a garden and water it does not mean you will successfully grow prize-winning vegetables. Does this mean that your garden acted by some other mysterious agricultural principles other than those based on water, sunlight and soil? Of course not! We &quot;know&quot; the principles of growing plants. Where we fail, is in our application of those known principles.

The application is where the details lie. Issues such as how much, how many, how fast, when and where to name a few.

Whether it be growing plants, or growing muscle, you are dealing with a moving target. Because plants are alive, or put another way, because plants are biological systems, the best application of agricultural principles to grow vegetables will change as conditions change. The same is true for the application of the principles of hypertrophy or muscle growth. The application will change as conditions change. All the while, being careful to stay faithful to the underlying &quot;known&quot; principles.

Why do people tweak and change HST? Well, when done haphazardly it is usually because they have no faith in the underlying principles. This almost never leads to progress, only constant tinkering and frustration. Without adequate knowledge of the principles, and faith in their effectiveness, their expectations will never be realized and their &quot;locus of control&quot; will move ever outwards, blaming everything but themselves for their lack of progress.

In contrast, when people tweak and change their program based on changing conditions, they almost always experience success and they gain valuable experience in the process. Their locus of control will move inwards and they will grow ever more effective at adjusting their training as conditions dictate to keep the gains coming.

If you find yourself lacking faith in your training program, you will most likely fail to reach your goals. You must first prepare yourself. Take it upon yourself to gain the required knowledge of the principles of muscle growth. Only then will you really have faith in your plan. Look up the studies and compare the traditional methods to what the research tells you. Ask questions of people who seem to have faith in what they are doing. Find out whether they are doing it because they were told to do it, or because they know it is the right way to do it. And of course, ponder your own experience and try to make sense of past periods of growth and past periods of stagnation.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Best post EVA !!! </div>Yes, dammit! How did I miss that one?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">except Aaron might not have actually welcomed him it might have just been gas
rock.gif
</div>
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back