Plyometrics - does anyone use these?

My swimming skills are pretty dismal lol but i try and do some basic laps for warm down. I don't get any enjoyment out of swimming really, I'm the same with running. Not really a fan, I'd rather skip or hit the bag about a thousand times more. Plyo strength comes in time you're right. 15 is a great start, when I started I can't remember how many times I face planted trying to get to 20.

Running is soooo stupid. If God (or the universe, whichever/whatever) had wanted us to be runners, we'd all either be Usain Bolt or just big cats like Cheetahs. QED, we shouldn't eff'ing run ;)

How often do you do plyometrics?

For boxing I've been doing band-punches, ~200 per arm. Just jabs and crosses, although I've figured out how to get uppercuts happening (the entire punch, which is great). Doing them is almost likely cardio for the arms, so I'm wondering what lengths I should be pushing it to. Obviously no one would recommend jumping squats or box jumps every day - for example.

Honestly it depends on your tolerance for such things. I find my body adapts easily to plyometrics and I can do them everyday with little to no fatigue. I have friends who do it once every second or third day because they find it taxing on their nervous system. And, would I recommend box jumps everyday; well once again it depends on your tolerance for such things. Will it increase your power if you do it every day? I've seen it do so, but with copious amounts of protein and the individual was an athlete so was used to taxing work. You need to experiment a little and see how you respond. I have been working out 2 times a day 2 days in a row with a rest day in between with some pretty impressive strength gains, and that is generally highly not recommended (lifting heavy). Just to give you an example i've gone from a 90kg max bench to a 110kg max bench in 6 weeks and I was focusing on my overhead press! (Now at 90kg max military, from 70kg).

Experiment a little i'd recommend and challenge accepted notions of training. Engage your critical thinking but listen to your body. I obviously wouldn't recommend that for new trainees though.

I suppose my instinct against doing jumping or box squats on a daily basis is due to the impacts upon the joints, gravity being a biatch etc.

I'm a big fan of your strength program (the brief layout you gave) and it doesn't surprise me at all that you made gains like that. What's the set-rep breakdown like, out of curiosity? And bench is all about the delts IMO. The best chest exercise is a weighted dip, IMO ... /tangent.

I find plyometrics are more strenuous on connective tissue and joints than muscles.

I totally agree with you on the box jumps, that's why I usually jump with the weight and the ditch it before decent. That way I get the bonus of the added weight without the bum knees.

Thanks man, so far so good. I use a varied rep scheme generally lifting heavy for 3-5 reps on my main lifts that I want to get stronger on and then in the last set drop the weight by 50% and go for as long as I can. I also once every so often do a pyramid going up and then down. Smaller muscle groups I tend to use a circuit alternating between exercises with no rest and then begin again. E.g. Close grip bench (Tris), then barbell curls then Tricep Push Down, then Rope, etc. Rest 60 seconds then hit it again. My leg training for this training cycle is volume heavy doing around 240 weighted lunges (they vary, e.g. side lunge, front lunge, rear lunge.).

As far as the bench goes I would have agreed with you fully about a year or so ago, until I started changing how I performed my flat bench. I generally bench like a Gironda Bench Press, almost to the throat. I find that actually hits my chest pretty good and I get a good stretch. My favourite exercise for chest tends to be incline dumbbell presses palms facing in with a tight squeeze at the top, but weighted dips also kick arse.

Spot on with the plyometrics. I think my tolerance is high due to a high volume of body weight work I did when I was younger. (High volume low intensity work strengthens ligaments and tendons, preparing the body for heavier loads). Joint's wise you just need to watch your rotatory cuffs as a lot of those motions may cause RSI.

I actually don't have any rotary cuff issues. A little 'tightening' from growing older etc.

Re: benching to the neck/collarbone - fair enough, I know that works for a lot of people, though I can't say it's a groove/ROM that works for me. For a benching exercise I've always preferred the Incline BB at about 15-20degrees above floor-parallel.

I added ~15kg's to my bench maximum in ~5wk period (110->125kg) doing pyramidal triples (nothing scientific, I just moved the volume from reps to sets e.g. 3 sets of 5 to 5 sets of 3).

Hmm I gotta try that. always wanted to do singles or triples, as I never really did a lower rep scheme like that but I think I will.

Re: 15 degree incline with dumbbels; also my favourite chest exercise, but my palms always face towards each other as I feel it hits my chest more. (Funny how it's so dip-like) I only recently started committing more to a gironda barbell press.

Low reps are so much better for strength training than higher ones, IMO. I was tired of not being able to push out 3x 5, like, I might get 3 on that 3rd set (say 105, 107.5, 110), so instead the next session went 3 reps each 102.5, 105, 107.5, 110, 112.5 PB ... and just went with it and kept going until I hit 125 and then hit a plateau and started to bring that up to 5 reps etc. I went back to Dips shortly after, I think I'm moving about 135 or so on those (115-120kg BW with the clothes and shoes etc). Dips are just such a natural movement, the same way chins/pulls are.

Back