Power Bodybuiling and HST

jpcowboy

This is a very long-winded post, but I feel it is relevant. Somebody may have already posted something on this, and since I am not one to read EVERY thing here, I apologize if I am just repeating myself.

There are many of us that love the idea of having a big body that, by and large, is also very powerful. I love the principles that Bryan Haycock has developed for HST, and I feel that the relevance of them should never be lost or taken for granted. I truly feel, however, that there are many many individuals that want the power along with the size, and I feel I have been able to utilize Bryan's methods to effectively create a program that caters to both.

One of the most classically used of old bodybuilding methods is training to your max at every workout. Bryan's explanation of HST tells us that, for pure size, this is a mistake. However, training at your maximum capacity every workout is part of what makes this work.

The largest and most significant principle that Mr. Haycock employs to HST is progressive loading. This is an absolute must in this program as well. I know that many of you are wondering just how you can progressively load your muscles while working at your max every time.

Well, this is what I feel makes this program unique. You will begin this program at your light max, and progressively, over the course of two weeks, work to your heavy max.

Ex. Spend one week finding your rep maxes for every major max number, that being your 15s, 12s, 10s, 8s, 5-6s, and 3rm.

Finding your 3 rep max is essential for this being a program that utilizes power and bodybuilding.

After you find your maxes, spend one week on just 15s as your program doesn't actually start until you get to your 12s. At this point you will have noticed that there are extra numbers you will find your maxes for. This is essential so that you don't progress too quickly.

Now that you have your maxes, you should be able to get through every max in a matter of only two weeks.

Ex. Monday is 12s, Wednesday is 10s, Friday is 8s, ect. Here is the tough part. How do you expect to train three days of every week when your maxes would obviously end at your 3rm on Wednesday the very next week. Well, this is why we shouldn't forget your negatives.

Now, if you're like me, that means you hate training with other people. Bodybuilders are, by and large, the most selfish athletes in the world, and we just don't give a damn whether others like that or not. This is not a bad thing. I actually think training partners are a waste of time. When you have a training partner, you almost always end up using similar weights on every lift, whether you are weaker, stronger, or similar, which means that, one way or another, you end up catering to their needs.

This attitude, of course, puts a dent in your program, and now negatives are no longer possible. In this instance, I use rest-pause between the 5-6 maxes and 3s. The way in which I utilize rest-pause is to stay at the 5-6 rep max and pump out 3 reps every 15-20 seconds for a series of 3-5. I may do this a second time, but it depends on my energy levels.

If you do have a training partner and absolutely HAVE to do negatives, just do your negatives after your 3s. Negative put too much of a toll on your body.

This all might seem like a lot, but most of you were doing similar amounts of work before HST, and this is still within the parameters of HST law, so to speak.

So, now that we've established how this works, knowing that week one is 12rm, 10rm, and 8rm, and week two is 5-6rm, rest-pause, then 3rm, what happens after two weeks go by? Do we utilize Strategic Deconditioning at this point? Not yet.

One reason HST works so well is that, ultimately, you end up working up to your maxes. In this program, you stick with your maxes at all times. After the first session, just do everything over, with the same weights, reps, and sets, for another two weeks. While we utilize progressive load over the course of two weeks, it is a bad idea to increase the weights beyond our established maxes just yet. In fact, I would suggest utilizing a full 4 or 6 weeks with the same maxes before using strategic deconditioning.

So, in review, let's say your max bench press is 300 lbs for 6 reps, Monday of week one might look like this:

Monday: 12x2-4 of 270 (12 rep max)
Wednesday: 10x2-4 of 280 (10 rep max)
Friday: 8x2-4 of 290

Week 2:

Monday: 5-6x2-4 of 300
Wednesday: rest-pause using 5-6 rep max but doing 3 reps 3-5 times every 15-20 seconds
Friday: 3 rep max for 2-3 sets with maximum rest periods (2-4 minutes). On major compound lifts, put the safety bar stops (if available) near the bottom of the lift for every lift in which you do not have a training partner. This is essential for your power day.

Again, I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed as a possible training method, but I feel it is legitimate. By the way, since this type of lifting regime is so taxing, I actually lift every day to ensure I'm not completely wiped out the next day. Monday is pushing movements for exercises such as bench press and squat (I include the three shoulder lifts here as well such as presses, side laterals, and bent over side rows for the rear deltoid head). Tuesday is then used for pulling movements such as hamstring exercises and bent over barbell rows for the back (I also make sure that, for hamstrings and lower back, I do two sets of stiff-legged dead lifts followed by two sets of leg curls.)

I hope this helps those with a craving of power along with bodybuilding. Please let me know if this is something you feel will work (or if my method is completely asinine. I hope not.)

Back