pre workout nutrition

thezakisback

Getting ready to start my first cycle on Monday.. I've always known about how important your postworkout meal is, but one thing i never really bothered with was a pre workout meal or shake. I workout first thing in the morning so i usually just head to the a gym about a half hour after i wake up. Should i be taking some type of pre workout shake and if so, what % carbs and protein.

Yes, you should.

Pre workout take about 20-30 grams of a fast acting Protein with the same in high GI carbs, post workout take more protein (fast or slow, depending on how soon you plan on eating again) with or without carbs, taking it without carbs helps get more protein into the blood faster than if you take the carbs at the same time. Then take the carbs about an hour later.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ June 02 2005,4:41)]taking it without carbs helps get more protein into the blood faster than if you take the carbs at the same time

I'm pretty sure there have been studies showing that a shake containing protein and high GI carbs creates a higher spike in insulin levels than a shake containing just high GI carbs. I'm not sure what role, if any, insulin plays in determining how fast protein gets into the blood, but why would adding high GI carbs to your protein shake make it take longer for the protein to get into your blood?

Enterocytes are cells which line the small intestine. They have three major functions of secretion, digestion and absorption. There are some references to these cells acting (absorbing) on protein during anabolic states of insulin abundance. To what degree, I don't know but any advantage we can get to have more extracellular protein about, to me is good thing. You still are acheiving the anabolic spike in your pre workout meal and if taken within the window of an hour post, the lack of carbs immediately after the workout aren't gonna break your gains.

Back